K701 thread
Jun 18, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #782 of 2,619
If The Secret were easy, everyone would be millionaires by now.

Anyway, that's enough about this, I've stared into the Abyss too long talking to you.

Back to some K701 loving with pics!

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #783 of 2,619
Lol, what the hell is going on in this thread? Nietzsche? Oh please.

While I like SOME aspects of Nietzche's thought (and writing style) and actually agree with much of what he said, thought, and stood for, most of his thinking is very simplistic and immature, the kind of "philosophy" you outgrow by the time you take your first real philosophy class in college and start to realize things are much more complicated than any one or two line unqualified maxim will allow.

Yes I've read all his works (yes really, all of them, I took a class on just him and him alone...one of the easiest philosophy classes I had in fact) and yes I majored in philosophy. I also don't find him very difficult, he doesn't even have a systematic metaphysics or philosophical system to unravel (which can get very complex of course), just a bunch of witty and penetrating insights into human nature hung together around loose (and sometimes contradictory) themes (that people read into more than what is really there to make him seem deeper than he really was...a classic sign of pseudo intellectualism). He was more of a psychologist and social critic than philosopher, and was certainly very stubborn, one sided, and unreasonable (black/white and either/or thinking was his strength) who never really argued anything, just stated it as fact, and thus a poor poor philosopher indeed (especially by 20th/21st century standards when we have finally made progress in reasonable discussion and sustained rational argumentation of the perennial issues, especially after the 50's or so). If you are intellectually lazy you'll find him profound and proudly quote him perhaps, but he is the pseudo-intellectuals "philosopher" (just like Ayn Rand...oh god is she just horrid).

But I will not discuss this further here.

So the K702's: I'm finding with my new amp (M-Stage) that while it reveals the 702's strengths, it also reveals it's flaws: like the hard or glarey or cold or even shrill treble. My EF-1 covered this up more. But still the 702 is not fatiguing, it's just that the treble sounds "off" with much material or at higher volumes. They are still great cans, and everything else they do very well, including bass (accurate, articulate, powerful when need be, tight, quick, and taut, etc.). But now I see more clearly the common complaint about the 701/02's treble. Yes it could partly be my DAC's doing as well, but I'm not going to go out and get a "warm" DAC to correct a headphone. I want neutral as much as I can get it, and the 702's don't quite have neutral treble imo.

Still great cans and I don't know what I would go to if I wished to get "better' cans in the same price bracket (DT 880's or 990's? I think those are not neutral as well).

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #784 of 2,619
The Abyss... it just stared back at me. Oh thank goodness we're done talking about that.

Back to the K701, yes I don't think it's neutral either. But I've never heard a neutral headphone... and I don't think I want to. The K701's treble is a little more neutral than the AD700, which definitely had more heat in the treble, and I agree with you the K701's highs can become "off" with certain kinds of music. 

But I love this can, never though I would considering I'm a bass head who started the headfi journey with all sorts of closed, bassy cans. I guess it's a nice contrast to my usual pace that really refreshes me.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #785 of 2,619

The Secret is pseudoscientific clap trap fit only for the gullible, desperate, and scientifically illiterate--sorry, physics doesn't work that way, our minds can not alter reality.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/07-03-07/

Scroll down to the critique.

Actually the "secret" is quite easy and well known: Charlatans have always been able to bilk the ignorant out of money with hocus pocus that has no basis in reality (such as in audio), so if you are dishonest like the author of the secret, just market an easy cure all and rake in the money (like churches that are worth billions). If I wasn't ethical I'd do so myself. I once put up a "Jesus potato chip" that "looked" like the "savior" on ebay and had thousands before I removed it from bidding. I just couldn't do it, even though I was going to donate the money to (secular!) charity.

Nice pic btw!
Quote:
If The Secret were easy, everyone would be millionaires by now.

Anyway, that's enough about this, I've stared into the Abyss too long talking to you.

Back to some K701 loving with pics!

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #786 of 2,619

Quote:
The Abyss... it just stared back at me. Oh thank goodness we're done talking about that.

Back to the K701, yes I don't think it's neutral either. But I've never heard a neutral headphone... and I don't think I want to. The K701's treble is a little more neutral than the AD700, which definitely had more heat in the treble, and I agree with you the K701's highs can become "off" with certain kinds of music. 

