JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Mar 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #1,666 of 1,764
Loose seal and shallow insertion pretty much yield same results. Doneboth ways, small tips barely going in and long tips that leave some open air in between the canal. The curves are still there IME, midbass is reduced but it's still more present than the subbass which also gets reduced. 

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,667 of 1,764
Quote:
Loose seal and shallow insertion pretty much yield same results. Doneboth ways, small tips barely going in and long tips that leave some open air in between the canal. The curves are still there IME, midbass is reduced but it's still more present than the subbass which also gets reduced. 

I've been going through 30+ kinds of tips with my FX700 and there's definitely a difference between a loose seal with deeper insertion and a shallow one, at least to my ears. However, since no two ears are the same, there's obviously no guarantee that a different person will experience the same thing, so this is just me reporting my personal findings, no more, no less. IME the curves vary quite noticeably with tips and insertion, most strikingly in bass and mids, whereas the highs remain less affected.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,668 of 1,764
Got a question on the fx700 and thought i would ask instead of a new thread.

Just received these today from another member and really happy with the build and sound but have noticed that the right nozzle has a very small hole in the mesh, about the size of a pin prick. Doesnt appear to affect the sound, is the mesh a wax guard and do i need to worry about this?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,669 of 1,764

Quote:
Got a question on the fx700 and thought i would ask instead of a new thread.
Just received these today from another member and really happy with the build and sound but have noticed that the right nozzle has a very small hole in the mesh, about the size of a pin prick. Doesnt appear to affect the sound, is the mesh a wax guard and do i need to worry about this?

Are you talking about the black filter?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,670 of 1,764
Yes the black mesh/filter visible through whichever tip is attached to the nozzle.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,671 of 1,764
I mean if it's not a big hole most likely you should be ok. Does the hole go all the way through the filer? Not sure why its like that at all though?

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,672 of 1,764
Figure these guys deserve a bump.  Maybe they can't be considered under appreciated, but this guys should always get a little more love.  No matter which set I use, every time I come back to these guys, the sound is just so lovely... and somewhat versatile considering how you can "mold" the sound characteristics with insertion/ear tips.

Only thing left that would make these perfect is to bring the mids/vocals a bit closer and more forward, otherwise so lovely.

As a side note, I know many say the FX-90T gets you close at more than half the price but, I don't know.  I have both and there's a quality that the FX-90 can't match at all- and it's not placebo effect at all.  No pun intended but the FX-700 just sounds richer, fuller.  Not quite as wide of a soundstage as the FX-90, but it does have a "taller" sound stage.  The FX-90 mids are nice, but overall presentation doesn't seem as musical...though not sure if that's the right word.  It's just a certain je ne sais quoi element to it.

Yay FX-700.  Pouring you a 40 for the homies in tribute.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,673 of 1,764
How long have you had your FX700s? They sound state greatly expands with lots of usage. I'd say 200+ hours and they really open up nicely.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,674 of 1,764
I can agree with FX700 being richer. I liked the FT90 mids a lot better but detailing is definitely better on the FX700.  Also I thought the FX700 soundstage was more enveloping or sometimes surrounding you, as well as also having much better treble.  However what was most surprising to me, is that the FXT90 instrument realism got so close to the FX700.

I'm ready for JVC to introduce some new FX models to see how much further they can push the envelope with this line.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,675 of 1,764

Quote:
I can agree with FX700 being richer. I liked the FT90 mids a lot better but detailing is definitely better on the FX700.  Also I thought the FX700 soundstage was more enveloping or sometimes surrounding you, as well as also having much better treble.  However what was most surprising to me, is that the FXT90 instrument realism got so close to the FX700.

I'm ready for JVC to introduce some new FX models to see how much further they can push the envelope with this line.

If they could make the bass more controlled yet still maintain the texture and warmth, further refine the treble, making it smoother while maintaining the extension, and bring the mid range upfront would make them perfect. Also the cable is stupid and needs to be extended by at least 6 inches, even make it detachable for longevity which is a must for an item in this price range. Using the extension actually degrades the sound and its quite noticeable to my ears. Even using the Shure extension degrades the sound quality but I use it otherwise they would be on the for sale forum (no point in owning something you get upset at using due to inconvenience).

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,676 of 1,764

Quote:

If they could make the bass more controlled yet still maintain the texture and warmth, further refine the treble, making it smoother while maintaining the extension, and bring the mid range upfront would make them perfect. Also the cable is stupid and needs to be extended by at least 6 inches, even make it detachable for longevity which is a must for an item in this price range. Using the extension actually degrades the sound and its quite noticeable to my ears. Even using the Shure extension degrades the sound quality but I use it otherwise they would be on the for sale forum (no point in owning something you get upset at using due to inconvenience).

It pains me to read of a fellow HF'er, especially one that has contributed so much to this community that is not happy with their IEM.
I will help you and buy them. That is the least I can do.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,677 of 1,764

Quote:
How long have you had your FX700s? They sound state greatly expands with lots of usage. I'd say 200+ hours and they really open up nicely.

I've had them awhile, probably close to 300 hours by now.  The sound stage (or size-I guess) does change a bit with different tips/insertion depth.  Usually I like large Sony Hybrid tips (one size larger than usual), sound stage is really quite expansive with those.  Currently have Sennheiser double flange tips on-and liking them so far.  Sound stage seems to be a little be more narrow, but idk-they seem a bit cleaner throughout.

Occasionally the (lack of) mids bother me-I wish JVC would just pull them up front a little more instead of keeping them recessed and distant, but they do everything else so well, I'm not complaining too much.  Can always switch over to my SM3's if I'm craving mids.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,679 of 1,764
What frequency range would one need to reduce to remove some of the mid-bass? I LOVE these IEM's, but the mid-bass really drives me nuts on certain recordings.

Midbass is around 125-250, higher or lower a bit depending on preference. That didnt bother mme too much on the fx700's, when I EQ'ed them I turned the mids and mid-hi's plus a touch of sub-bass up, while turning down the overall preamp just barely.

These phones seem to be extremely source dependant, and tips just as much it seems. I'd say venture out of stock tips if you havent already, its a win-win situation... Ive been using the clear v-moda silicon tips to bring to a bit of balance across the spectrum

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,680 of 1,764

Quote:
Midbass is around 125-250, higher or lower a bit depending on preference. That didnt bother mme too much on the fx700's, when I EQ'ed them I turned the mids and mid-hi's plus a touch of sub-bass up, while turning down the overall preamp just barely.
These phones seem to be extremely source dependant, and tips just as much it seems. I'd say venture out of stock tips if you havent already, its a win-win situation... Ive been using the clear v-moda silicon tips to bring to a bit of balance across the spectrum

Same, the V-moda bass tips work wonders for me and helps to bring the mids more forward and helps to balance the bass out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back