JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 28, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #361 of 1,764
Okay, another key question I don't believe has been asked / answered... How're the Victors at high volume? As stupid as you may think I am, I tend to listen to my music at near to max volume on my iPhone... The Coppers are perfect for this, as it is at higher volumes that they come alive (IMO - don't risk your hearing folks!), anyways, do the Victors retain dignity where ever you may be on the volume scale, or do they lose coherency / gain sbilance etc when cranked up?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #362 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ hey ericp buddy,intresting observations and at 4am in the morning too, gee when do you americans sleep , you all seem to be online typing away at your pc 24hrs a day .lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Intreasting you saying that the fx700 does not shine with electric guitars so well ,and not so good with deep voices , so i dont think my waylon jennings vocals would sound right on them ,can you test a couple of his tracks on them please buddy.

Oh and i understand they are open iems so dont isolate so well, so can you hear street noises when your wearing them outside? and do they leak sound?

I thought about getting these but have not done so yet , i did order a new iem the other day though ,and am waiting for it to arrive
ksc75smile.gif

What did you order @ luco? You know, in all fairness to the FX700, I have gotten 40 hours on them yet. They just sounded so good out of the box, but they still more time to open up. They do handle guitars well, but I just don't think it would be your sound sig based on previous posts from you (you even have reservations about the MDs). It does all instruments well, but not a electric guitar focused iem (I think the Copper is). To me, it shines most on non-electrified instruments, but again, doesn't mean it the electric ones sound shabby. Also, deep vocals are sounding better the more I listen, but again some iems do that better. But the naturalness of the human voice is on another level, and clarity. Sometimes when you say one earphone does something better than another one, some readers think you're shooting down one iem that you once said was a favorite. I'm not doing that at all. All iems have their strengths and weaknesses, especially top tier phones.

Again, I need more time FX700 time.. I don't know about isolation yet on public transportation. about to try that in a couple of hours.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #363 of 1,764
@ ericp ,well keep me posted on how yor getting on with the fx700 buddy , and try some waylon on them sometime, he has quite a deep voice ,which can get coloured if there is too much upper mid bass ,like on the ie8.

Ive ordered the earsonics sm3 buddy ,though id beat you to that one
wink_face.gif
, i have search to blame for getting me intrested in that one lol

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #366 of 1,764
lol @ rawrster and luco.... Well, the SM3 sounds nice but doesn't seem like it would be my sound signature @ luco. Plus, No matter how good a IEM is - unless I go custom - will i shell out too much more than $300 for it. So, I think I'm pretty safe for a good while on top tier with the MD, Orto and now the FX700. Only thing could shake me is if a drastic improvement was made by Orto on the e-Q7, and I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. And price restraints would still preclude me from that purchase if it was much over $300. But I will live through you on the SM3 @ luco.. Can't wait to read your first impressions buddy... Happy listening!!

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #367 of 1,764
The only times I have issues with that is if I have sony hybrids on them or if it is source issues. My next purchase will be under $200 so I'm good
smily_headphones1.gif

Although back on topic..eric I would be quite surprised if the isolation of these would do well outside unless your public transportation is not very loud.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #368 of 1,764
I'm wondering, how does the fx700 handle wind noise? And exactly how poor is the isolation relative to other IEMs? Would you take it on the bus for instance? I'm just asking because it seems like (to a casual observer, not an owner) the large vent hole in the back gives you bad noise isolation and also would make you subject to rather nasty wind noise.

Apr 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #369 of 1,764
^ Thankfully wind noise is no big problem, provided you wear them over-ear. Thus the corpus sits almost flush and parallel to your ear with the vent hole inside the pinna. Isolation however is rather low, bus and tram are ok, but subway is an absolute no-no.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #370 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, another key question I don't believe has been asked / answered... How're the Victors at high volume? As stupid as you may think I am, I tend to listen to my music at near to max volume on my iPhone... The Coppers are perfect for this, as it is at higher volumes that they come alive (IMO - don't risk your hearing folks!), anyways, do the Victors retain dignity where ever you may be on the volume scale, or do they lose coherency / gain sbilance etc when cranked up?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow you do like to crank it! I like to listen at a healthy volume sometimes too. Thankfully the FX700's can handle hugely dynamic stuff with ease. I have never heard them get sloppy or confused by big swings in range, but with that said, I do get a slight treble edge sometimes. I think everyone knows though that I'm rather averse to harsh highs, and I will reject an earphone right away if it's too much that way. I don't think these are anywhere near as harsh as the FX500's because on most of my treble edge test tracks they're always way more tolerable than how I remember the 500's. And the highs are so detailed and nice that it really doesn't bother me that much. They are nowhere near as smooth and mellow as the Sennheiser IE8's though. But I'm glad they're not because that would make them too dark of an IEM.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #371 of 1,764
Agrees with James. I haven't been on a subway with FX700, but just had my first bus and outside trip with these iems. Good news and bad news. The good news is that without turning it up on a high volume, the lushness of the bass, mids and treble still shine through the FX700. I still could hear ever detail clearly, of course it's even better in a quiet setting. The bad news is that while outside noises don't interfere with sound quality of the music, exterior noises are intrusive. So, I could hear the announcements of bus stops and people chatting, albeit vaguely. So these are not a good iem for someone needing or desiring absolute isolation. Funny thing is that although I could hear outside noises through the vents in the back, I didn't get the impression that anyone could hear my music. I had the volume neither low or high. I took one phone out of my ear canal and put the vented end near my ear to see if I could hear sound, and nothing. But the FX700 definitely allows sound in. By the way, I'm using large Monster hybrid foams for tips and ear canal isolation.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #372 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thankfully wind noise is no big problem, provided you wear them over-ear. Thus the corpus sits almost flush and parallel to your ear with the vent hole inside the pinna. Isolation however is rather low, bus and tram are ok, but subway is an absolute no-no.

Thanks for the reply. Now we just have to wonder how long it'll be until dfkt gets his hands on your pair.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back