K701 thread
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #931 of 2,619
Yes, I fall into this category.  SS amplificatio is not bad for K701 at all - there are certain advantages.  I found certain advantages with tube amplification also - which I liked a lot.

Quote:
Among those people who didn't like the k701, is there anyone who tried them with tube amps? Did you start liking them with a tube amp instead of a SS amp?
Has any of you tried them specifically with the bravo/indeed G2 amp? They're very cheap on ebay.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #932 of 2,619

Quote:
Among those people who didn't like the k701, is there anyone who tried them with tube amps? Did you start liking them with a tube amp instead of a SS amp?
Has any of you tried them specifically with the bravo/indeed G2 amp? They're very cheap on ebay.

I am by my own admissions a "tube guy". But, with I was never a fan of the K701s with any tube amp I've ever heard. SS amps just always sounded better with them. Even cheaper SS amps. They really need a good current supply to sound their best.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #933 of 2,619

Quote:
I am by my own admissions a "tube guy". But, with I was never a fan of the K701s with any tube amp I've ever heard. SS amps just always sounded better with them. Even cheaper SS amps. They really need a good current supply to sound their best.

i agree completely.  they sound alright with my wa6, but much better with my humble caliente.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #934 of 2,619
i have a new found respect for the k70x headphone.  I tried the k701 months ago and hated them.  right now i have a recabled k702 and i think it does everything pretty well.  it doesnt do anything great though (to my ears) but for 200 in the FS forum, i think these might be one of the best in the 300 and down range as long as you have a decent amp. none of my amps are great so maybe if i had a great amp, they would scale up too but to me theres just no wow factor; theres a lot of ah that sounds good factor though.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #935 of 2,619

Quote:

I agree based off of my limited experience.

With my hybrid EF-1 amp they just didn't get the power they needed, even being a hybrid amp. With my M-Stage they do. Never tried a straight tube amp.

Btw nice avatar, Rush is the best band ever. EVER.
cool.gif
Saw them once this summer and got 2 more shows to go.
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #936 of 2,619

Quote:
i have a new found respect for the k70x headphone.  I tried the k701 months ago and hated them.  right now i have a recabled k702 and i think it does everything pretty well.  it doesnt do anything great though (to my ears) but for 200 in the FS forum, i think these might be one of the best in the 300 and down range as long as you have a decent amp. none of my amps are great so maybe if i had a great amp, they would scale up too but to me theres just no wow factor; theres a lot of ah that sounds good factor though.

Maybe you can try the Phonitor and see if you'll get the some reaction from yourself.

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #937 of 2,619

Quote:
Btw nice avatar, Rush is the best band ever. EVER.
cool.gif
Saw them once this summer and got 2 more shows to go.
beerchug.gif

Gotta love Rush!

Just saw them a few weeks back here in Toronto (Rush's home town) and they can still ROCK!.
beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #941 of 2,619

Quote:

I didn't like tube amp just becasue I have to spend on tubes every year= =
I am pretty happy with my M stage now
k701smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #942 of 2,619
I used the Little Dot MK11 for a year on the 701 and they were nice. The Matrix brought it to another level and the Decware as well. They do work with tube amps and sound as well but the Matrix sounded best when i owned the 701.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #943 of 2,619

Quote:
Gotta love Rush!

Just saw them a few weeks back here in Toronto (Rush's home town) and they can still ROCK!.
beerchug.gif

Oh yea, they've been great live post 2000, even better than in the 90's when I first saw them imo. First saw them in '94 on the Counterparts tour when I was 16. Then twice on the Test For Echo tour (both legs), once on the Vapor Trails tour, again on the R30 tour, and then twice on the Snakes and Arrows tour (both legs). Then in KC on the current tour and 2 more to go this summer. And they'll be touring next summer in all likelihood! 
L3000.gif

My favorite band by far for 20 years now (and I'm just 33, got into them when I was 13).

Quote:
Yeah, already checked, no signs of a visit to Australia though 
frown.gif

I don't think they've ever come to Australia. They've recently just been making it to South America and they don't even get to Europe on every tour (in the past).

Btw, I enjoy Rush with my 702's. The wide sound stage and detail/clarity is great with their music. I also listen to them with my Grados when I feel like just "rocking", but I listen to them with my 702's more.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #944 of 2,619
The K701 is not a headphone I'd normally use for music, but hooked up to the Fiio E7 at Bass Boost 3 gave it some good body, enough to fit my preferences. I wouldn't have an issue using these with music with the E7 + Bass Boost 3. Fun, clearer than anything I've ever used, and and overall pleasant tone all around. =)

Blah, blah, don't need to hear the typical "buy better amps" bull. I like it as is. Besides, I only really bought them for gaming purposes with my Mixamp, which sound practically perfect in that way.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #945 of 2,619
^ It's not really "bull", people are just trying to say that sure they sound good when used with a "lower" tier amp or whatever but you're not getting the full value out of them. If you're going to underpower them you might as well have bought something cheaper/not as good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back