JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
May 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #466 of 1,764
No clue how to multi-quote but thank you cn11 and koonhua90!! This information was very helpful. You guys mention of the mid-bass being more than that of the FX500 and less than that of the IE8 is good news indeed to me. I thought the FX500 had lots of bass but was quite lacking in midbass which I thought was one of the reason its mids were a bit thin and recessed. Mid-bass goes a good way in providing chest/body to vocals, so this may also help explain the (perceived) more present mids in the FX700. I like what am hearing about these and the SM3 but the SM3 are too hideous. I may actually choose an IEM based on looks this time around.

May 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #467 of 1,764

Quote:

That's really interesting about the bass.  I like a little extra bass, but the whole Denon line is just about at that point (for me) where the quantity starts spoiling music with a good bass line - although that might just have to do with a lack of bass control and quality, even with the D7K.

As for the mids, I can definitely agree that once you get used to more clarity and forwardness in the mids from some other phone the Denon mids seem quite ordinary (even lacking) in comparison.

Hmm...biting nails as I think about if I should buy...

Thanks for the info.

from what i read fx700 is similar to fx500 in the bass region but it is  more controlled at high volumes. in NO way the fx500 has more quantity than the d5000,the d5000 bass is bloated,soft,reverbant and big in quantity but quality is rather poor.
the fx500 bass is as expected will be less than the d5000 bass but it is more organic,natural and with far higher quality.Reverbations are superb,the presentation is slightly dry,soundstage is average to above average,timbre is excellent with the fx500 and is as good as the d5000 and even more sharper with more reverb(better).
mids on both are recessed but of similar tonality,natural and beautiful.from what i read the fx700 mids are better than the fx500 and more forward.the fx500 is detailed but less transparent than the d5000.

overall i think they are quite similar in many areas and if the fx700 fixed the sibilance of fx500 and mids pushed forward,then they will be perfect.But agsin,it really doesnt compete with d5000 when it comes to soundstage,3d presentation,instrment seperation and airness.

hope thats help:)

May 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #468 of 1,764
^^ Indeed, the daylight-like clarity, timbre, and bass reverb are some of the qualities I absolutely miss about the FX500. I just thought they were a bit dry and not as engaging relative to the IE8. The FX700 has been described as FUN. I sure love that description!! I am that headfier that can take fun at the expense of accuracy. I guess that's why I love the IE8.

May 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #469 of 1,764

Quote:
^^ Indeed, the daylight-like clarity, timbre, and bass reverb are some of the qualities I absolutely miss about the FX500. I just thought they were a bit dry and not as engaging relative to the IE8. The FX700 has been described as FUN. I sure love that description!! I am that headfier that can take fun at the expense of accuracy. I guess that's why I love the IE8.

HONEYBOY-
I've seen that comment too about them being 'fun' earphones (meant in the context of not being 'accurate'). But I don't think that's a fair description at all. I would say they are extremely accurate, with the wide soundstage they have, the detail and layering, and the 3D nature of their sound (in fact, I think dfkt even mentioned earlier that they remind him of the best monitors- or something like that). Even the bass reminds me a bit of what I hear out of my home rig's floor standers. I believe that earphones which have a lean bass are the ones which aren't accurate, despite people saying that type of sound is 'tight', or 'fast'.... whatever... don't get me going there.

Instead of solely being 'fun' earphones, I'd say the FX700's are exceedingly engaging, and command your attention because they just accomplish so much sonically. They draw you into the listening experience totally. I've never heard an earphone which has this level of delicacy, layering, detail, and space while having the low end kick and punch they do. It sure makes for one involving, cohesive listening experience. Perhaps it's just more 'headphone-like', as dfkt noted. 

May 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #470 of 1,764
Perhaps that's why they design it to be open can. If you check out the website, there's actually a piece of glass wool behind the wooden driver. It's a pretty intricate and intriguing design. Great sound apart, I do not find the FX very suitable when used for commuting, especially in noisy public buses.

