K701 thread
Sep 19, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #1,097 of 2,619

Quote:
NAD 302's old potentiometer went 'unbalanced' recently...  

I changed to new unit at  20kohms.. now the NAD 302 sounds too much power... i hardly pass 9 o'clock with K701, even with the most difficult drumtracks.. Does someone know how to reduce NAD302 gain?, for free off course...

Thx.

(I still love my K701 though...)

Okay...  got it...

now i am using NAD302 pre-out feeding K701...  max volume at 1pm...

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #1,098 of 2,619
They sell adapters, forgot what they were called to I think increase impedance.  Basically just a series of resistors between the ouput and your headphone cable.

In order to mod your unit to have less gain you would have to go into it, and figure out where the gain is physically taking action.  On the Mav D1 for example some people changed a few resistors in the right spot to lower gain.  Couldn't really explain any more than that, I don't completely understand the purpose of every little piece of a circuit board like some others around here which have more skill and knowledge.

The pre-out probably isn't the best place to get the most out of your can but could be wrong.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #1,100 of 2,619
I'm listening to my K701s right now, I wired them straight into a 2X50watt rms tube speaker amplifier...biggest soundstage I've heard out of these things yet.  Sounds wonderful, great matchup, really musical.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #1,101 of 2,619

Quote:
I just got mine today and I must say I was expecting less bass based on posts here. It is a little light but not bad at all. In most recordings it sounds just about right. These are honestly great for gaming probably the best I've used thus far. I'm still putting them through their paces but so far I'm impressed.

Hey Napalmk, what do you think when compare between K701 and AD2000?

When I compare K701 and AD1000PRM, I found that K701 has better separation and offering better naturality, while AD1000PRM has thicker and more lush vocal.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,102 of 2,619
Quote:
Hey Napalmk, what do you think when compare between K701 and AD2000?

When I compare K701 and AD1000PRM, I found that K701 has better separation and offering better naturality, while AD1000PRM has thicker and more lush vocal.

I think those are close to my initial findings though I haven't had the time to do a head to head so I'm going from memory so please don't take this a my final word. Here are my initial impressions and quasi-comparison I wrote last night. I've included a conclusion if you don't want to read all of it. I also didn't say too much about the highs or mids as they take a bit more time for me to form an impression. Take these with a good sized chunk of salt as I haven't been able to do a direct comparison between these two and of course these are just my opinions and nothing more.

[size=16pt]Initial musing on the AD2000 vs K701[/size]

Equipment used:

PC->uDac->Gilmore Lite->AD2000 and K701 (though the comparison was NOT direct.)

Of all the cans I've owned the AD2000s have come closest to perfection. They do lack a little weight in the bass department but almost everything else is good sound wise. The lack of weight is made up for by the detailed, fast, punchy and defined bass. Very nice something I don't get from my modded D2000s. The K701s bass is pretty punchy but not as well defined as the AD2000 not something that's particularly surprising as the AD2000 has some of the best bass I've heard.

Mids and Highs:
The K701 lacks the succulent midrange of the AD2000 and the highs are more elevated. Nothing too bad but a little uncomfortable nonetheless. I do notice some level of sibilance but it's not too bad on most recordings or even present on some. In all fairness I feel like a little less treble than what I'd imagine is neutral.

With the AD2000s vocals are absolutely chilling. They captivate and pull me deep into the music. Why hello there Ms. Krall. The AD2000 just carries so much emotion due to the lush midrange. The mids on the K701 seem a little leaner and are probably more neutral but don't carry the same weight (feeling).

Bass:
The surprising thing about the K701 is the bass. Though not as impressive and defined as the AD2000 it still manages to output some pretty great bass. I do feel that the bass is a little anemic but not nearly what I was lead to believe reading some of the posts here. In fact in some recordings it sounds perfectly fine and natural. Listening to Norah Jones "Chasing Pirates" almost everything meshes together very nicely.

The more I listen to the K701 the more I think the bass is natural. The bass is somewhat of an enigma as with some recordings (including many I felt it would be anemic with) the bass is almost perfect. Nightwish "Wishmaster" The bass is absolutely perfect quantity wise. Perhaps it is a little lean though punchy and fast. However, listening to Daft Punk it seems they need just a bit more bass though it's not revolting to listen to in the least.

