JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Feb 2, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,741 of 1,936
So, anyone know of a place in Calgary (or in Canada that ships to Calgary) that one could buy these for $40? The tips are prefect but I've come way to close to losing them already. I figure at $40 it would be cheaper than going searching for tips that fit, are comfortable, and sound the same. Unfortunately, FutureShop is sold out and have completely removed the JVC FRD80 from their site. Damn my crazy bad luck.

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #1,742 of 1,936
  I don't think poking holes on the filter of a IEM with a nozzle-mounted driver is a very clever idea.

I agree. The change in sound probably isn't worth the risk of damage. Besides, you may not even like the sound and screw yourself out of how much ever you paid for these, since its permanent.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,743 of 1,936
  So, anyone know of a place in Calgary (or in Canada that ships to Calgary) that one could buy these for $40? The tips are prefect but I've come way to close to losing them already. I figure at $40 it would be cheaper than going searching for tips that fit, are comfortable, and sound the same. Unfortunately, FutureShop is sold out and have completely removed the JVC FRD80 from their site. Damn my crazy bad luck.

well you're not alone :frowning2:

The sale was supposed to end on February 13 but I assume they sold out and couldn't restock. Now they're bringing back promotion on the Xtreme Xplosives but they aren't even on sale.

Right now London Drugs has FX40s for 20$, FRD60 for 30$ and FXC80 for 40$. Not sure how well these compare to the FXD80 but there are some bad reviews for the FXC80 with regard to durability and lack of bass. I think FRD/FXD60 is less refined than the FXD/FRD80. I haven't tried the FX40 but I've heard a lot of good things about them. I think right now the FRD60 sounds like a good deal but not as good as FS's deal with the FRD80.

I wonder when the FXT90 will be brought back on sale because some Future Shop stores have them even though they aren't listed. They're being sold at 100$ (the price tag actually said the over-ear headphone HA-NC120 but I checked with them it's the same price so they put it under that tag).

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,744 of 1,936
well you're not alone :frowning2:

The sale was supposed to end on February 13 but I assume they sold out and couldn't restock. Now they're bringing back promotion on the Xtreme Xplosives but they aren't even on sale.

Right now London Drugs has FX40s for 20$, FRD60 for 30$ and FXC80 for 40$. Not sure how well these compare to the FXD80 but there are some bad reviews for the FXC80 with regard to durability and lack of bass. I think FRD/FXD60 is less refined than the FXD/FRD80. I haven't tried the FX40 but I've heard a lot of good things about them. I think right now the FRD60 sounds like a good deal but not as good as FS's deal with the FRD80.

I wonder when the FXT90 will be brought back on sale because some Future Shop stores have them even though they aren't listed. They're being sold at 100$ (the price tag actually said the over-ear headphone HA-NC120 but I checked with them it's the same price so they put it under that tag).

Hmm im debating on selling mine. About a month old, light usage. Used at home mostly but not sure. And how much. Like im not asking to make a profit, i live in toronto , so save some for shipping. I wanna try the fxt 90. Thats probably where the money will go to. Anyone has that willing to trade or sell?

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #1,745 of 1,936
Anyone know how the fxd60 compare to the fx40? I'll buy one or the other while I wait for futureshop to get some more frd80. For now, the I'm planning on making the 80 my at home iem and hopefully the 60 (if its better than the fx40) my on the go iem. Until I find the 80 so I dont have to freaking worry about them so much..... Damn it, I got attached to pair of earphones.:):D

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #1,746 of 1,936
Anyone know how the fxd60 compare to the fx40? I'll buy one or the other while I wait for futureshop to get some more frd80. For now, the I'm planning on making the 80 my at home iem and hopefully the 60 (if its better than the fx40) my on the go iem. Until I find the 80 so I dont have to freaking worry about them so much..... Damn it, I got attached to pair of earphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

According to http://rinchoi.blogspot.fr/2013/05/jvc-ha-fxd60-fxd70-fxd80-nanotube.html, FXD60 is very close soundwise to FXD80, closer than FXD70 is to the latter. Which is not surprising, they share the same technology (I bet the the drivers are identical in FXD60/70/80).

I haven't listened to FX40, but they are an older generation (not the carbon nanotube diaphragm in FXDs) and if you're after FXD80 they will probably not be the best replacement. Nothing wrong with that and who knows, you may prefer them.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,748 of 1,936
I would recommend getting the FRD60 at London Drugs but quick as they are getting sold out too.

As for me I'll stick to my Audio-Technica CKM500s for now =/

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,749 of 1,936

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,752 of 1,936
  I was going to say the Yamaha EPH 100 since I see that comparison alot, then I realized it's 150$ on Amazon. WTH
FXD 80>* I would say nothing really competes with what it uniquely provides in terms of build, sound characteristics. But someone may have some more insight.

tbqh i don't think really anything really in that price range has this sort of sound signature

most consumer oriented earphones (most iems under 100$ generally speaking ofc) are v shaped but are on the warmer side

the fxd 80 is a rather cold earphone despite the v shape response

vocals are clear as day but unnatural, mids have quite a scoop, the mid treble and mid bass have quite an emphasis (i would say a bit more midbass>mid treble) and with good extension both ways. more bass extension> treble though 

it was a bit bright at first but i've gotten use to it

the jvc fxd80 is quite a unique pair indeed. its built very well for the price and i really don't have concerns about it breaking anytime soon (hope i don't jinx myself) which speaks volumes compare to my monster turbines (where the housing is as solid as the jvcs but the cable and the jack is rubbish by far) and a different sound signature (while bassy, more mid centric >the jvcs)

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #1,753 of 1,936
What other iem compete with the fxd80s under 75?

Depends on what you mean by "compete"

If you want to know what other iems would be better at the giving you the 'cold yet big' sound signature that the fxd80 goes for - none.
If you want to know what other iems under 75 are just generally good iems, then yeah, there's many offerings (especially from Chinese brands) that offer equal amount of 'wow' for your money while offering a different sound signature. At the price point of 75, you'll get many iems that are mostly 'different' rather than better or worse. I wouldn't say the Vsonic VSD1S is either better or worse than my frd80. I wouldn't say the MeElectronics A151 is better or worse. They're equally good buys. 

That said, at 75$, their build quality is unparalleled. Great cable, stainless steel housing, awkward but very functional cable cinch. In my opinion, it can be debated whether the fxd80 offers the best sound under $75, but the fxd80 does offer the best package under $75.

Solution. Buy multiple iems. Be impressed by each as you switch. I have my frd80, but I'm not letting my soundmagic e10 go anywhere.

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #1,754 of 1,936
Thanks for the reply. Im a total noob who mostly wrongly judges by bass and clarity..or lack of muddy sound. From all my research I've come down to a few items under $80 but I'm preferring the fxd80s over my other shortlisted items..because as you said for its total package especially build. If you could can you check out my thread and help me out a bit.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,755 of 1,936

Do you still want a pair? Mines has the remote works for android and iphone. Im willing to let it go for 40-45$ used less than 25 hours, very very carefully taken care of. I have everything it came with, box, tips everything.

Anyone interested? I live in toronto btw so shipping will be fast and cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back