JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #271 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FX700 are a rare exception from most IEMs I bought, in so far as I'm perfectly happy with the stock tips.

I'm using the stock tips as well. I get a perfect seal, plus they're fairly comfortable.

The only complaint I have is that the default cord is too short, so I'm forced to use their extension cable. This adds more bulk and I'm not able to put the earphones plus extension cable in the case, so I have to carry the extension cable separately. It's worth it though, at least to me.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #272 of 1,764
So where did you guys get these the cheapest? Is it still seyo-shop or else? does anyone know how to get one at even lower price (discount coupons, etc perhaps
rolleyes.gif
)?

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #273 of 1,764
I heard good things about MD and wondering if some MD, FX700 users can comapre these two.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #274 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello @ Chris. I think search would like these based on your impressions. They told in three business days the 700s would be shipped. So I suspect Tuesday or Wednesday.

So Chris, I know you don't have the MDs right now, but strings still better in the 700s based on your recollection of the MDs. Because man, I was listening to the MDs all that yesterday and the strings are hella good!! Chris, did you get foam supertips with your Copper, and if so, do you like them?

Still think it's more instrument depth and width in the 700s than the Copper and MDs. Because they have a lot as you know. I can't wait to hear these IEMs.

Yeah, it'll be a few days until I get the MD's back I think. From my recollection, I think that strings are at least as good and textured as with the MD's... and I'm suspecting I'll like them better on the 700's once I get to do a back to back again. The 700's are just so clear and dimensional, and natural sounding. I think the MD's are a little more thick and warm through the mids, while the 700's are just pure clear goodness!

I did get the white super tips with the Coppers, but haven't tried them yet on the 700's because I don't have much luck with them on the Coppers. I'm currently using Sony EX silicone tips on the 700's with good result (despite my earlier post- maybe I'm getting used to the brighter sound they provide).

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #275 of 1,764
So shall we call the fx700 the perfect universal iem as I suspected or just flavour of the month like the ck10 was?

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #277 of 1,764
They're too good to warrant FOTM status....

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #278 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it'll be a few days until I get the MD's back I think. From my recollection, I think that strings are at least as good and textured as with the MD's... and I'm suspecting I'll like them better on the 700's once I get to do a back to back again. The 700's are just so clear and dimensional, and natural sounding. I think the MD's are a little more thick and warm through the mids, while the 700's are just pure clear goodness!

I did get the white super tips with the Coppers, but haven't tried them yet on the 700's because I don't have much luck with them on the Coppers. I'm currently using Sony EX silicone tips on the 700's with good result (despite my earlier post- maybe I'm getting used to the brighter sound they provide).

I find FX500 are pretty good(big soundstage, deep reverbing bass and clear highs)for there price range but if FX700 are really improvement over FX500 then it willbe on top in(very highend dynamic)IEMs list.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #279 of 1,764
So I think these must function somewhat like an open full sized headphone (although I've only ever owned closed cans, because of isolation needs at work), with the mesh on the backs of the housings.... I bet that opening contributes to their space and soundstaging. While listening, and wondering how much the open backs hurt isolation, I covered them with a finger on each, and it really shut down the stage width. It did seem to help isolation though.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #280 of 1,764
@Napilopez thanks for your patience, here's a short comparison of the FX700 and HJE900. Remember, my Pannies are foam-modded, meaning I stuffed a small amout of foam into the nozzle to dampen the highs and bring out the mids.

First thing I noticed on A/Bing these two, is how incredibly well build the HJE900 are for the money. By no means do the FX700 look cheap, but the Pannies inspire even more confidence.

Ok, now for the sound: Bass levels are about equal between these, but the JVCs have more weight, because just like the IE8 the HJE900 has an obvious emphasis on upper bass. The latters hump isn't nearly as large as the Senn's and there's no invasion of the midrange to speak of, but the JVCs are flatter and you hear/feel more deep bass with them. On the other hand the Pannies are a tiny bit speedier with trance and fast electronica, not as fast as the FX500, but somewhere in between the two JVCs. Noteby: even the FX700 have excellent speed for dynamic driver based IEMs, so this is nitpicking on a high level.

Even though the foam mod helps to bring out the midrange on the Pannies, the FX700 are slightly more forward. Vocals sound a bit more laid-back but nevertheless very pleasant on the HJE900, whereas the FX700 present vocals in a way that demands your attention. With some phones and music this can easily get too friendly and fatiguing, but the JVCs do it with such gorgeous smoothness and timbre that I'd rather call them intoxicating instead. Speaking of which, I remember Chris saying he's using them at work and there's is no way I can picture myself doing this, as they would sure as hell deflect my attention too much, lol.