Soundstage:
I like the large soundstage on the K701 but I prefer a smaller, more intimate soundstage for jazz recordings. Everything just sounds too spread out. Miles Davis isn't playing in a small nightclub on the corner but rather a symphony hall. It also seems very unnatural that the instruments are spaced so far from each other. It seems like they have at least 30-40 feet or so of space between each of the band members.

I does make gaming very easy though. I've been called a hacker I don't know how many times since I got these (They do better than my DT990/250 in this regard as well). These in MW2 combined with Sit Rep Pro are very scary and quite frankly should be illegal. 
biggrin.gif
Imaging is top notch as I'm able to shoot people through walls if I want though I generally refrain from doing so for obvious reasons. The large soundstage at least to me is a bonus here albeit very unnatural. I can hear someone coming towards my position a good 5 seconds before they reach me which gives me plenty of time to adjust accordingly.

The AD2000 lacks a large soundstage compared to the K701 but it feels more natural when listening to music and gaming. Gaming and music also seems more immersive on the AD2000 than the K701. The K701 sounds like it will bring you all of the technical details but doesn't necessarily provide the immersion like the AD2000. To be a little clearer I feel like the K701 makes me "Elite-Haxor" superhuman or cyborg (depending on preference) whereas the AD2000 is more natural. The footsteps are closer to where I would hear them in "real life". It's hard to describe really, the feeling I get from the AD2000s soundstage. I guess it's more or less effortless whereas I think about where the person is with the K701 probably because they are so far out (though that's far from a bad thing). Positioning is good on both though it's hard to say from memory which one does a better job with it.

Detail:
The level of detail these cans have is also very good. I haven't been able to do a direct comparison to the AD2000s but I'll try to do so soon. I do feel the K701s separation allows me to hear more details but I'm not sure which has more. The AD2000s level of detail seems to be at least that of the DT990/250 I had but I'll have to do a direct comparison.

Summary:
In case you were lazy.......which is completely understandable as I've probably rambled some and repeated myself just read this. While the K701s are good headphones in their own right, I prefer the AD2000s in most regards. Bass is more detailed and defined on the AD2000s. Mids are lush on the AD2000s which make vocals simply outstanding while the K701 seems pretty close to neutral. I would say the mids are fairly Gradoesque with a more forward-sound. The highs are more elevated on the K701 though not generally to sibilance level (recording dependent it seems). I would say, just guessing these two cans somewhat straddle the neutral point in terms of highs. The soundstage is much larger on the K701 though it can seem unnatural at times. Imaging and separation are great on both cans and it's hard to pick a winner in this area from memory (as I don't have the time to do a full on comparo). I would also say the AD2000s sound somewhat smoother than the K701s are a little nicer with bad recordings. Both cans are very good but again it seems it all comes down to personal preference. I can see people hating the K701 and loving the AD2000 and vice versa as they are very, very different. I personally feel the AD2000 are technically better but I didn't expect the K701s to be this good either. For the $200 price point (used) these are a worthy contender.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #1,103 of 2,619
thx for the nice impression NapalmK.

When I compared 701 with AD1000PRM with my friend, he also prefer the AD1000PRM, he said that ATH has better vocality and more engaging. But for me, the 701 is offering more accurate sound which is bring me closer to "life-like" sound, yes that ATH is more engaging, but K701 give me better imaging which is I appreciate so much.  So I pick the 701. 
smile.gif

and also, with GV DAC - Linearossa K3 - AKG K701, it's hardly for me to pick sibilance (at least in my song lists), but I usually using headphone for low volume listening, maybe that's why I feel free from sibilance.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #1,104 of 2,619
NapalmK, I have been listening to my AD2000 single-ended through my EF5 for now, and they sound fantastic to me, so my findings pretty much mirror yours with them. But listening to the K701 balanced through my WA22, they really scale up compared to listening to them SE on the EF5. I would have to say it's a bit more of a toss-up this way, but when I listen to both through the EF5 I agree with your findings. Sadly I have not had a chance to listen to my AD2000 balanced because I don't really want to re-cable them. But I am looking forward to listening to them out of my RA5000 when I get it back, which really shines with the W5000. Amp synergy can really make a difference here, what a hobby!

