K701 Companion Cans
Dec 15, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a D2000 before I got the 701, I don't have a D2000 anymore :p. In comparison it was boomy, lacked detail, and lacked the refinement of the 701. The bass on the 701 actually goes deeper than the D2000, but lacks in quantity, but again the D2000 was boomy (yes, I did the full markl mod on mine).

yeah I didn't think the D2000 were the right can either. Idk I am leaning towards the GS-1000, seems open, dynamic and detailed, with a bit warmer signature than the 701's.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 31
x2 on the Grado GS-1000s as a "completely different experience" from the 701s.

Stay with open cans. You won't like the Denon D2000s I predict. I am surprised you don't like the Senn 600s, but I take you at your word.

I like the 600-ohm beyer 880, but while it is different, it is not different enough, whereas the GS-1000 will give you a "second opinion" on every piece of music.

The GS-1000s were desgined for long listening sessions at moderate volume.

While this is all IMO only, it really is an actual opinion, not BS ... via my extended family I actually own currently and have listened extensively to all these: 701s, GS-1000s, D2000s, Senn 600s, beyer 880 250 and 600 (as well as Ultrasone closed cans, and some Audio Technica -- I didn't add the AD2K to the above discussion since, again, the GS-1000s are the "opposite" of the 701s).

Both the 701s and the GS-1000s are great.

Lucky -- you can spend the night with both a sharp high-energy white-light live wire and a dark-wood sultry dreamy beauty. You can't do that at a bar.

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by luiztfc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry, but being new in the head-fi world, I don't know what is a "companion can". Would you mind telling me?

by companion I mean another headphone to go along with the 701, something which would be a good "companion" for it. I'm not sure how else to define it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman
Stay with open cans. You won't like the Denon D2000s I predict. I am surprised you don't like the Senn 600s, but I take you at your word.

Yeah I mean I gave his 600's a chance. I listened both on his system and mine, and I wasn't liking it. I kept putting my 701's back on saying "ahhhhh"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman
Lucky -- you can spend the night with both a sharp high-energy white-light live wire and a dark-wood sultry dreamy beauty. You can't do that at a bar.

that is too true
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 31
Besides STAX and the GS-1000 anything compare with the 701's soundstage?

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered an K701 as a companion to my D2000
biggrin.gif

have you heard the 701's previous to ordering them?

After reading around all the reviews of the D2000 it just seems like not the right fit for me. I want a bit more warmth than the 701's not a ton, and I think the D2000's will be too warm. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 31
I haven't heard K701 but all the reviews i've read so far and my experience with a couple of AKG models are giving me the impression that K701 will be totally opposite of my D2000. I like Denons allot, but i like diversity in headphones as much as i like in my music collection so I'm sure some of my music will benefit K701's strong points. So i can't make a comparison between them (yet!) but i can tell you that to me D2000 is a superb phone at excellent price, just like K701 (i suppose, we'll see
biggrin.gif
). I'm sure someone will suggest you HD600/650 but i've heard recently HD650 and IMO they sound like a less refined version of D2000 and now i understand what "veiled" means. Don't know about HD600.

EDIT: Just saw you have HD595 in your sig. I have them here....sort off (in pieces). Imagine HD595 with bass, highs and without distortion on higher volumes or music with solid bass (not that hip-hop mess). That's sort of D2000 sound signature.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

I haven't heard K701 but all the reviews i've read so far and my experience with a couple of AKG models are giving me the impression that K701 will be totally opposite of my D2000. I like Denons allot, but i like diversity in headphones as much as i like in my music collection so I'm sure some of my music will benefit K701's strong points. So i can't make a comparison between them (yet!) but i can tell you that to me D2000 is a superb phone at excellent price, just like K701 (i suppose, we'll see
biggrin.gif
). I'm sure someone will suggest you HD600/650 but i've heard recently HD650 and IMO they sound like a less refined version of D2000 and now i understand what "veiled" means. Don't know about HD600.

EDIT: Just saw you have HD595 in your sig. I have them here....sort off (in pieces). Imagine HD595 with bass, highs and without distortion on higher volumes or music with solid bass (not that hip-hop mess). That's sort of D2000 sound signature.

is there any sort of that upper-high's harshness in the D2000's like there is in the 595's?

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are "companion cans"?
To me, if I want to hear a different sound, it means I made the wrong choice to begin with!

To me a companion can is something which goes along well with the 701's but has a different style to it, but still fits into the general strong points of the 701.

And I don't think wanting to hear a different sound means I made the wrong decision. It means that I enjoy have different takes on the same music or different music. I don't think in all reality there is a best headphone for everything. I love my 701's but I also like variety
biggrin.gif
k701smile.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any sort of that upper-high's harshness in the D2000's like there is in the 595's?

Upper high harshness? No, beautiful highs. But to be honest, i didn't hear any harshness in HD595 ether, in fact i didn't hear any upper highs with HD595 at all...maybe because i was forced to use them with low volume only since they distort like hell on more than 50% on my sources. OK, maybe it was a bad comparison since i really really hate those cans
biggrin.gif
But i've heard a lot of bright cans and i know what it means to be harsh. D2000 are not harsh.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are "companion cans"?
To me, if I want to hear a different sound, it means I made the wrong choice to begin with!

No, it means you like only a couple of artist/genre that tend to record their music in similar/same way. There is no headphone/speaker that can produce every single song perfectly, and if you happen to like various types of music like me and OP and many more people you can't be satisfied with only one sound signature. That's the reason why there's so many manufacturers out there
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

No, it means you like only a couple of artist/genre that tend to record their music in similar/same way. There is no headphone/speaker that can produce every single song perfectly, and if you happen to like various types of music like me and OP and many more people you can't be satisfied with only one sound signature. That's the reason why there's so many manufacturers out there
wink.gif

x2

There is no real do-it-all can, I mean some can come close. I love my 701's for light female vocals, acoustic, and electronic music. I also love progressive rock and some other darker types of music which really don't sound "musical" enough through the ultra critical 701's, hence a companion headphone.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #30 of 31
I use the RS-1s as about polar opposites. The K701s do what illy2k says. The RS-1s step it up a pace with more bass impact. They don't do accuracy like the 701s but they do give more energy in the lows. The highs of the RS are really aggressive but they do guitars so f'n good. Both cans are similar in a forward presentation (with the right tube combo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back