JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #436 of 3,142
Well - I did it. I bought a backup pair. Thanks for pushing me over the edge, WilCox
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #437 of 3,142
Hi audioholik,

As you say, the logo is different and also, in the picture you posted, it's clear that this amp has the tubes in front of the transformers, while the Darkvoice 337 has them between the transformers:

Darkvoice earphone amplifier THA 336 332 337 FIGARO Liangyinfang Workroom

I'm very interested in this amp used for the advertising, also in knowing if it fits this cans. Please, let us know what JVC answer you.

Cheers

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #438 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well - I did it. I bought a backup pair. Thanks for pushing me over the edge, WilCox
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Congrats, Skylab! Well, when you're asked how you like them, all you have to do is say that you have a backup pair. It will shorten your posts significantly!
biggrin.gif

Way to go, man! I'd get another pair right now, if I could. Hopefully...

Cheers

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #439 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitoridekimasu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi audioholik,

As you say, the logo is different and also, in the picture you posted, it's clear that this amp has the tubes in front of the transformers, while the Darkvoice 337 has them between the transformers:

Darkvoice earphone amplifier THA 336 332 337 FIGARO Liangyinfang Workroom

I'm very interested in this amp used for the advertising, also in knowing if it fits this cans. Please, let us know what JVC answer you.

Cheers

Hello,

I've just received the message from jvc-victor.jp and the answer is................... McIntosh
cool.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #440 of 3,142
Quote:

biggrin.gif

It will be interesting to see if the sound differs with your new set. I remember something about the R10s having two versions released over their lifespan, one with more bass and the other with less.....

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #442 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could afford it, I'd buy a second set of these in a heartbeat! I come to headphones from a fairly extreme DIY horn speaker/transmitting triode/vinyl background. These are the first set of headphones I've owned (I have Senn 600s, RS-1s, and K-1000s) that I'm actually exited about. Over the years, I"ve built about 20 tube amps, including the big GM70 K-1000 amp pictured in the "Mayberry on Acid" meet thread. But when I got the DX1000 I had to build one more. My approach was to go all low gain directly heated triodes, using a 112a gain stage directly coupled into a transformer loaded 71a power amp. Not much gain,but not much needed. the DX1000 are very sensitive. There"s a picture of this amp and its power supply "twin" on the HeadRoom forum in the "HeadRoom in Los Angeles" thread. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera, so no pictures of my own. I'll bring this amp and the DX1000 to the 2009 L.A. International. Be interested to see what you all think! Please excuse my awkward typing and forum use.

Hi, Frank! We met at Al's place in Mayberry. I was among the crowd of observers who were literally blown away by that amp you made for the K 1000's. (Ok, well not literally!)

In any case, it's good to se that you're posting here. Don't be shy, man. You've got a ton of experience to share. You should become a regular in the DIY forum. I'm sure you would find some kindred spirits there.

Oh, and concerning your awkward typing, no worries there at all. I've found that the use of white space helps. So I hit the return/enter key to start a new paragraph every now and then whether I think I need to or not.

But you don't need to hit that key at the end of every line! The system is set up to word wrap for you, so just keep typing until it's time for a new paragraph, and then bang on that key.
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #443 of 3,142
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Ehhh! If you snooze, you lose! I'm just at that point where saving $100 off of the Price Japan price would push me over the edge as well. It's alway easier to justify buying something your don't need if you get a "deal" on it! Oh well, maybe I'll grab the next pair that comes up.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #444 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ehhh! If you snooze, you lose! I'm just at that point where saving $100 off of the Price Japan price would push me over the edge as well. It's alway easier to justify buying something your don't need if you get a "deal" on it! Oh well, maybe I'll grab the next pair that comes up.

I suggest you buy now as the sudden uplift of the dollar is only temporary.
(The calm before the storm).

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #445 of 3,142
Oh, and speaking (not so strictly) of DIY, the driver part # is J34469-001, just in case anyone has a need to know, and JVC will now actually have a way of ordering them via support. No pricing yet, but that should come shortly, and the process completed in 3 weeks or so.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #446 of 3,142
I got my DX1000 (#0798) just some days ago. Having gone through alot of headphones before i actually didnt want to get another pair without pre-listening but that turned out to be impossible with this pair of headphones.

Some impressions after the first hours of listening (no burn in, through DAC1)

The good:

Very good resolution, layers are cleary seperated and details deep in the mix well resolved (better than W5000 and Stax 4040).

Great bass, it's boosted but very controlled, contured, and detailed (grrrrowl).

Acceptable sound through portable players, but beware of crappy mp3s.

The so-so:

The mid coloration, when it hits, sounds a bit strange but not as annoying as other headphones colorations.

The sound is a bit closed mainly due to frequency roll off above 10khz, this is also minor and you get used to the presentation. However it has enough presence so it's not really dark sounding. It just gives a closed in feel (opposite: airy)

Transparency and detail are above average but there's other headphones that do it better (W5000, Stax 404 and above)

More space around instruments/layers would be appreciated

The bad:

nothing, maybe the price is a bit high for the delivered value but thats to be expected when importing

Other stuff i noticed: The DX1000 varies with fit. To reduce the mid coloration you need to the drivers closer to your ears. Wearing in the pads should also play a role in this. This however is subtle compared to other problematic headphones like the W5000.

Added: I just did some DBT sessions in foobar and it's extremly easy to hear mp3/aac artifacts even with higher rates (256kbps, at 320kpbs it gets harder). And that was with my notebooks onboard sound.
Listening to uncompressed music everything has alot more clarity, even 256kbps aac encodings smear transients audibly on this headphone.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #448 of 3,142
It's between the vocals presence and body, both are right there but sometimes, inbetween, something is missing. Towards the lower mids, i guess there's a dip around 250-350 hz.

If you isolate only the vocals, you think of it (greatly exaggerated!!) as "boomy vocals" if that makes sense. The vocal range is tuned to have emphasized bass and presence like some other headphones are tuned to have emphasized bass and treble. Maybe that helps you listening for it.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #449 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the ONLY person that has yet to notice *anything* going-on funny with the mids....
confused_face_2.gif

Silverrain, in my experience, the DX1000 sounds more lifelike than the more "neutral" cans I've used, the HD650 and the D5000. The difference is much like that between the experience of sound in real-world contexts, with voices and music mixed with some of the reflections you get from hard walls, and the dead-quiet of a studio where no hard surfaces are present. The DX1000 injects that bit of hard-wall reflection into the mid-range (in a very cleverly controlled manner). The payoff: You're less likely to feel that you're listening to dialogue and music through headphones. It mimics more closely the way you experience sound in real-life situations. When I listen through those more neutral phones, I find it much harder to forget that I'm having a really good headphone experience. With the DX1000, the sonic experience is so immersive that I often think I've forgotten to turn off my speakers! "Now, that must be my phone ringing! It's clearly ringing in my living room." Then somebody picks up the phone in the movie. That's the kind of illusion I often get. Space is simply more real through the DX1000.

Maybe that's why you won't notice the mid-range coloration unless you A/B it against flatter-sounding, acoustically-treated-room-sounding cans. And, if you do A/B it, and if sheer realism is a priority with you, I bet you will prefer the DX1000 every time.

beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #450 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But when I got the DX1000 I had to build one more. My approach was to go all low gain directly heated triodes, using a 112a gain stage directly coupled into a transformer loaded 71a power amp. Not much gain, but not much needed. the DX1000 are very sensitive. There"s a picture of this amp and its power supply "twin" on the HeadRoom forum in the "HeadRoom in Los Angeles" thread.

360149963_LVVxD-L.jpg

amp looks very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back