K701 thread
Dec 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,328 of 2,619
I usually don't eq the 701s. Next chance I get, I'll patch through an eq to see what sounds the best to me. I might run rta/white noise too, just to see what "flat" headphone output looks like on a graph.
I've been looking for a small 5-9 band parametric eq for use with a headphone amp. I've yet to find one. Maybe a future diy design project?

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,329 of 2,619
I find that after the following bass mod, that the k701s sound great to my ears and don't *need* EQ.  Really happy except for the comfort so far.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,332 of 2,619
I got mine for 100 off of craigslist which I thought was a great deal, so good that I thought it might be stolen.  They seem to go for around 140-180 on the used forums here, so I would say you got them for a great price.  

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,333 of 2,619
Ok, i buyed k701 and they sound like ****. Can you tell me is there a trick to make them sound good or something. The sound is empty and there is no bass, seriously. I need them for producing music and they sound unbalanced. Good mixes sound bad on  this headphones. I dont know why are people saying that they are good for producing. I listened hardwell - spaceman and it sound so unbalanced. This track scares the **** out of you in the club, but there you can hear that anoyng white noise that is boosted. The worst thing is that ears starts to hurt and I dont know why. I am producing EDM so they are useless. Mixes on speakers sound different. I am using fiio e17 amp. So what sould i do to make them sond good. I have a 20 dollar headphones and I cant say that k701 is better. What 

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,334 of 2,619
  Ok, i buyed k701 and they sound like ****. Can you tell me is there a trick to make them sound good or something. The sound is empty and there is no bass, seriously. I need them for producing music and they sound unbalanced. Good mixes sound bad on  this headphones. I dont know why are people saying that they are good for producing. I listened hardwell - spaceman and it sound so unbalanced. This track scares the **** out of you in the club, but there you can hear that anoyng white noise that is boosted. The worst thing is that ears starts to hurt and I dont know why. I am producing EDM so they are useless. Mixes on speakers sound different. I am using fiio e17 amp. So what sould i do to make them sond good. I have a 20 dollar headphones and I cant say that k701 is better. What 

*facepalm*

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2,336 of 2,619
Please quote anyone who said the K701 is good for EDM.
You must be thinking of the new K702 65th Anniversary or the K712, which are not the same as the K701. Some people find the K701's bass to be enough, but most find it lacking. The fact that you bought the K701 and then complain about the bass means you haven't done your homework. And about the treble, I don't know what your point of reference is, but I think it's close to accurate. Some say it sounds metallic or strident, others say plasticky, but overall the treble extension is impressive and detailed.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,339 of 2,619
K 701 and EDM?
confused_face_2.gif

So I will probably replace them with Sennheiser hd 600. Wll they be good for EDM?

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,340 of 2,619
K 701 and EDM? :confused_face_2:

So I will probably replace them with [COLOR=660099]Sennheiser[/COLOR] hd 600. Wll they be good for EDM?

Sorry I didn't get back to this. The HD600 is a nice-sounding headphone, but its general sound characteristic is warm and laid-back, which I wouldn't particularly say is good for EDM, but I wouldn't say it's bad either.

Generally speaking, open-back headphones tend to have a bass roll-off, so the deepest of notes for EDM won't be too accurately represented. Maybe a Philips L1/L2 or X1 might be a better choice for a bassier open-back headphone.

I would personally recommend a closed-back headphone for EDM; say a MrSpeakers Mad Dog or anything on this page:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

[rule]
Does anyone know how to safely wash the earpads for the K 701? I hate velour pads because they collect random smells from people's heads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back