K701 thread
Jun 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #811 of 2,619

Quote:
Yea you could put them over some books or something; lots of people do this with all types of headphones that have a strong clamp. Now that I think back on it... I think my 702's headband was tight as well; I don't have any problems with it now but I've had em on my head for around 80 hours at this point :)

So... your head had to break-in in your case 
biggrin.gif
 I'm gonna try the book trick again since it works with some of my previous HPs. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #812 of 2,619
The K701 definitely had too much clamp for me. I had to bend them a bit, they actually still feel clampy.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #814 of 2,619
After a night of book stretching, the clamping and pushing force of the headband have reduced significantly. 
k701smile.gif
 Now some amping question, has anyone tried driving the K701 with the Millet MiniMax? If you have, which tubes you think suit the K701 the most? 
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #815 of 2,619
Can any of the K701 owners quickly tell me something? How high is the K701 and the stand together? Mine is coming on monday and I want to make a few modifications to my desk so it can have a nice place to stand.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #818 of 2,619
I just tried this combo today. The Millet MiniMax is able to drive the k701 quite well. I threw it some metal, bossa, jPop and jazz. All genres worked well. I usually bass an amp's ability to drive the K701 based on whether it can do metal adequately. The K701's weakpoint is in electronic guitars. If it can render these properly without sounding too tinny or screechy, then it's a good amp for the K701 in my ears.

Quote:
After a night of book stretching, the clamping and pushing force of the headband have reduced significantly. 
k701smile.gif
 Now some amping question, has anyone tried driving the K701 with the Millet MiniMax? If you have, which tubes you think suit the K701 the most? 
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #819 of 2,619
Now joining the AKG K701 club! I finally have it! I bought it used, but I don't know how many hours are burned into it as I'm the 3rd owner. After these past 2 years of owning nothing, now I own something. So far I only have the headphones and EMU 0404 USB. I'm going to build a M3 amp with my dad. The wait and suspense is killing me lol. Out of curiosity I plugged them into the EMU 0404 usb, and the bass wasn't as refined as I had heard in Canjam (Desktop amp from headroom). These definitely must be amped to fully bring out the bass. There is no clamping issues with mine. It's a snug fit, but probably because I'm thin and skinny.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #820 of 2,619

You are right. the emu 0404 amp is really under-powering them. The bass is pretty horrible through that amp. Other than that, they sound OK with the 0404, just not their full potential. You will be amazed at the improvement in the low end when you get something to power them better.
Quote:
Now joining the AKG K701 club! I finally have it! I bought it used, but I don't know how many hours are burned into it as I'm the 3rd owner. After these past 2 years of owning nothing, now I own something. So far I only have the headphones and EMU 0404 USB. I'm going to build a M3 amp with my dad. The wait and suspense is killing me lol. Out of curiosity I plugged them into the EMU 0404 usb, and the bass wasn't as refined as I had heard in Canjam (Desktop amp from headroom). These definitely must be amped to fully bring out the bass. There is no clamping issues with mine. It's a snug fit, but probably because I'm thin and skinny.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #821 of 2,619
Ahh this sucks. I planned on doing one year with the army and making enough cash to buy a high end setup, like a dacmagic>WA6SE but I got denied :frowning2:
Whats the Yulong DAH1 like for these headphones, I'm thinking of selling my STX and going S/PDIF out (from motherboard) > DAH1

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #822 of 2,619

Quote:
Ahh this sucks. I planned on doing one year with the army and making enough cash to buy a high end setup, like a dacmagic>WA6SE but I got denied :frowning2:
Whats the Yulong DAH1 like for these headphones, I'm thinking of selling my STX and going S/PDIF out (from motherboard) > DAH1

The DAC Magic by no extent is high end, may be mid-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back