K701 thread
Mar 9, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #571 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.

I've never really cared for the 701/2 and strongly preferred the 501 to them.

Then recently I listened to a set at a store and was strangely impressed - enough to order a pair.

Sitting here listening to it and am actually enjoying them a great deal.

Not the most comfortable things - and yes a little thin and bright and nowhere near the midrange of the 501 IMHO - but i am really entranced by the headstage and soundstage and resolution.

You got the K702? or the K701? K702 is easy to recable with Cardas/ALO...

Yes... the K702 has a slight distant character to its presentation. As you keep listening you want everything to sound a bit more full and saturated. This can be fixed by raising the volume... the further you crank up the K70x, the better they sound! The soundstage becomes epic, micro-details begin to emerge and the presentation suddenly becomes very lush and immediate... with a dense tone. The right recable and the right amp (6 moons recommends Burson HA-160) lessens the harshness of the stock cable and adds better dynamics to boot.

Enjoy your pair and look to improve your chain with the right source, amp and cable!
k701smile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #572 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got the K702? or the K701? K702 is easy to recable with Cardas/ALO...

Yes... the K702 has a slight distant character to its presentation. As you keep listening you want everything to sound a bit more full and saturated. This can be fixed by raising the volume... the further you crank up the K70x, the better they sound! The soundstage becomes epic, micro-details begin to emerge and the presentation suddenly becomes very lush and immediate... with a dense tone. The right recable and the right amp (6 moons recommends Burson HA-160) lessens the harshness of the stock cable and adds better dynamics to boot.

Enjoy your pair and look to improve your chain with the right source, amp and cable!
k701smile.gif

How would u recable the K702? is not like you can recable the internal cables easily and technically when you just plug a new cable the internal wiring would still remain stock. The K701 would be easier to drill a whole and get the wires directly onto the drivers.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #573 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by scutzi128 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just threw some extra foam in between the drivers and the pads and it made them sound really good. Much more comfortable to listen to so far...it took that slightly harsh edge off.

I really need to try these kind of mods.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #574 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to try these kind of mods.

I've tried it with those Sponge Eraser (for kitchen cleaning) by slicing thin round pieces of it. So far so good lol

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #575 of 2,619
Since getting my HF-2s I never listen to my 701s. The HF-2s just sound so much better to my ears the midbass on the HF-2s is just delicious. I just wish the soundstage was a bit larger and they were more comfortable. I'm picking up some hd650s on Friday and I'll see how they stack up.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #576 of 2,619
Well you'll notice they are quite different to the K701 having a smaller sound stage and a more laid back sound. If you're liking your Grados, these might disappoint.

Now I just need to find me some Grados. OM NOM NOM

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #577 of 2,619
also have a pair of HF2s. but i still switch back and forth. love classical on those things, the hf2 got nothing on k701 when classical is pumpin

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #578 of 2,619
Just got a pair of K 702's today. Really like what I'm hearing so far (about 5 hours of listening), I am impressed. Other cans I have to compare (haven't A/B'd yet though) are only the 225i and 595.

My only real complaint so far is the highs are somewhat strident, edgey, or hard with brighter material or at higher volume levels. Also upper mid range can be a little "dry".

But hopefully with burn in this will lessen.

Running them off my EF-1 amp; anyone have any opinion on this combo? Compared to my Grado 225i's, I have to turn the dial up a full "mark" to get the same loudness level (moderate to high mid level). They seem to want more power...

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #579 of 2,619
I really don't listen to classical so I just don't think the 701s suit my music tastes. They sound good to me but just don't have enough midbass and are too harsh to be enjoyable imo. I have my doubts as to whether the 650s will be any better for me but I'll never know until I try them. Ideally I'd like something that sounds like my HF-2s but with a soundstage and is actually comfortable. My ad700s spoiled me with soundstage.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #581 of 2,619
Quote:

tongue.gif
You're sounding like you're going to like the HD650.

Or even the HD600?