But I love this can, never though I would considering I'm a bass head who started the headfi journey with all sorts of closed, bassy cans. I guess it's a nice contrast to my usual pace that really refreshes me.

Hmm, yea that's a point. You're not going to ever get truly neutral in audio and some coloration can be nice. But I wish the treble wasn't so "hard", but more sparkley or light/airy for a coloration.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #787 of 2,619
Thanks, that's my pride and joy right there.
k701smile.gif
Wish I had a better camera I see people doing wonderful tricks with focus points and my cam doesn't have any! Urgh!  All my spending budget goes into headphones these days no money for SLRs. 
frown.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #788 of 2,619

Quote:
Thanks, that's my pride and joy right there.
k701smile.gif
Wish I had a better camera I see people doing wonderful tricks with focus points and my cam doesn't have any! Urgh!  All my spending budget goes into headphones these days no money for SLRs. 
frown.gif

Well you did well!

I've got a $150 Canon something or other that I use for everything, but I usually use pictures others took of gear because they can do better (like with backgrounds, the kind where the gear looks like it's floating in a white background) and I'm lazy about stuff like that lol.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #789 of 2,619
Yeah my friend who is a great photographer taught me some tricks on how to do that white background, I want to try it sometime. He just uses some white cartolina and puts the stuff on it, and takes pics with natural lighting. I gotta try it sometime, kinda sick of using my bedsheets as backgrounds hahaha.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #791 of 2,619
Lol, bedsheets works!

Boy this thread has strayed from pseudo philosophers/science/psychology to now photography!

Back to the 702's: I was just listening to some metal (well recorded though...well, for metal) and the highs were certainly hard and a little distracting.

Now I'm listening to classic rock and though the highs are still hard they are not so distracting and one could also say they are very clear as well.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #792 of 2,619

Quote:

I am listenin to my K701's now with my tube amp.  This combo sounds bang on neutral IMO.  If the K701 had more midbass presence - it would sound subjectively warmer - but that midrange and treble remains the same - pretty neutral.  What it isn't is perfectly flat - it needs bass presence at 30 hz and below before I will call them flat.  The D7000 is what I call flat - it's midrange is very similar to the K701s - but the K701 will resolve lower midrange better.  The K701 is a brilliant can IMHO.  The K701/HD650 tube combo covers all my musical playback reference (covers all recording variations).  I link the D7000 to SS amp and this becomes my technical references, with EQ to cover recording variations.  The tube musical reference sounds like music to me.

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #793 of 2,619
This is my akg headphones collection with my setup

photo0010am.jpg

AKG K601 | AKG K240 Monitor | AKG K701 | PcWork modded AKG K701 |
Diva goya headamp | Diva mongoose powercord X2 | Diva toccata RCA-RCA |
Diva cd63se CDP | Qi-cones X2 | Sky-cones |
Mr GO's Power distributor | GIEN carbon CD mat | (Mapleshade)Ionoclast,Silclear | Hifi-Tuning Fuse |

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #794 of 2,619

Quote:

So the K702's: I'm finding with my new amp (M-Stage) that while it reveals the 702's strengths, it also reveals it's flaws: like the hard or glarey or cold or even shrill treble. My EF-1 covered this up more. But still the 702 is not fatiguing, it's just that the treble sounds "off" with much material or at higher volumes. They are still great cans, and everything else they do very well, including bass (accurate, articulate, powerful when need be, tight, quick, and taut, etc.). But now I see more clearly the common complaint about the 701/02's treble. Yes it could partly be my DAC's doing as well, but I'm not going to go out and get a "warm" DAC to correct a headphone. I want neutral as much as I can get it, and the 702's don't quite have neutral treble imo.

Still great cans and I don't know what I would go to if I wished to get "better' cans in the same price bracket (DT 880's or 990's? I think those are not neutral as well).

the K601 would suit you perfectly.  excellent pair of cans.  (btw, i agree with you re: Ayn Rand)

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #795 of 2,619

Quote:

the K601 would suit you perfectly.  excellent pair of cans.  (btw, i agree with you re: Ayn Rand)

Hehe, no more philosophy/pseudo-thinker talk...I just went off on a tangent because it is a pet peeve of mine. But thanks!

I thought the 601's were basically the same SS as the 702's. So yes, great pair of cans, but not exactly the difference I'm looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back