K701 thread
Apr 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #631 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... We had a meet last weekend where two K702s and my K701s were there. The two 702s sounded thin and bass light. The 701s sounded fuller with more impact. We changed the pads and the sound improved with the 702s. The pads need to be condensed to get the fuller sound.

Did the K702's soundstage and/or detail change?

Are you promoting only changing the '02's pads & only recondistioning the '01 pads?
Or, both?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get your pads conditioned and they will be set... The pads need to be condensed to get the fuller sound. I've washed mine a couple times and have quite a bit of time on them (1k+ hr).

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #632 of 2,619
i just got my black dragon split mod k702 back from Drew today.
and HOLY S#lT!!!!
wink.gif

i'm not a guru. so i can't really "review" or describe what i'm hearing. all i can say is that, to my ears, the difference is SUBSTANTIAL.

is it worth what Drew charges? i dunno. but i can say that, in my humble opinion, they do not sound like the same phones.

i don't wish to stir anything up. i just wanted to share my joy with you fellas.

it might be time to start off-loading some phones. i've found a keeper.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #633 of 2,619
IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

The older pads (701s) do improve the low end body. When we put those pads on the 702, the improvement was noticed on them. When I put the 702 pads on the 701s, they sounded like the 702. Bubu1 confirmed this because the 702s were his.

The only difference between the two pair were the pads. If you want to wear them til they "cure", by all means. I washed mine thinking the discoloration dirty. Color stayed, pads softened.

Pics by Punnisher

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #635 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my K701's. Just listening to them now and I am so glad I didn't purchase the HD800 - similar signature without the HD800 fatigue - and cheaper!!!

I am bashing the HD800 - but am afraid to do it in their threads. My apologies
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful of the HD-800 patrol.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701smile.gif

The enemy lines are well fortified boys - my assault of the HD800 in the D7000 vs HD800 thread ended in retreat and surrender!!! subtle, now has my words as hostage!!!

Hey just enjoying myself here at head-fi - Have a good Easter fellas.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #636 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been intrigued by some of the reports that the K702 doesn't quite have the same slight disconnect between sound ranges as the K701 when burn in is finished. I found the upper mids (not unpleasantly) dry as well, with a wide array of amps, and it wasn't until upgrading that I finally heard them sound a little wetter (where appropriate, like female vocals). I think the K70x wants an amp that turns them into a BBW. If the X-Head was designed with the same philosophy behind other AV123 products, you might be there already.

I'm not using the X-head with the 702's, I'm using my Head Direct EF1 which is a much better amp (with either the 702's or 225i's or even 595's). The X-head is a decent amp, but the EF1 kills it in any SQ criteria you can think of. I just list it because it is still part of my equipment (for now).

What's a BBW and what amp are you using with the 701's?

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #637 of 2,619
Quote:

The enemy lines are well fortified boys - my assault of the HD800 in the D7000 vs HD800 thread ended in retreat and surrender!!! subtle, now has my words as hostage!!!

Haha... I don't know what you were thinking!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

A Happy Easter to you too.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #638 of 2,619
Quote:

Hey just enjoying myself here at head-fi - Have a good Easter fellas.
regular_smile .gif

LMAO!

Happy Easter to all!

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #639 of 2,619
Sorry for digging up an old post

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would u recable the K702? is not like you can recable the internal cables easily and technically when you just plug a new cable the internal wiring would still remain stock. The K701 would be easier to drill a whole and get the wires directly onto the drivers.

Do you have a guide as to how to recable the k701 ?

I checked this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/gui...abling-225819/

But it seems that my k701 is different from the OP's
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6529417-post43.html

So i don't know how to proceed on..

BTW, what cables recommendation do you guys think is good for k701 ?

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #640 of 2,619
I just wanted to add that I'm using the 702's almost exclusively. I'm addicted to their precision, clarity, detail, and wide sound stage. Listing to my 225i's takes away all that, adds fake bloated mid range "bass" (and lacks the true deep bass of the 702's), and are much less comfortable as well. The worst part of the 225i's in comparison is that the sound stage is so small it actually sounds compressed, almost non existent, like the worst closed can. And even though they are more forgiving of lesser recordings, it is only because they take away so much of the hi-fi that that 702's posses that it's actually better to just listen to the flaws on the recording as they sound, accurately, with the 702's.

Also, I listen to mostly rock (classic mostly but anything from the 60's to today is played), pop, and metal (again from the 60's to today). Grado's are supposed to be so great for these genres, but the 702's are almost always on my head. Probably because they aren't great for any type of music because they are how cans (and speakers) are supposed to be: as close to neutral as possible. So they work well for all music and don't ruin some music at the expense of making other music sound "better". The Grado's are of course not neutral and are horrid for some music (classical and jazz for instance, or even singer/songwriter).

That said, I do like how the 225i's are "exciting/energetic" and how the vocals/mids are more forward. Sometimes I find the 702's kind of bland or "thin" sounding or "distant" in the vocals/mids. But still they are the far better can, and putting the mids and vocals so forward as the 225i's do just kills the sound stage and balance.

Still wondering about a different (better?) amp than my EF-1.

Oh, and the 702's do seem to do better at higher volumes than lower.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #642 of 2,619
I was trying to show the pads on the two Ks. The 701 pads are thinner than the 702 pads. This makes a noticeable difference in sound.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #643 of 2,619
Noticed a definite difference in sound between my K702 and Filburt's K701. Along with the pads, the grilles on the sides are not quite the same size.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #644 of 2,619
I am really starting to enjoy the K701's out of the Cayin in triode mode - perhaps K701 and S.E.T is a special formula. I will only use K701 with triode for the next couple of weeks and nothing else to further understand this phenomena. It has a touch of the HD650 magic without the "veil" or subdued treble response...hmmmm interesting!!!

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #645 of 2,619
Just got my k701s in yesterday and am super glad I chose these headphones. Now I need to get an amp and dac or dac/amp combo, but of course after I enjoy them first
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm thinking either heed canamp and dacmagic or a little dot mkV. Money is a factor so opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back