JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 11, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,671 of 3,142
How hard is it to replace the headband? My biggest fear is getting that headband joint failure some is getting. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,672 of 3,142
You could...

- Stuff paper towel rings under the pads to make them protrude more.
- Reduce the extension of the cups
- Swivel the cups before spreading the headband so they kinda lock in place.
- Replace the pads with Audeze pads (they're thicker).
- Add a Sennheiser HD600 headband pad. Tightens them a little.
- Go nuclear and replace the headband. Maybe a Fostex/Denon headband and attach the JVC cups.

Thank you. Some great ideas there. I actually have an HD600 pad/metal insert that I never used.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #2,674 of 3,142
Trying to think of my next headphone upgrade from the TH-X00s. The DX1000s seemed like a good candidate but it sounds like there are some mixed opinions on the bass, specifically that it might have less impact than the X00s and I do like impact. But the DX1000 sounds like it is better in euphoric sound (has me the most intrigued), deep bass, isolation, and more tamed treble. As someone who mostly listens to french house and various other electronic genres, would this be a clear upgrade or should I look elsewhere?

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,675 of 3,142
Hey Thekorsen,

l had no idea of what 'French house' music was like until just now. l have listened to the first 'song' (theme?) and a bit of the second one of the attached youtube video.

l listened to the TH-600/900s for a long time while l stayed in Japan. ln case the aforementioned HPs sound similar to the TH-X00, l would suggest you to get the JVCs. In any case, l consider the JVCs to be a special HP, always worth having.

Based on my memory/short experience with the TH-600/900s, l'd say the D-1k will give you a smoother treble experience for your music, perhaps more present vocals and larger soundstage. 

Now, let me add something else: the moment the 2nd song started (and bass started to hit)... OMG, l though "He better gets the JVCs anytime soon" 
L3000.gif
 As l said once somewhere on this forum, the JVC's bass have an ability that l haven't found in any other HP: it just sort of envelopes the music. lt's like it's everywhere, but it has absolutely nothing to do with being bloated.

My two cents :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #2,676 of 3,142
The DX1000 is a more "accurate"(?) headphone. Its more evenly balanced tonally. Mids are more up front but not bright. When bass is on the track,no matter how deep, the DX DELIVERS but with no overhang, bloat or bloom. The THX00 slightly basses-up everything.
The DX has a large soundstage and can really get kinda trippy on electronic music that has things panning around in there. Great phone the DX!

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,677 of 3,142
  Trying to think of my next headphone upgrade from the TH-X00s. The DX1000s seemed like a good candidate but it sounds like there are some mixed opinions on the bass, specifically that it might have less impact than the X00s and I do like impact. But the DX1000 sounds like it is better in euphoric sound (has me the most intrigued), deep bass, isolation, and more tamed treble. As someone who mostly listens to french house and various other electronic genres, would this be a clear upgrade or should I look elsewhere?

Howdy. The people who said the TH-X00 have more bass impact than the DX1000 are completely wrong.

Stock tuned, the DX1000 hits harder than the TH-X00/600/900. With amping and bass boost, the Fostex cans can hit harder than the JVC HP-DX1000 can. Its pads are too plush and its driver will give up before their drivers do volume-wise (it can still damage your hearing without giving up, mind you, it just won't do as well in a paper test).

Compared to the TH-X00, the DX1000:
  1. Has more bass impact and equivalent depth to the TH-X00
  2. Has a more euphoric and full presentation
  3. Has much smoother treble (no peaks) or sibilance
  4. Has good (not great) isolation vs. the TH-X00's mediocre isolation
  5. Has less bass potential if you amp and EQ heavily

In my opinion, this is the only real upgrade to the Fostex TH/Denon D series if you're a basshead. For me in particular, I couldn't handle the treble of the Fostex. If you are having a rough go of it with the treble on the TH-X00, be aware that it has less treble than all of the other Denon D/Fostex TH options. Your ears will bleed with the TH900.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,678 of 3,142
  Good Stuff.

Good Stuff.

Good Stuff.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Before discovering the DX1000s I was in a deadlock between the Alpha Primes (with heavy EQing), the TH900s, and the LCD2.2s. They all had great parts to them but none of them checked all my boxes like the the DX1000 seems to. Now I think I'll be joining your ranks once the cash finally finds it's way into my burn on fun account. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,680 of 3,142
Darn you luckbad, every time I see a thx00 to dx1000 comparison from you I get so close to ordering them. Only reason I haven't yet is because they are discontinued, and I something gives out on them.... I'm screwed lol.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2,682 of 3,142
Is this better for EDM, hiphop, Top 40 or TH-X00?..

Depends on your preferences. Both do it well.

If you are cool with emphasized treble, the TH-X00 really is solid. The sound is slightly thinner, but it's still very good.

While my ears prefer the JVC HP-DX1000 to the Fostex TH-X00, the Fostex is a better value, is less ridiculous looking on your head, and serves the common v-shaped crowd much better (yes, it's smoother than the other Fostex cans, but it's still got a v or u).

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,684 of 3,142
Has anyone reterminated their JVC HP-DX1000 with balanced XLR? Trying to be sure the wiring is colored and straightforward before I reterminate mine.

I had somebody else do it but I would just assume it´s colored? "Hammer65" at minhembio.com forum did mine if you would want to do some detective work. 

I can´t say I feel it make a world of difference on these versus single ended but it´s hard to compare since my balanced amp does sound better in balanced mode so I have to connect them through a separate amplifier to make a more fair comparison. 

As for this versus the X00 everybody should try the DX 1000 but they are not absolutely totally different. A few less DB in the bass regions on the DX 1000 make it sound more balanced to me. Still sound just as full. Still big bass but no bloat. The soundstaging is proportionally bigger as it´s a bigger headphone with drivers further away.

The only thing I don´t get any piercing treble out of my X00 anymore then my DX 1000 at the SPL I am generally listening to. But then I don´t think my ears are all that sensitive to treble in general and I try not to listen to to high SPL levels I have zero ear fatigue with either headphone. When the X00 is not overcome with bass it actually has a nice mid range. Silky smooth liquid like nothing I ever heard before versus euphonic. The DX 1000 have something in the mid range and then the bass that really helps out but don´t get in the way that just make you go aaaaawwwg.. Try the Gladiator Soundtrack it´s built for the DX 1000. 

Still it´s special I once sold my DX 1000 because I got in my head it was to coloured  but thank you headphone guru out there (not religious) I bought it again. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2,685 of 3,142
Thanks man.

RE: Bass on the TH-X00 vs. HP-DX1000:

I'm still surprised by the commentary that the Fostex has more bass than the JVC.

I have both here right now.

The Fostex upper bass goes a little higher, but low and sub-bass is stronger on the JVC.

I was just at a meet yesterday and some noisy meet-condition measurements were taken.

Measurements on the same rig bear my subjective impressions out.

The bass is objectively more pronounced on the JVC below 250 Hz and the treble is lower.

I'll try to get the frequency response graphs.

Important note: the sub-bass was really rolled off in one measurement. We made sure it got a good seal on the next measurement and the bass went up by about 10 dB.

Make sure you get a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back