JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Sep 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,281 of 3,142
  hi all,

I received my DX1000 3 weeks ago now, I've had about 20 hours on them. I've paired them with 4 amps, yes four turned up to maximum on high gain. But I still feel it needs more amping. I can feel the bass so much though that the air pressure is making the headphones vibrate like mad. I listen to music at extremely loud level.

I thought these headphones would be easy to drive but they actually need a few powerful amps to drive them.

you don´t need a lot of power

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,283 of 3,142
No need to buy a new amp. If you continue to listen that loudly you won't be able to hear well very soon anyway.

His hearing is already diminished, evidenced by his higher output amp requirement.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,284 of 3,142
DX1000 is easy to drive. No power needed. One of the best amps I had with DX1000 was XIANG SHENG DAC-01 a,Cheap ass amp... UNtil I went with beyerdynamic it became obvious that my amp had not been that good. While I did thtat I had DX1000 on the background. I asked something to be uprgrade from HD600. "More bass, more detaiiled bass,  more soundstage," DX1000 fulfilled.  I have never heard hd650 but to my  ears dx1000 is someething fans of hd600 hoped for and  they got hd800.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,285 of 3,142
Exclude all that I said While I was drunk. Anyway.... The amp I recommended, DAC-01a is on par with schiit vali. Vali has tighter bass but besides that I could not tell a difference. If there were an Xiang Sheng amp with crossfeed I would keep these.

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,286 of 3,142
A few days ago the plastic pieces that maintain the cup with head band broke.
It had been long time coming as I remember the crackle appearing 1 or 2 years ago.

I could fix it removing the screws,gluing the plastic piece, and adding back the screws.
For now it seems to be OK although it isn't looking nice.

On the other side, plastic is also crackling although it didn't break yet:

I really love my dx-1000 and cannot imagine the day it is totally broken.
Does anyone has ever replaced the headband + fixations with a custom one (or just the fixation) ?

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,287 of 3,142
A few days ago the plastic pieces that maintain the cup with head band broke.
It had been long time coming as I remember the crackle appearing 1 or 2 years ago.

I could fix it removing the screws,gluing the plastic piece, and adding back the screws.
For now it seems to be OK although it isn't looking nice.

I guess that, if you wanted to, you certainly ask someone to model it then 3print a pair.

Or, and perhaps even better yet, you could go machine a pair out of aluminium...

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #2,289 of 3,142
Have one inbound to arrive Friday...............looking forward to being a member of this pretty exclusive group. 

I'm a huge Denon fan so these seem compatible with my preferences.............comfort, wood cups and BASS a plenty. 

More to come once I put them on my noggin..............

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,290 of 3,142
  Have one inbound to arrive Friday...............looking forward to being a member of this pretty exclusive group. 

I'm a huge Denon fan so these seem compatible with my preferences.............comfort, wood cups and BASS a plenty. 

More to come once I put them on my noggin..............

You are in for a treat. Unusual headphones that have stood the test of time. Never FOTW. Be prepared for the size though, a real shocker.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,291 of 3,142
Got them yesterday and yes, they are not small but they also are very light and incredibly comfortable.

Isolates very well, which I was after to be able to listen to some decent volume while my wife reads without bothering her. So a big plus right off the bat.

Bass........wow. How to convey the literal thump I'm feeling/hearing and massage my ears are getting with these? Impressive. It feels like they are bouncing around and moving on my head (which they certainly are not). Never had this sensation before.

Nice tonality as well.

By the way, my first hour listening is out of a vintage Pioneer integrated amp, the SA-7500 MKII. Here they are next to their new neighbors.......

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,292 of 3,142
Well, quite a performer this headphone is fed by my vintage Pioneer Spec system.

Can honestly say now the bass these put out has no equal that I have heard, and it's clean and tight.

Listened to the new Pink Floyd CD, Endless River............and hit play again. The music is great and the sound out of these is mesmerizing.

Thanks to Skylab and those who blazed this headphones' path, as they really are special.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,293 of 3,142
Swapped out that fire hose of a cable for a Q French Silk 4' model.................work done by Brian at BTG Audio.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,294 of 3,142
Notice any sonic shift?

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #2,295 of 3,142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back