K701 thread
Jun 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #767 of 2,619

Quote:
Sorry, I just can't get by on mid-fi. I'm an engineer and we're totally about continuous improvement and optimization...it's in my blood. But I stand by her poor recordings that you can even tell with cheap iBuds.

Let's not go through this again.

Listen my friend, its not about mid-fi and hi-fi, its about heart and soul. The ability to stand above the misery of existence and enjoy a moment of pure bliss.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #768 of 2,619
But when the recording is filled with sibilance, high amount of hiss and other irregularities, it does make it harder to connect. That's all I was saying.

Diana Krall is a fantastic artist to listen to (and look at), but really the recordings (especially on her latest album) are pretty poor and make connecting to the music harder.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #769 of 2,619

Quote:
But when the recording is filled with sibilance, high amount of hiss and other irregularities, it does make it harder to connect. That's all I was saying.

Diana Krall is a fantastic artist to listen to (and look at), but really the recordings (especially on her latest album) are pretty poor and make connecting to the music harder.

But you have to agree that sometimes, its about more than the artist and the gear, its about our own soul. What satisfies the soul? the eternal unanswered question that an engineer like you might find absolutely superfluous.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #770 of 2,619

Quote:
But you have to agree that sometimes, its about more than the artist and the gear, its about our own soul. What satisfies the soul? the eternal unanswered question that an engineer like you might find absolutely superfluous.

Oh I agree, it's always about the artist! I have been a musician far longer than an engineer (6 years old vs. 24 years old). And I don't mind "non-ideal" recordings. Not everything must be up to David Chesky levels of performance. But I do find Diana Krall's recordings so bad that for me it does get in the way of the emotional experience when I cringe when I hear bad sibilance or a hiss that invades the music so strongly the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #771 of 2,619
Lol what the heck is that. Are you trying to say engineers don't have souls? Oh my.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #772 of 2,619

Quote:
Oh I agree, it's always about the artist! I have been a musician far longer than an engineer (6 years old vs. 24 years old). And I don't mind "non-ideal" recordings. Not everything must be up to David Chesky levels of performance. But I do find Diana Krall's recordings so bad that for me it does get in the way of the emotional experience when I cringe when I hear bad sibilance or a hiss that invades the music so strongly the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Perfection is an illusion. Had life been perfect we'd all kill ourselves out of boredom. Its the struggle and suffering that gives meaning to existence. Friedrich Nietzsche said, if you look into an abyss for long, the abyss will look back at you. What he meant was that sometimes in the darkest imperfection there lies the ever sought after salvation... But then again you're an engineer and you wish to fit everything into a logical and sensible framework, but what you fail to realize is that you're yourself trapped in a senseless framework of probability and confusion... Anyway, the serene life of bourgeois living will never compensate for an hungry souls, and you my dear friend have an hungry soul.  :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #773 of 2,619

Quote:
Perfection is an illusion. Had life being perfect we'd all kill ourselves out of boredom. Its the struggle and suffering that gives meaning to existence. Friedrich Nietzsche said, if you look into an abyss for long, the abyss will look back at you. What he meant was that sometimes in the darkest imperfection there lies the ever sought after salvation... But then again you're an engineer and you wish to fit everything into a logical and sensible framework, but what you fail to realize is that you're yourself trapped in a senseless framework of probability and confusion... Anyway, the serene life of bourgeois living will never compensate for an hungry souls, and you my dear friend have an hungry soul.  :)

One person's hungry soul is another person's pursuit for betterment. Something that distinguishes us from the rest of creation. We no longer live in caves and live to only 25 years old.
wink.gif

While perfection is indeed an illusion, it's pursuit is truly a human trait that betters our lives.

Easy to have your feelings, but yet at the same time enjoy a life that has been made better by others' pursuit of continually improving our lives.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #774 of 2,619

Quote:
One person's hungry soul is another person's pursuit for betterment. Something that distinguishes us from the rest of creation. We no longer live in caves and live to only 25 years old.
wink.gif

While perfection is indeed an illusion, it's pursuit is truly a human trait that betters our lives.

Easy to have your feelings, but yet at the same time enjoy a life that has been made better by others' pursuit of continually improving our lives.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. But have you yet come face-to-face to that, which wants to kill you?

I don't think so. To be able to enjoy the full pleasure of existence you must face its nihilation.  :)

The good news is that you can't buy that experience. :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #775 of 2,619

Quote:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. But have you yet come face-to-face to that, which wants to kill you?

I don't think so. To be able to enjoy the full pleasure of existence you must face its nihilation.  :)

The good news is that you can't buy that experience. :)

???

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #776 of 2,619
This is the point where we say, "Stop with the Nietzsche nonsense and stick to headphone talk."

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #778 of 2,619
I have no problem with Nietzche. I have a problem with you trying to proselytize people on a headphone enthusiast site into a Nietzche Worship Cult.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #779 of 2,619
Not really, if you know your Nietzsche well, you should also know that he was strongly against any form of "idol worship".

Individualism, that's what he was all about. An individual is an state and a country onto himself, but more than that, his the moral compass for himself. We're not talking about cults and groups, this is about reevaluation of all values, beyond good and evil. :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #780 of 2,619
If you knew your Nietzsche, you'd know that his quote on staring into the abyss didn't mean you would find salvation in the darkest imperfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back