JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #286 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I sure can't see these fading quickly in some 'flash in the pan' manner.... I'm sure they'll be around for a while and highly regarded the whole time. But this is HF, so who knows. I'm sure there'll be somebody eventually who has to criticize just to start arguments for that sake. But there really isn't anything left wanting sonically with these, so that would be hard to do!

i dont doubt given how interesting the fx500 are

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #287 of 1,764
Haha it's almost 2am in Sydney and I just bought a pair from Seyo..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hope I made the right decision as it's difficult for me to choose between these or the Coppers to complement or even replace my IE8..

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #288 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thanks, I'm always careful about adding new phones to my signature, but in all likelihood the FX700 will soon be leading my dynamics ranking.

James, I was reading the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 thread, and saw your post saying that "Ortofon e-Q7 remains the single best IEM I've heard so far". With the FX-700 in the house, do e-Q7 still remain your favorite IEM?

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #289 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont doubt given how interesting the fx500 are

Congrats on your new FX-700, I will be following your footstep soon enough, when my buyer pays me...
L3000.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #290 of 1,764
Quote:

nothing is above FOTM status, tbh there is nothing wrong being FOTM anyway and everything goes through it at some point but its the staying power after FOTM status has faded that really lets you know how good something is

x2 and a major reason why I've been keeping allmost all of my phones so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James, I was reading the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 thread, and saw your post saying that "Ortofon e-Q7 remains the single best IEM I've heard so far". With the FX-700 in the house, do e-Q7 still remain your favorite IEM?

Hi koonhua, I only recently got my Ortofons back after several weeks, put them on and instantly was under their spell again. To me they have that staying power that Mark was mentioning and that the FX700 have yet to prove. As it is now, I'm admittedly flirting with the JVCs, but still happily married to the Ortofons.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #295 of 1,764
Quote:

x2 and a major reason why I've been keeping allmost all of my phones so far.

Hi koonhua, I only recently got my Ortofons back after several weeks, put them on and instantly was under their spell again. To me they have that staying power that Mark was mentioning and that the FX700 have yet to prove. As it is now, I'm admittedly flirting with the JVCs, but still happily married to the Ortofons.
wink.gif

Hmm, this kind of restrain me from getting the JVC right now...I'd rather have few more wives than mistresses
icon10.gif

With no intention of trolling, I just want to ask you guys here who own JH 13/16, how good is the JVC compared to the JH? So would you guys say that the JH is totally a class in front the JVC? I just got my lens sold with some good price...cant wait to splurge a bit
darthsmile.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #296 of 1,764
james - really great thread and very informative
icon10.gif

Okay, I have a question for you. In an earlier post you mentioned that the JVC's are warm to your ears, but not as warm as the IE8? Chris said the same thing during one of my regular 'stalking him' sessions in which I quiz him ruthlessly on the tiniest of details, force him to test certain tracks over and over, and then make him report back with all his findings
icon10.gif

No. I do do that!!

Anyway, in your opinion - what percentage warmer are the IE8's and Pannys than the JVC? Both of those were too warm for me, and the MD's also turned out to be too warm for me. So I'm trying to work out exactly how warm the JVC's are because I'm obsessed about not having any more warm phones
regular_smile .gif

Next, how efficient are they? When I had the FX1000/500, I had to use a fair bit more volume on my Sony dap than I did with the IE8, even though both phones were rated 16ohms and both had similar isolation for me. Have you noticed if you need more volume with the JVC?

And finally, thanks to Chris - mine should be here soon!! If I like them, I'll sell my Coppers and stick with the JVC's (provided they don't drag my ear lobes to the ground with the size.... ) - but I'm thinking I'll like them, because the weak and recessed midrange I heard with the others seems to have been well and truly fixed. If the bass is a bit too happy, I can EQ it down anyway, that's what I did with the FX1000/500s.

Hope to get them by the end of the week provided customs doesn't hold on to them - like they did with my empty IE8 case for two whole weeks
mad.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #297 of 1,764
Quote:

Congrats on your new FX-700, I will be following your footstep soon enough, when my buyer pays me...
L3000.gif

Quote:

erm no no, i haven bought the fx700 Quote:

I was commenting on m-p's post, sorry for any misunderstanding.

LOL
tongue.gif
and thanks by the way

I just sold my FX500 the day before and apparently I can't live without a pair of wooden iem's
smile.gif
and as I said I thought the stronger upper frequencies, more clarity, less mid-upper bass hump, and more control on deeper bass from the FX700 will complement or even replace my IE8.., but I don't know, will just wait and listen.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #298 of 1,764
Quote:

@Napilopez thanks for your patience, here's a short comparison of the FX700 and HJE900. Remember, my Pannies are foam-modded, meaning I stuffed a small amout of foam into the nozzle to dampen the highs and bring out the mids.

First thing I noticed on A/Bing these two, is how incredibly well build the HJE900 are for the money. By no means do the FX700 look cheap, but the Pannies inspire even more confidence.