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #1,105 of 2,619

Quote:
Perhaps the first part is wrong, but the second part could be some vibration close to the driver.  If you have warranty on them I would suggest just exchanging them rather than opening them up.  I personally have no static on mines.

yea I think that's what I'll do the place I ordered them from said they'd be happy to exchange them out for me if I had any issues.. the crazy thing is they are a authorized ebay store.. I had no idea ebay stores had service like this!

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,106 of 2,619
Quote:
thx for the nice impression NapalmK.

When I compared 701 with AD1000PRM with my friend, he also prefer the AD1000PRM, he said that ATH has better vocality and more engaging. But for me, the 701 is offering more accurate sound which is bring me closer to "life-like" sound, yes that ATH is more engaging, but K701 give me better imaging which is I appreciate so much.  So I pick the 701. 
smile.gif

and also, with GV DAC - Linearossa K3 - AKG K701, it's hardly for me to pick sibilance (at least in my song lists), but I usually using headphone for low volume listening, maybe that's why I feel free from sibilance.

No problem. Both are very good cans. It looks like I'm going to have some fun with these. The more I listen to the K701 the more I'm liking it. It's definitely not the AD2000 but it does many things well. Oh and for reference, I'm listening to them with the volume knob on the on the uDac at 3 and on the G Lite at 10:30-11.

Quote:
NapalmK, I have been listening to my AD2000 single-ended through my EF5 for now, and they sound fantastic to me, so my findings pretty much mirror yours with them. But listening to the K701 balanced through my WA22, they really scale up compared to listening to them SE on the EF5. I would have to say it's a bit more of a toss-up this way, but when I listen to both through the EF5 I agree with your findings. Sadly I have not had a chance to listen to my AD2000 balanced because I don't really want to re-cable them. But I am looking forward to listening to them out of my RA5000 when I get it back, which really shines with the W5000. Amp synergy can really make a difference here, what a hobby!

Awesome! It's good to know I'm not completely off base with my thoughts. I'm still pretty green when it comes to audio but I've come a long way since I joined Head-Fi. I've had a lot more time with the AD2000s than with the K701 so I've probably got some bias there. They are just so engaging and musical. They kind of remind me of the Grado HP1 (one of my favorite cans) I auditioned at a meet which I felt had a somewhat elevated midrange but managed to keep a very natural feeling. I'll definitely do a full comparison sometime soon as I get enough time. I'm really enjoying both of these cans.

It's good to know they scale well. The only hybrid amp I've heard is the EF2 and I did not think it meshed well with the AD2000s. I felt it gave the midrange a very artificial feel though in fairness I only tried it with them for a couple of days before I sold it for my G Lite. I've heard the EF5 is much better though I have yet to hear it. Listening to the K701 I do think a tube amp or hybrid would probably be the way to go with these as the main thing I'd like from the K701 is a little more mid presence and just a little less treble (and maybe a bit more bass). For the AD2000s though the G Lite is great as they don't need anymore "help" in the mids and the clean, fast sound, detailed sound this combo provides is great.

At this point I don't see me selling either of these cans in the near future as I feel they compliment each other pretty nicely.

If you do decide to go balanced let me know what you think of it compared to single ended. I may look into that.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,107 of 2,619

Quote:
yea I think that's what I'll do the place I ordered them from said they'd be happy to exchange them out for me if I had any issues.. the crazy thing is they are a authorized ebay store.. I had no idea ebay stores had service like this!

Harmon/AKG may have authorized some temporary liquidators outside of their normal dealer network to get rid of old stock on fleabay in anticipation of the "new model" K701s they will be rolling out soon, good find!

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #1,109 of 2,619

Quote:
I'm listening to my K701s right now, I wired them straight into a 2X50watt rms tube speaker amplifier...biggest soundstage I've heard out of these things yet.  Sounds wonderful, great matchup, really musical.
smile_phones.gif

I'm with Komebudu, how exactly did you manage this? Did you thrown a trillion resistors in there, or maybe a transformer? (I'm no EE or DIYer, so enlighten me)

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #1,110 of 2,619

Quote:

Harmon/AKG may have authorized some temporary liquidators outside of their normal dealer network to get rid of old stock on fleabay in anticipation of the "new model" K701s they will be rolling out soon, good find!

What do you mean by 'new model?' 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back