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #582 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only real complaint so far is the highs are somewhat strident, edgey, or hard with brighter material or at higher volume levels. Also upper mid range can be a little "dry".

But hopefully with burn in this will lessen.

my findings exactly.

i'll add that these headphones didn't get the "hard to drive" moniker for no reason. to give you an idea, the volume setting for the k702 is about at the same place on the dial as it is for my 600ohm dt990s. nearly.
and they're a 62 ohm headphone!!! hahahaha.

for kicks, check out the thread titled something like "how many amps have your bought for the k701?" hehehehe.

another anecdote? before buying my Woo WA6, i inquired with Jack as to which model i should get for the k702, hoping the WA3+ would be enough. Nope. he said anything from WA6 up would power the K702. ha.

seriously, though. i didn't believe in burn in until i heard the k702 at various points in it's burn in phase. at over 120 hours now, the headphones still seem to be loosening up.

in the first 100 hours, i found them almost too dynamic. like loud parts were too loud and soft parts were too soft. in songs where i'm very familiar with the natural dynamic range. strange. my guess would be it's the two layer drivers loosening up.

but, while being sometimes overly dynamic, they were also somewhat distant, laid back, with edgy highs, and less than adequate bass. "uneven" would be a good word to describe them.

but, the bass is beginning to come to life now. it just sort of showed up a few days ago and said hello.

makes me wonder how many people sell these cans off before experiencing them at 400+ hours.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #583 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my findings exactly.

i'll add that these headphones didn't get the "hard to drive" moniker for no reason. to give you an idea, the volume setting for the k702 is about at the same place on the dial as it is for my 600ohm dt990s. nearly.
and they're a 62 ohm headphone!!! hahahaha.

for kicks, check out the thread titled something like "how many amps have your bought for the k701?" hehehehe.

another anecdote? before buying my Woo WA6, i inquired with Jack as to which model i should get for the k702, hoping the WA3+ would be enough. Nope. he said anything from WA6 up would power the K702. ha.

seriously, though. i didn't believe in burn in until i heard the k702 at various points in it's burn in phase. at over 120 hours now, the headphones still seem to be loosening up.

in the first 100 hours, i found them almost too dynamic. like loud parts were too loud and soft parts were too soft. in songs where i'm very familiar with the natural dynamic range. strange. my guess would be it's the two layer drivers loosening up.

but, while being sometimes overly dynamic, they were also somewhat distant, laid back, with edgy highs, and less than adequate bass. "uneven" would be a good word to describe them.

but, the bass is beginning to come to life now. it just sort of showed up a few days ago and said hello.

makes me wonder how many people sell these cans off before experiencing them at 400+ hours.
wink.gif

Thanks for the comments; so I take it you do like these?

I'm wanting to love them, but I am annoyed by the 2 flaws in their SS I mentioned.

They DO sound good/very good, and do many things very well, but then I'm still bugged by these 2 things...I've only got 20 hours on them so far though...and I haven't listened to them since last night since I'm trying to just burn them in before I do again, so they get burned in instead of me.
biggrin.gif

The bass, if I'm not imaging, seemed fine right off, and then at about 5 hours in really seemed to become deeper and more powerful. I have no complaints with the bass, it is tight, taut, quick, pretty articulate, and about the perfect amount for me.

Also, they've sounded smooth and even to me right away, except for in the 2 things I mentioned of course.

If those two things lessen/go away I will be really really happy with these cans. If not, I don't know...

How do you like them compared to your 990 and 880? I could exchange these for one of those where I bought them if I don't become completely satisfied with the 702's. But I'm not sure they would be better, in fact they seem to be the lesser cans, or else I would of tried one of them first!

Still waiting on more burn in and thinking...

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #584 of 2,619
Quote:

tongue.gif
You're sounding like you're going to like the HD650.

Will be picking up my pair of hd650s today and I will post what I think of them.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #585 of 2,619
^Please do tell. I'll be looking out for your impressions. I should have a pair on hand by Monday as well. This is after a long interlude without one. I'll see how our impressions stack up after a K702 primer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back