Ok, now for the sound: Bass levels are about equal between these, but the JVCs have more weight, because just like the IE8 the HJE900 has an obvious emphasis on upper bass. The latters hump isn't nearly as large as the Senn's and there's no invasion of the midrange to speak of, but the JVCs are flatter and you hear/feel more deep bass with them. On the other hand the Pannies are a tiny bit speedier with trance and fast electronica, not as fast as the FX500, but somewhere in between the two JVCs. Noteby: even the FX700 have excellent speed for dynamic driver based IEMs, so this is nitpicking on a high level.

Even though the foam mod helps to bring out the midrange on the Pannies, the FX700 are slightly more forward. Vocals sound a bit more laid-back but nevertheless very pleasant on the HJE900, whereas the FX700 present vocals in a way that demands your attention. With some phones and music this can easily get too friendly and fatiguing, but the JVCs do it with such gorgeous smoothness and timbre that I'd rather call them intoxicating instead. Speaking of which, I remember Chris saying he's using them at work and there's is no way I can picture myself doing this, as they would sure as hell deflect my attention too much, lol.

Let's move on to treble and face it: the guys at JVC may have an odd sense of humour, buggin' you with short cords and hiding your spare tips, but they have done their homework on the FX700's highs. They are easily among the best I've heard, detailed, extended and refined, and while the Pannies can keep up in extension and detail, overall refinement is noticably better on the JVCs. Their rendering of cymbals is simply more realistic than the HJE900's. Both are not all too forgiving with sibilant material, but the ssssss on the Pannies are more vicious than on the JVCs.

Soundstage strikes me as a bit more generous on the FX700, though I never thought the HJE900 lacking when solely listening to them. The JVC's open design also adds some welcome airiness that's missing from the Pannies. Imaging and positioning is good with both, but the 3D illusion is more pronounced with the FX700. Of course, isolation-wise the JVCs are no match for the closed Pannies.

So, can the FX700 be considered an upgrade to the HJE900? Obviously the answer is yes, but the difference in price tag ($320 vs. $110) certainly does not reflect the amount of improvement. Once again, a textbook case of diminishing returns, the curse of those who are in pursuit of audio excellence.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for keeping us updated with new comparison! Weird thing is the Pannies is priced around $150 in Japan
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #299 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Okay, I have a question for you. In an earlier post you mentioned that the JVC's are warm to your ears, but not as warm as the IE8? Chris said the same thing during one of my regular 'stalking him' sessions in which I quiz him ruthlessly on the tiniest of details, force him to test certain tracks over and over, and then make him report back with all his findings
icon10.gif

No. I do do that!!

Anyway, in your opinion - what percentage warmer are the IE8's and Pannys than the JVC? Both of those were too warm for me, and the MD's also turned out to be too warm for me. So I'm trying to work out exactly how warm the JVC's are because I'm obsessed about not having any more warm phones
regular_smile .gif

Next, how efficient are they? When I had the FX1000/500, I had to use a fair bit more volume on my Sony dap than I did with the IE8, even though both phones were rated 16ohms and both had similar isolation for me. Have you noticed if you need more volume with the JVC?

And finally, thanks to Chris - mine should be here soon!! If I like them, I'll sell my Coppers and stick with the JVC's (provided they don't drag my ear lobes to the ground with the size.... ) - but I'm thinking I'll like them, because the weak and recessed midrange I heard with the others seems to have been well and truly fixed. If the bass is a bit too happy, I can EQ it down anyway, that's what I did with the FX1000/500s.

Hope to get them by the end of the week provided customs doesn't hold on to them - like they did with my empty IE8 case for two whole weeks
mad.gif

Julie,
You can quiz me till heart's content! I know we always hear things very close, so you can be sure I'll return the favor when you try out something new which piques my interest!

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #300 of 1,764
Quote:

icon10.gif

icon10.gif

No. I do do that!!

regular_smile .gif

Soozieq, I'm so sorry, but due to the Eyjafjallajokull eruption and aircraft being grounded, my esteemed expert on calculating warmth percentages didn't make it in time, so you have to put up with my own rough estimate.
wink.gif
In any case, the main difference between the IE8/Pannies and the FX700 is bass emphasis. Both of the former have an obvious emphasis on upper bass, a main ingredient of their warm sound signature. The FX700 feature a flatter distribution of bass across the lower ranges and I'd say they appear less warm to my ears, while still being clearly on the warmish side of neutral.

Quote:

They are slightly more efficient than the FX500, I think it was two or three notches on my Sony's volume when I compared them.

Quote:

mad.gif

I already said I like them even better with about -5db off upper bass (so far I seem to be the only one) and while it's a breeze with the Cowon or Fuze, that stupid Sony EQ only allows you to add (Clear)bass. The lowest band you can EQ down is 400Hz, so you have to up all other bands except Clearbass to get this about right. Anyway, I hope you'll soon be able to give your own opinion of the FX700.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back