May 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #471 of 1,764

Quote:
Perhaps that's why they design it to be open can. If you check out the website, there's actually a piece of glass wool behind the wooden driver. It's a pretty intricate and intriguing design. Great sound apart, I do not find the FX very suitable when used for commuting, especially in noisy public buses.

Oh I totally agree... they're not very good at noise attenuation. It's the biggest weakness. It does seem the open back helps with the airiness and spaciousness. I had a coworker try them out the other day, and there was also a little bit of sound leakage. I could definitely hear them while he was listening. 

May 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #472 of 1,764

Quote:
Oh I totally agree... they're not very good at noise attenuation. It's the biggest weakness. It does seem the open back helps with the airiness and spaciousness. I had a coworker try them out the other day, and there was also a little bit of sound leakage. I could definitely hear them while he was listening. 

Same here, the first day I got it I let my friend tried it out. And I could hear sound leakage, but when I am listening, I do not play at a volume that's that loud. I have asked people around me quite a few times, whether they hear anything, but all of them said nay. I'd assume you have to blast it pretty hard to be able to hear it outside.

May 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #473 of 1,764
Hey cn11 Thanks for the clarification!!! Actually, I agree with you in that a lot of phones that are lean in the bass are described as accurate around these circles. All I'll say is that I have never been to a live concert/performance with lean bass in my life. These FX700 sure sound promising. Even the very factor that they don't isolate so well is a positive for me! The headfier in me is telling me to buy them now but I'll be able to test them in Osaka next week. I now have to go through a headfier's worst ordeal: Waiting!

May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #474 of 1,764

Quote:

from what i read fx700 is similar to fx500 in the bass region but it is  more controlled at high volumes. in NO way the fx500 has more quantity than the d5000,the d5000 bass is bloated,soft,reverbant and big in quantity but quality is rather poor.
the fx500 bass is as expected will be less than the d5000 bass but it is more organic,natural and with far higher quality.Reverbations are superb,the presentation is slightly dry,soundstage is average to above average,timbre is excellent with the fx500 and is as good as the d5000 and even more sharper with more reverb(better).
mids on both are recessed but of similar tonality,natural and beautiful.from what i read the fx700 mids are better than the fx500 and more forward.the fx500 is detailed but less transparent than the d5000.

overall i think they are quite similar in many areas and if the fx700 fixed the sibilance of fx500 and mids pushed forward,then they will be perfect.But agsin,it really doesnt compete with d5000 when it comes to soundstage,3d presentation,instrment seperation and airness.

hope thats help:)

midoo, did I missed something? He asked about the FX700 and the D2000. I didn't see him ask to compare the FX700 with the D5000. I haven't heard the D5000, so I can't begin to compare those two anyway. I've heard the FX700 and the D2000 (owned both), so I could make the comparison. Now, how can you say the FX700 doesn't compete with the D5000 if you haven't heard the FX700? Reading about an IEM is one thing, but actually hearing both to compare is totally different. Now, if I misread and you have heard both, please forgive me. But you post gave the impression that you're saying something doesn't compare based on what  you read. I don't think that's fair, although perhaps you're right and the D5000s do sound better than the FX700. I just don't know how you can say that, however, without listening to both, and where did the D5000 come up in this thread to lead you to make these assertions? Not fussing at you buddy..lol, but you have confused me. So?????

May 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #475 of 1,764
For anyone who wants to know about the warranty on this item.

"All products comes with 1 year manufacturer warranty." from the Seyo shop. You can read it on Terms & Conditions. The warranty covers the products issues and not the issues given out by the consumer towards the product.

May 14, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #476 of 1,764
@eric: I think he was comparing the FX500 to the D500 and not the FX700. At least that's what I got from that post.

