JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #736 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, seriously, I'd strongly recommend against inflicting a low quality amp/source on these phones. They are brutal! Those looking for phones for their iPod need not apply.

beerchug.gif

Thats not my experience at all. They sound excellnt through my sony dap too. Ofcourse my cs hedd -> phonitor chain is something different but the dx1000 is absolutely enjoyable unamped and shows just as much detail, badly encoded mp3s become obvious easily. The usual things as soundstage, bass control and impact, clarity etc leave a bit to be desired but they're absolutely listenable unamped.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #737 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
Interesting can, probably too idiosyncratic for the price, seems like many are dumping them after month or so of ownership.

I too would like to see even one tiny bit of evidence for this statement.

I am a tiny bit of evidence, although certainly not 'many'. I dumped 'em
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #738 of 3,142
Does anybody know about a headband foam from another can which is suitable for the DX1000? I am thinking of upgrading the headband, with better padding, and to wrap it in real and nice soft leather, instead of the original pvc.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #739 of 3,142
Quote:

I admit my experience with the L3000 is limited, but I found them to have a very prominent upper-bass and lower midrange. I was surprised by their sound, actually.

But as I have said many times, ALL headphones, and speakers, have color. It's just a question of the user *liking* the particular color in question
biggrin.gif

Now I understand your comment better
smily_headphones1.gif

IMHO both phones are colored, in different ways and maybe suiting better certain types of music or listener's preference.
If we looked at "coloration quantity" I'd say the DX-1000 are more colored since their bass from 120Hz down is really "big", more than L3000's, which aren't slouch either for their strong and present bass, but as you stated, maybe a bit more obvious in the mid-bass band. However the DX-1000 seem to go deeper.
I think that midrange is more neutral on the L3000, but not for a wide margin. Where I find the DX-1000 more interesting than the L3000 (I wouldn't dare saying "better") is in the treble, which is kind of more spacious, airy, and more detailed.
When comparing R10 (bass-light and bass-heavy), L3000, DX1000 and MD5000 it's surprising how the L3000 seem to be the ones sounding darker and less detailed, also with a narrower soundstage more into your head.
If the DX-1000 had just a "righter" (for my taste and needs) amount -and note that I say amount, not better, faster, punchier or anything else- of bass under 150 Hz, they'd probably be the best closed cans in current production available. Looking at their real performance they're among the few best ones, but IMO too colored to suit all tastes and music styles. Nonetheless they're among the funniest I own
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #740 of 3,142
Quote:

I too would like to see even one tiny bit of evidence for this statement.

7 for sale posts in the last month only for relatively rare and expensive phones is huge.
But if you like them why should you care?
L3000.gif

Peace.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #741 of 3,142
I actually don't really care personally - I just like to make sure that what gets posted is actually true, and that people wouldn't get scared off from what I consider a world-class headphone for the wrong reasons.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #742 of 3,142
These are seriously some dangerous & seductive cans, I have to keep reminding myself to turn it down while they keep inviting you to turn it up.
cool.gif

The right-out-of-the-box congestion has decreased significantly and I have to say they reveal more detail than I anticipated. I thought my DT880 600Ω's were detailed, but with the DX1000 I've actually heard stuff on records I've never knew was there.
One kinda funny thing was actually a whisper on a record I've listened to a zillion times (but never picked up on the whisper before). I seriously did a total panic 180° turn to see who was behind me. My heart probably skipped a beat too. Good thing I was alone, must've looked funny as hell.

There's also a good degree of very musical separation. The music never ever feels dissected, but you still hear everything clearly. I don't wanna jump the gun, but I think they actually might be beating the DT880 in both detail and separation.

I must however admit that while the treble roll-off isn't bothering me much now, still, on records that are a bit muffled to begin with, they (of course) sound even more so on the DX1000.

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #743 of 3,142
Quote:

I actually don't really care personally - I just like to make sure that what gets posted is actually true, and that people wouldn't get scared off from what I consider a world-class headphone for the wrong reasons.

exactly, and as I can understand some criticism from a person who actually heard the headphones (we all have different tastes and opinions) I find negative talk from people that never took time to really listen to DX1000 kind of shady
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #745 of 3,142
Anyone know how the pads come off? I've tried twisting and pulling, but I don't want to pull too hard unless I know that is how they are supposed to come off.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #746 of 3,142
So after reading that these cans prefer a 'colder' sounding driver, I swapped my HR-2's AD797's for some OPA637's that I had lying around. The difference is quite noticeable - better upper mids and treble extension, as well as general balance, at the expense of some lower bass slam (which may have been a bit excessive with the 797's anyway).

Overall, it is quite enjoyable, particularly with well-recorded classical works, but it may be a bit more fatiguing than I would like (the AD797's have a 'velvety' character that is hard to get away from, even with all of their faults). Anyone have any op-amp recommendations that strike more of a balance between the AD797's and OPA637's?

Anyways, time for a nice long Saturday afternoon listening session
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #747 of 3,142
No one's taken the pads off. I saw earlier that it looks like Skylab must of taken them off to fix a rattle. How do they come off. This morning I tried to pry them off with a screwdriver, but since they didn't come off easily, I don't want to put too much pressure on them.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #748 of 3,142
No, I have never taken the pads off. I am not sure they come off.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #749 of 3,142
Being a very anal person I have continued to burn-in the JVC/Victor HP-DX1000. Currently they have 250+ hours of burn in.

I have also been burning them at much higher levels than I normally listen for a few hours a day and as I mentioned earlier it has helped to improve the extension of the higher frequencies.

I still feel that these cans benefit from being driven by an SS amp or at least a hybrid over a pure tube amp. For the record I find that the DX1000 sounds nicer out of the Head Direct EF-1 hybrid amp or the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ the PinkFloyd mods as compared w/ my Singlepower MPX3. Perhaps Skylab or HiFlight could test their DX1000 w/ the EF-1 to validate of dismiss my impressions.

Lastly IMO these cans are at their best w/ trios or quartets playing un-complex music. Whenever I play very complex music be it Jazz or Classical the DX1000 can not keep up. However on the simpler music they are lovely. FYI, by simple I mean not a lot of instrument playing at the same time.

Will I keep them? Doubtful ...

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #750 of 3,142
I did indeed listen to the JVC with the EF1, and think they sound good together. But I do still prefer the JVC's with the MPX3 over the EF1.

Just different strokes, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back