JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Dec 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #843 of 1,764
Hi again,
After some songs of different genres some quicik comments.
I love the soundstage of these iems they indeed really sound like real headphones, they like to be turned up loud though. I am a big soundstage lover so in that regard these are really good for me. They do have a touch too much bass, i do prefer the more well-tuned subwoofer bass that the turbine pro copper have but these beat them soundly where soundstage is concerned and I always find soundstage to be pretty important when it regards headphones.
Some instruments tend to sound a bit harsh on some tracks for example guitars. Highs in general are not too harsh for me. On some tracks the midrange tends to get a bit obfuscated by bass.
In general the midrange is where i find a few faults with these since it seems to lack a bit of dynamic range and seems to sound a bit muffled and laid back and not as open as the other parts of the soundspectrum. I am in this regard mostly referring to vocals sounding this way. I prefer a midrange that is a tad fuller and warmer sounding. Pianos and applaus sounds gorgeous on these though.
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #844 of 1,764
Hi Anouk, glad you got them so fast! The tips on these are the medium stock silicons. I believe you get a good seal with them since you said the isolation was better than you expected. Now the thing with the FX700 is they sound indeed a bit too bassy with a tight seal for those who love a balanced sound signature. Therefore I recommend trying them with the smallest tips and only a loose seal, as they will sound less bassy and better balanced this way. Obviously isolation will be less than with tight sealing tips though.

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #846 of 1,764
Hi again, Well I did some tip changing. I think i lost one of the small (tiny) silicon tips. My household help will be here in two hours and i will see if she can locate it. Anyway I now put in the smallest of the two pairs of hard tips that you included. Not sure what they are called. They are a tiny bit less comfortable but I do think they fit a bit looser although I still hope I can locate the small silicon tip because i think these are the smallest tips you included. Otherwise I will have to see what tips the final audio design come with. I am now listening to jeff buckleys version of hallelujah and I do notice some harshness on the highs of the vocals of that song (i have it in 320kbit mp3). Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #848 of 1,764
I agree the silicon tips are more comfortable than the other ones, which seem to be made of some high density foam. I hope you can locate the missing small silicon tip, otherwise the SB's stock silicons should fit the FX700 as well.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #849 of 1,764
James would I be correct in saying that these are like the Pana's except with more forward-mids, bigger soundstage, worse isolation, same unique (but different) timbre? How do the bass and treble compare?

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #851 of 1,764
Quote:
James would I be correct in saying that these are like the Pana's except with more forward-mids, bigger soundstage, worse isolation, same unique (but different) timbre? How do the bass and treble compare?

They are indeed a bit like the Panas, but with everything sounding bigger and more refined. Bass has more authority, but without being bloated, soundstage is huge, the highs can be as agressive as the HJE900's, yet to my ears in a more refined way. Judging by memory I believe the HJE900's mids with foam mod are roughly comparable to the FX700 and isolation is indeed worse. As for timbre, I don't particularly remember the Panas for their timbre, it wasn't bad but IMO didn't stand out either. The FX700 are special to me in that regard, I just love their timbre with strings and acoustic instruments in general.

Quote:
Hi James, Not to worry, my household help found the small tip but in the end i prefer the jvc with the bigger softish tips. I am now going to try them on the fad because i prefer a bit tighter seal then what I am getting now with the standard fad tips. Greetings, Anouk,

Hi Anouk, don't worry either, I have more than enough spare tips to keep me afloat for a long time. Btw. the smaller silicon tips should be just as softish as the medium ones.

One other thing, I noticed you calling the FAD tips squishy and wonder whether you meant the stock silicons?
Edit: just read your PM, I believe you meant the comply tips.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #852 of 1,764
Hmmmmm.... color me intrigued, I always took myself for a dynamic guy but after listening to the orto's I like the more balanced sound... but these JVC's sound very enticing 
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

They are indeed a bit like the Panas, but with everything sounding bigger and more refined. Bass has more authority, but without being bloated, soundstage is huge, the highs can be as agressive as the HJE900's, yet to my ears in a more refined way. Judging by memory I believe the HJE900's mids with foam mod are roughly comparable to the FX700 and isolation is indeed worse. As for timbre, I don't particularly remember the Panas for their timbre, it wasn't bad but IMO didn't stand out either. The FX700 are special to me in that regard, I just love their timbre with strings and acoustic instruments in general.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #853 of 1,764
Hello again,
After spending yesterday with the final audio design, as i did on wednessday with the fx700, today i put in the fx700 again and hwile IU dig the livelier response and the bigger bas sslam the midrange is just not as alluring as the one on the fad for me at least. So I am glad I bought the fad instead of the jvc although I would still love to compare the fad sb to the monster turbine pro copper (which is a dynamic driver iem) to see how bass compares because i htink the monster has a bit more slam and authoritiy and can go deeper still.
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #854 of 1,764

I get the feeling I'm going to have the same opinion when comparing with my orto's but I just can't help wanting to listen to these 
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Hello again,
After spending yesterday with the final audio design, as i did on wednessday with the fx700, today i put in the fx700 again and hwile IU dig the livelier response and the bigger bas sslam the midrange is just not as alluring as the one on the fad for me at least. So I am glad I bought the fad instead of the jvc although I would still love to compare the fad sb to the monster turbine pro copper (which is a dynamic driver iem) to see how bass compares because i htink the monster has a bit more slam and authoritiy and can go deeper still.
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #855 of 1,764
Anyone had a problem with their weight?
My ears hurt when I wear them for longer periods...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back