May 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #477 of 1,764

Quote:

midoo, did I missed something? He asked about the FX700 and the D2000. I didn't see him ask to compare the FX700 with the D5000. I haven't heard the D5000, so I can't begin to compare those two anyway. I've heard the FX700 and the D2000 (owned both), so I could make the comparison. Now, how can you say the FX700 doesn't compete with the D5000 if you haven't heard the FX700? Reading about an IEM is one thing, but actually hearing both to compare is totally different. Now, if I misread and you have heard both, please forgive me. But you post gave the impression that you're saying something doesn't compare based on what  you read. I don't think that's fair, although perhaps you're right and the D5000s do sound better than the FX700. I just don't know how you can say that, however, without listening to both, and where did the D5000 come up in this thread to lead you to make these assertions? Not fussing at you buddy..lol, but you have confused me. So?????

chill man,i didnt attack your post in anyway,i didnt even quoted you.you clearly read only the first sentence of my post and left the entire post to attack me.
i was comparing d5000 to fx500 not 700.i saw in his sig. that he has d5000 and d7000 so i wanted to assist him if he was considering that phone.As far as i know and from headfiers that have both the fx700 and fx500(which i trust their opinions very much) said that fx700 cured the mids of fx500 and pushed it forward and killed the sibilance and bass is more controlled at higher volumes.but bass quality and quantity are the same.
Infact you have no right to complain because my previous post praised fx500/fx700,but i will say it again.in some areas like soundstage,pinpoint imaging,airness,instrument seperation,3d presentation,bass quantity... the fx500 obviously CANT COMPETE with d5000 or any other headphone at the $400 price range.
D5000 is not the best headphone i have heard,infact they are the worst.
Dont lecture me please(a.k.a the bolded part) because i know that well and i give that advice to many headfiers here,i am not talking about reading about sennheiser and commenting on grado! they are both jvc and have the sam nice quality but the latter fixes the mids problem,sibilance and make the bass more controlled at high volumes so it is a fair comparison.

And if you are not fussing about it,then i dont know what you are doing
confused_face(1).gif

May 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #478 of 1,764

Quote:

chill man,i didnt attack your post in anyway,i didnt even quoted you.you clearly read only the first sentence of my post and left the entire post to attack me.
i was comparing d5000 to fx500 not 700.i saw in his sig. that he has d5000 and d7000 so i wanted to assist him if he was considering that phone.As far as i know and from headfiers that have both the fx700 and fx500(which i trust their opinions very much) said that fx700 cured the mids of fx500 and pushed it forward and killed the sibilance and bass is more controlled at higher volumes.but bass quality and quantity are the same.
Infact you have no right to complain because my previous post praised fx500/fx700,but i will say it again.in some areas like soundstage,pinpoint imaging,airness,instrument seperation,3d presentation,bass quantity... the fx500 obviously CANT COMPETE with d5000 or any other headphone at the $400 price range.
D5000 is not the best headphone i have heard,infact they are the worst.
Dont lecture me please(a.k.a the bolded part) because i know that well and i give that advice to many headfiers here,i am not talking about reading about sennheiser and commenting on grado! they are both jvc and have the sam nice quality but the latter fixes the mids problem,sibilance and make the bass more controlled at high volumes so it is a fair comparison.

And if you are not fussing about it,then i dont know what you are doing
confused_face(1).gif

lol @ midoo... Sorry you feel like I attacked you. I specifically asked in the first three sentences "did I miss something?..."  "I didn't see him ask to compare the FX700 with the D5000...."  But anyway...  we'll leave it there. My apologies if you felt I attacked you. Happy listening!!

May 14, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #479 of 1,764
no problem mate,just the many question marks in your post made me mad
bigsmile_face.gif
.sorry if i came harsh onyou, you are still my buddy
beerchug.gif

i am waiting for your impressions on radius.

May 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #480 of 1,764
We're definitely okay @ midoo. I'm too looking forward to my impressions on the DDM. Soon I hope.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back