JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 29, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #2,701 of 3,142
Bit late reply:

- IME, the TH-900 headband (which is very similar to the Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 headband) fits looser than the DX1000 for me. I'm not sure such a swap would be an improvement. A Beyer (like the T70 or DT770) would grip much better, but I think the yolks are too small for the DX1000 cups. Has anyone ever asked Headphile about this kind of modification?

- ~$650 is a great price; I bought mine from "Premium Japan" on Amazon and they arrived quickly and well packaged. I've had good luck with AudioCubes in the past for other purchases, but recently it looks like they've re-structured the kind of products they sell.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #2,702 of 3,142
Bit late reply:

IME, the TH-900 headband (which is very similar to the Denon AH-D2000/5000/7000 headband) fits looser than the DX1000 for me. I'm not sure such a swap would be an improvement. A Beyer (like the T70 or DT770) would grip much better, but I think the yolks are too small for the DX1000 cups. Has anyone ever asked Headphile about this kind of modification?

The point of the mod is just to solve the breaking plastic and cracking paint. To add durability from a metal headband that also doesn't require any modifications to fit.

Since I don't actually find any of those 3 (DX1000, DX00, THXX) headbands terribly comfortable or uncomfortable I was more so focused on fixing the durability of the stock one with a replacement that didn't raise any issues. The Denon D7000 headband is even the matching champagne colour!

To address comfort I also thought about the Ether headband, which I find to be I've of the best out there right now. Unfortunately when I contacted Dan about it I wasn't able to get one from him. I can understand whatever his hesitation, it's just too bad as it would have been an amazing combo and made the headphones a real set of keepers.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,703 of 3,142
These are strange headphones. I recently bought T5p. I like those...Then I got a pair of cheaper headphones that could challenge t5p with mods. I got in deep how these new headphoens compare to t5p. Then I put on dx1000.... "insert that perverted smiley here" :D

I mean...I have been a dx1000 owner for years. Always looking for a bit more clarity, defination in sound. But it might well be that dx1000 is just perfect for me. I like t5p, but compared to dx1000...yeah, you know :)

I always make dx1000 to face other headphones. It is starting to seem that dx1000 are the best headphones in the world. Being objective, propably not. But after so many comparisons I'm not so sure if I would like anything better. :)

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,705 of 3,142
  These are strange headphones. I recently bought T5p. I like those...Then I got a pair of cheaper headphones that could challenge t5p with mods. I got in deep how these new headphoens compare to t5p. Then I put on dx1000.... "insert that perverted smiley here" :D

I mean...I have been a dx1000 owner for years. Always looking for a bit more clarity, defination in sound. But it might well be that dx1000 is just perfect for me. I like t5p, but compared to dx1000...yeah, you know :)

I always make dx1000 to face other headphones. It is starting to seem that dx1000 are the best headphones in the world. Being objective, propably not. But after so many comparisons I'm not so sure if I would like anything better. :)

Yep. I sold mine and immediately wished I hadn't. Which is why I have them again.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #2,706 of 3,142
  'Good' morning guys,

This is what l woke up today to:

See the mark next to ther 'R'? l don't know what to think about it. So far, it just seems as if the paint came off a bit but... given the JVCs reputation for breaking in this area, l am suspicious. 

l bought my pair in April 2015 while on holidays in Japan. l have used them, but not that much. l'm a careful person (especially with these 
wink.gif
).

l gave them a comfy home (pict attach below). l always placed them on my head carefully (to let them sit there until the listening was over). Always aligned the earcups with the headband before placing them on my head. l even introduced them to that little friend you can see in the picture! l mean, seriously, l don't know what else l could've done to be more careful. And then, this happens... 

Do you think it's the beginning of a broken pair? l hope l don't have to see myself gluing them together (thus destroying their aesthetics).  

Anyway... "C'est la vie"...  

(Sorry for the pictures' quality. l wasn't in the mood to take out the camera
frown.gif
). 

l think (well, l thought...) this HP stand is perfect for the JVC as it lets them rest without being in tension. 

And yes, for those of you who wonder, the little animal is also very sad 
frown.gif
 Although he said his star will protect the D1K...

Yes, i have a crack like that on the inside. I got the crack years and years ago, maybe around 2009. I pulled it open slightly and put in a little super glue and pushed it together, never bothered me again. It is not visible when wearing and i never pull from the cups. Nothing to really worry about, i tried to get the part but it proved impossible. Really just doesn't matter though, eight and a half years of periodic use as i rotate phones.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #2,707 of 3,142
  Yes, i have a crack like that on the inside. I got the crack years and years ago, maybe around 2009. I pulled it open slightly and put in a little super glue and pushed it together, never bothered me again. It is not visible when wearing and i never pull from the cups. Nothing to really worry about, i tried to get the part but it proved impossible. Really just doesn't matter though, eight and a half years of periodic use as i rotate phones.

Great, good to know! Thank you! 

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #2,709 of 3,142
  Just received mine from Japan. One side is pumping more way more volume then the other :frowning2:

Anyone else had this?

You mean one side is way louder than the other? Jesus, how unfortunate! Have you checked trying different sources/amps (or that the 'balance' is 'zero' in your software? (although l guess you only have this problem with the JVCs and not other HPs...).

l'm sorry to hear that! We are so excited when we get a new HP... What a disappointment!

l hope you can sort it out... 

Good luck! 

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,710 of 3,142

You mean one side is way louder than the other? Jesus, how unfortunate! Have you checked trying different sources/amps (or that the 'balance' is 'zero' in your software? (although l guess you only have this problem with the JVCs and not other HPs...).

l'm sorry to hear that! We are so excited when we get a new HP... What a disappointment!

l hope you can sort it out... 

Good luck! 

Hopefully they can be fixed somehow or you get the magic issue I got with my LCD-2s. Twice in a span of more then 3 years between them I got an insane channel imbalance with left a lot weaker. In both occasions no matter what cable or source switching I would do,  it would stay the same but over a nights sleep it would auto correct itself. 

usully with a cheap spl metre they measure within 0,5 db on average at least. I am not doing super professional readings though  I just have a cheap db metre not a dummyhead but there is for sure no big channel imbalance.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,711 of 3,142
Sounds really flat and getting about 10% sound vs the working side. From what i can hear through the working side though, lovely sound even before "burn in".

Only tried through my zxr so far, will buy a 3.5mm adaptor tomorrow so i can test it through another source.

Cheers guys

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #2,712 of 3,142
  Sounds really flat and getting about 10% sound vs the working side. From what i can hear through the working side though, lovely sound even before "burn in".

Only tried through my zxr so far, will buy a 3.5mm adaptor tomorrow so i can test it through another source.

Cheers guys

Yikes. If it's not your sound card, you should contact whoever sold them to you. Hopefully you went through Amazon so they have to replace them.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #2,713 of 3,142
Yikes. If it's not your sound card, you should contact whoever sold them to you. Hopefully you went through Amazon so they have to replace them.

So is it generally safe to get the DX1000 from an Amazon seller in Japan?

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,715 of 3,142
If they have a bunch of good reviews, yeah.

I buy my stuff from Universal Japan / ujack if he has it because he's proven reliable.

Ok, good to know, thanks. After you told me to consider the DX1000 as a TH-600 replacement, I can't get it out of my head. Even after getting the NightHawk. I've yet to find cans that have authoritative bass, natural mids, and smooth / slightly rolled-off treble that also has a big enough sound stage. TH-600 misses 2 of 4 (mids, treble), HD650 is missing 1 (bass), and so is the NH (sound stage). I need to try these JVC so I can know for sure if it fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back