K701 thread
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #151 of 2,619
I used equalizers to raise the upper midrange and high end in accordance with the headroom frequency response charts and it seemed to bring the K701's to life for me. I initially thought it sounded lifeless for the higher vocals/guitars and cymbals also.

I don't care if people don't like or naysay it. Some people use different tubes to get better sound. I use the equalizer.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #152 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apology for my ambiguous description. The "flat" i mentioned was not referring to the frequency responses. I think some who have compared 701 and AD2000 (both from the same source) knows what I mean. Quality of female vocal projected through the two cans are different. Like you mentioned, "to each their own".

Ah, now I see your point. Fair enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, sound quality hardly has true datum (unless you were there in the recording studio).

Oh so true.

And for those who "were there" all I'll say is you know what "your" music should sounds like to your ears, but not all music to all ears.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #153 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all I'll say is you know what "your" music should sounds like to your ears, but not all music to all ears.

That seems to contradict your previous point, that flat frequency response is what is desirable. Do you want accuracy, or do you want euphony? I'll tell you right now, the K701 does a great job at accuracy.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #154 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems to contradict your previous point, that flat frequency response is what is desirable. Do you want accuracy, or do you want euphony? I'll tell you right now, the K701 does a great job at accuracy.

X2

I like the clean look of the K701s, I call it The Doctor...

beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #155 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Point taken. Where was my mind when I typed that jibberish? You are absolutely right, flat is right.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #156 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel ashamed upon seeing this thread . Hd600 has replaced the akgs....

Shame on you.
frown.gif

Not a bad replacement though. Get a better cable and on a good amp, they are impressive indeed.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #157 of 2,619
I just have a quick question. How bad is the sound leakage on the K701's would they be appropriate to use in a lab setting (multiple computers/multiple people) I'm a sound design student so I'd be working in areas where there is the possibility of other People hearing them/would need to not hear other people.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #158 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame on you.
frown.gif

Not a bad replacement though. Get a better cable and on a good amp, they are impressive indeed.

I must admit that hd600 with cardas still does not sound as clean as the akgs but its a better all rounder and friendlier to bad recordings. Think its a trade off.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #159 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have a quick question. How bad is the sound leakage on the K701's would they be appropriate to use in a lab setting (multiple computers/multiple people) I'm a sound design student so I'd be working in areas where there is the possibility of other People hearing them/would need to not hear other people.

They leak, a lot. They're open cans.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #160 of 2,619
Quote:

They leak, a lot. They're open cans.

So do you think I should stick with the 271 Mk II?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #161 of 2,619
Quote:

The K701s are an open backed headphone so sound leakage is pretty bad. But here's a question, do you need to be able to hear outside noise (such as phone, co-worker, or boss) and how loud do you listen? If you need to hear outside noise to an extent then an openbacked headphone would probably suit - unless you like to listen at loud levels. If you listen at reasonable or soft levels at work the the sound leakage of the K701s might not be a problem. If you definitely don't want to disturb your fellow workers then go for a closed back headphone. My suggestion in that regard is the Denon D1001. They keep almost all sound inside while still allowing you to hear the phone ring or a co-worker ask you a question. Plus the can be run without an amp and sound darn good -and they can be picked up for under $100 (think christmas present maybe).

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #162 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short of adding some padding I found that by working the leather between my fingers, flexing it back & forth softened it up rather quickly. Similar to what my brothers used to do with their baseball gloves, except without the oil (as to avoid discoloration).

This worked really well for me as well.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #163 of 2,619
Quote:

So do you think I should stick with the 271 Mk II?

you should stick with something closed . . . . which one is largely a matter of personal taste/preference and economics

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #164 of 2,619
I gotta take back thinking they sounded lifeless on the upper mid/high end. I took them out of the drawer today and thought "why do these sound so weird all the sudden?" I turned off the equalizer and everything sounds great now. It figures because they have about 295ish hours on them now finally. These are amazing after the break in.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #165 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta take back thinking they sounded lifeless on the upper mid/high end. I took them out of the drawer today and thought "why do these sound so weird all the sudden?" I turned off the equalizer and everything sounds great now. It figures because they have about 295ish hours on them now finally. These are amazing after the break in.

Welcome to the church
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back