Let's move on to treble and face it: the guys at JVC may have an odd sense of humour, buggin' you with short cords and hiding your spare tips, but they have done their homework on the FX700's highs. They are easily among the best I've heard, detailed, extended and refined, and while the Pannies can keep up in extension and detail, overall refinement is noticably better on the JVCs. Their rendering of cymbals is simply more realistic than the HJE900's. Both are not all too forgiving with sibilant material, but the ssssss on the Pannies are more vicious than on the JVCs.

Soundstage strikes me as a bit more generous on the FX700, though I never thought the HJE900 lacking when solely listening to them. The JVC's open design also adds some welcome airiness that's missing from the Pannies. Imaging and positioning is good with both, but the 3D illusion is more pronounced with the FX700. Of course, isolation-wise the JVCs are no match for the closed Pannies.

So, can the FX700 be considered an upgrade to the HJE900? Obviously the answer is yes, but the difference in price tag ($320 vs. $110) certainly does not reflect the amount of improvement. Once again, a textbook case of diminishing returns, the curse of those who are in pursuit of audio excellence.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #283 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're too good to warrant FOTM status....

nothing is above FOTM status, tbh there is nothing wrong being FOTM anyway and everything goes through it at some point but its the staying power after FOTM status has faded that really lets you know how good something is

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #284 of 1,764
Well I sure can't see these fading quickly in some 'flash in the pan' manner.... I'm sure they'll be around for a while and highly regarded the whole time. But this is HF, so who knows. I'm sure there'll be somebody eventually who has to criticize just to start arguments for that sake. But there really isn't anything left wanting sonically with these, so that would be hard to do!

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #285 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Napilopez thanks for your patience, here's a short comparison of the FX700 and HJE900. Remember, my Pannies are foam-modded, meaning I stuffed a small amout of foam into the nozzle to dampen the highs and bring out the mids.

First thing I noticed on A/Bing these two, is how incredibly well build the HJE900 are for the money. By no means do the FX700 look cheap, but the Pannies inspire even more confidence.

Ok, now for the sound: Bass levels are about equal between these, but the JVCs have more weight, because just like the IE8 the HJE900 has an obvious emphasis on upper bass. The latters hump isn't nearly as large as the Senn's and there's no invasion of the midrange to speak of, but the JVCs are flatter and you hear/feel more deep bass with them. On the other hand the Pannies are a tiny bit speedier with trance and fast electronica, not as fast as the FX500, but somewhere in between the two JVCs. Noteby: even the FX700 have excellent speed for dynamic driver based IEMs, so this is nitpicking on a high level.

Even though the foam mod helps to bring out the midrange on the Pannies, the FX700 are slightly more forward. Vocals sound a bit more laid-back but nevertheless very pleasant on the HJE900, whereas the FX700 present vocals in a way that demands your attention. With some phones and music this can easily get too friendly and fatiguing, but the JVCs do it with such gorgeous smoothness and timbre that I'd rather call them intoxicating instead. Speaking of which, I remember Chris saying he's using them at work and there's is no way I can picture myself doing this, as they would sure as hell deflect my attention too much, lol.

Let's move on to treble and face it: the guys at JVC may have an odd sense of humour, buggin' you with short cords and hiding your spare tips, but they have done their homework on the FX700's highs. They are easily among the best I've heard, detailed, extended and refined, and while the Pannies can keep up in extension and detail, overall refinement is noticably better on the JVCs. Their rendering of cymbals is simply more realistic than the HJE900's. Both are not all too forgiving with sibilant material, but the ssssss on the Pannies are more vicious than on the JVCs.

Soundstage strikes me as a bit more generous on the FX700, though I never thought the HJE900 lacking when solely listening to them. The JVC's open design also adds some welcome airiness that's missing from the Pannies. Imaging and positioning is good with both, but the 3D illusion is more pronounced with the FX700. Of course, isolation-wise the JVCs are no match for the closed Pannies.

So, can the FX700 be considered an upgrade to the HJE900? Obviously the answer is yes, but the difference in price tag ($320 vs. $110) certainly does not reflect the amount of improvement. Once again, a textbook case of diminishing returns, the curse of those who are in pursuit of audio excellence.
smily_headphones1.gif

'inspire', 'invasion', 'friendly', 'gorgeous smoothness', 'intoxicating', 'vicious', 'curse'...wow, I really like how you describe stuff. Those are some words that I don't see all the time in review or comparison, except maybe ppl like shigzeo...
Anyway, thank for the comparison. Hopefully I can sell my lens soon, then it's time to pull the trigger...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back