K701 thread
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #796 of 2,619
Just joined the K701 club.  For the record #46075 has eight bumps in the headband, not seven.  I bought these to hear how they perform relative to my DT880.  I am not a big believer in headphone burn in, but I will give them a little time and then run a comparison.  For those who are interested in a view of the beyer vs AKG shootout, I will post my thoughts in a couple of weeks.  Toilet bowl white is pretty sexy.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #797 of 2,619
Mine also has 8 bumps, and is #45536. I guess AKG fixed it up due to complaints with the 7-bump ones.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #798 of 2,619
Love these 'phones.

Like standing on stage in front of the band. Transparent, Fast, Crisp, Dynamic.

Symbols hits scythe through the air the way they should,

Well produced stuff shines...

It's forced me to totally re-import all my music in Lossless...

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #799 of 2,619
Just ordered one of these beauty's online, wil be here within a week or so. Also have a cardas cable coming in for my HD600. Really looking forward to comparing the two. Good times ahead.

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #800 of 2,619
I recieved some recabled K701s last week and have decided that comparing them with my HD600 is impossible as each headphones strengths seem to be in areas that the other ones weaknesses lie. I have found that they are headphones that I like equally and it just depends on the genre of music for which one is the best at the time .

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #801 of 2,619

Quote:
Just joined the K701 club.  For the record #46075 has eight bumps in the headband, not seven.  I bought these to hear how they perform relative to my DT880.  I am not a big believer in headphone burn in, but I will give them a little time and then run a comparison.  For those who are interested in a view of the beyer vs AKG shootout, I will post my thoughts in a couple of weeks.  Toilet bowl white is pretty sexy.

From all of the cans that I have had, these headphones show the most change in burn in out of the bunch. I have only burned them in twice over night but all other times I have done while listening. For me, I got a noticeable change around 100 hours; after getting there the bass evens out and the cans get some strength in the lower end. They sound slightly fuller than before. 

Quote:
Just ordered one of these beauty's online, wil be here within a week or so. Also have a cardas cable coming in for my HD600. Really looking forward to comparing the two. Good times ahead.

Oh yea man, I'm in the process of weeding the crap out of my library right now and adding some new stuff in. I only rip my music to FLAC now. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #804 of 2,619
I bought the K702's a few months ago with an Xonar STX sound card, my first pair of audiophile headphones. They took so long to burn in though, at first I thought I was being swindled! After 100+ hours they sounded way better, it felt weird how much the sound changed. I really love these headphones!

I just need a decent DAC and AMP combo now, what would be the best option for a budget under $2000 (looking to these parts over the next year, trying to future proof myself :D ) I was thinking of buying a DACmagic, then when I get more money a Woo WA6SE amp with the Sophia tube. Also do cables inbetween parts really matter? Like is a USB to S/PDIF needed vs S/PDIF coaxial out from a motherboard? 
I've been lurking head-fi since the end of last year, be gentle 
dt880smile.png

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #805 of 2,619
Hey Greenie, welcome to our madness.

Get your amp first. Put 2/3 of your budget in it. You can get your best value buying used.

Cables are the last tweaks but they do offer different presentations. They are subtle and most don't notice any change.

Get some meet time to see where your value priorities lay. 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491954/melbourne-head-fi-2nd-meet-2010

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #806 of 2,619
Newbies in K701 club. Currently using monitor 02 US to drive it and burn in hours <50. Since I was using those earbuds of price ~$10, this phone already open a new world for me~~~~. But one thing I am not very satisfiy is the head band, those bumps really hurts my head after wearing it for >30 mins.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #807 of 2,619
keep wearing it until the headband (or your head) breaks in 
biggrin.gif
 My K701 is still crushing my skull now as I'm typing this post. I've seen some ppl put their K701 over a basketball or something round-shaped over night to stretch the headband out. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #808 of 2,619
Ah, the headband issue, I feel blessed not to have a problem with it. Some people actually got a knife to remove the bumps. I don't recommend this, but it's a last resort.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #809 of 2,619

DAC1/BADA12 done it for me..Just incredible synergy.. Techno was mind boggling good with this combo..
Quote:
I bought the K702's a few months ago with an Xonar STX sound card, my first pair of audiophile headphones. They took so long to burn in though, at first I thought I was being swindled! After 100+ hours they sounded way better, it felt weird how much the sound changed. I really love these headphones!

I just need a decent DAC and AMP combo now, what would be the best option for a budget under $2000 (looking to these parts over the next year, trying to future proof myself :D ) I was thinking of buying a DACmagic, then when I get more money a Woo WA6SE amp with the Sophia tube. Also do cables inbetween parts really matter? Like is a USB to S/PDIF needed vs S/PDIF coaxial out from a motherboard? 
I've been lurking head-fi since the end of last year, be gentle 
dt880smile.png

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #810 of 2,619

Quote:
keep wearing it until the headband (or your head) breaks in 
biggrin.gif
 My K701 is still crushing my skull now as I'm typing this post. I've seen some ppl put their K701 over a basketball or something round-shaped over night to stretch the headband out. 

Yea you could put them over some books or something; lots of people do this with all types of headphones that have a strong clamp. Now that I think back on it... I think my 702's headband was tight as well; I don't have any problems with it now but I've had em on my head for around 80 hours at this point :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back