K701 thread
Dec 30, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #1,261 of 2,619

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Most people(myself included) seem like like its synergy with the Matrix M-Stage(Lovely Cube, Lehmman BCL)

I didn't quite enjoy the K701's with my D1's headphone output.

I was wondering if someone compared the Matrix to the Lehmman?

I have seen no comparison. But there are differences most in different caps so they are not identical. When I owned the Matrix and the the 701 is was a synergistic match. The 701 stepped up considerable and the bass was very tight and controlled. The Matrix was also good with my T1 and the D7000. For the money I still think this amp cannot be beat and if you own the AKG 701/7802 you cant go wrong with this combo.

if i got the matrix, what DAC would be good to match it with?

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,263 of 2,619
Hey guys.  On the lookout for an amp/DAC too and I thought that seeing as you guys have more experience with the 701s than me, that maybe you can help me out.  I really wanted to get an M-Stage but I couldn't find a DAC to go with it.  My choices were the Mavrick D1 (which I thought might be a bit low end compared to the headphones and amp?) or the Matrix Mini i.

Lately I've been strongly considering the Yulong D100.  Seems like it's a solid performer all round but the amp isn't quite up to the standard of the M-Stage from what I understand.

Any comments or advice?  Not sure which to get, but I am leaning toward the Yulong.  Budget is looking something like £300-400.

Also I would like to get another pair, but I was having trouble sourcing them from an official stockist/dealer.  The pair I use now were from amazon via a German reseller and they arrived in a tatty and torn box.  It was a bit of a moment killer, but I was so pleased to get my hands on them I just forgot about it.

Anyone know a legit source online that ships to the UK?  Not really bothered if they aren't the cheapest, just as long as they are supplied as directly from AKG as poss, so I know they haven't been getting kicked around in a warehouse or anything.

Oh finally, can someone clue me in on the versions of K701?  On the silver bits I just have an AKG text logo, but I've seen versions with a graphical logo behind it.  Which is more recent?  My pair is in the 52,000s

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #1,264 of 2,619

Quote:
Hey guys.  On the lookout for an amp/DAC too and I thought that seeing as you guys have more experience with the 701s than me, that maybe you can help me out.  I really wanted to get an M-Stage but I couldn't find a DAC to go with it.  My choices were the Mavrick D1 (which I thought might be a bit low end compared to the headphones and amp?) or the Matrix Mini i.

Oh finally, can someone clue me in on the versions of K701?  On the silver bits I just have an AKG text logo, but I've seen versions with a graphical logo behind it.  Which is more recent?  My pair is in the 52,000s

For budget Amp/Dac you can't go wrong with Audio gd "Compass" or newer "Fun". My K701 is permanently hooked up to my Compass at work. With using Opa Moon K701 sound so much better.

I have K701 with AKG text logo only and it is 36xxx. I believe one with AKG logo is the older model.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #1,265 of 2,619

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Most people(myself included) seem like like its synergy with the Matrix M-Stage(Lovely Cube, Lehmman BCL)

I didn't quite enjoy the K701's with my D1's headphone output.

I was wondering if someone compared the Matrix to the Lehmman?

I have seen no comparison. But there are differences most in different caps so they are not identical. When I owned the Matrix and the the 701 is was a synergistic match. The 701 stepped up considerable and the bass was very tight and controlled. The Matrix was also good with my T1 and the D7000. For the money I still think this amp cannot be beat and if you own the AKG 701/7802 you cant go wrong with this combo.

if i got the matrix, what DAC would be good to match it with?

If you're planing using a computer as your music player, you can try to get the RME Digi 96 on ebay.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #1,266 of 2,619
Ibasso D4 is a relatively cheap DAC.  Great price/performance ratio, and its small.  If you need something other than USB though, look elsewhere.

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,267 of 2,619

Quote:
Ibasso D4 is a relatively cheap DAC.  Great price/performance ratio, and its small.  If you need something other than USB though, look elsewhere.

how would it sound compared to something like the FUN? I realize the FUN would sound better, but I was thinking of getting the D4 as a temp for home/permanent portable then saving up for the FUN. also, does the usb support 24/96, or just 16/44?

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,269 of 2,619
I haven't heard the FUN, but I know the D4 has dual chips and the FUN only has one (albeit a different model, WM8740 in the D4 as opposed WM8741 in the FUN).

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,271 of 2,619
The M-Stage is amazing with the K701.  Brings out the best of the headphone, and adds some much needed heft in the lower end.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #1,273 of 2,619
USB can only support 16/44.1 if I'm not mistaken.  DACs that do higher bit rates via USB use upsampling hardware/software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back