JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Oct 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #752 of 3,142
No, I really don't. I haven't found any music that I don't think the DX1000 sound good on. I am listening to some 1980's King Crimson on the DX1000/MPX3 combo right now - that is plenty complex, and it sounds nothing short of awe-inspiring on the JVC's.

One note: I very, very rarely listen to Classical music, if that was your specific reference.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #754 of 3,142
I listen to about 25% Jazz or so. I have greatly enjoyed Jazz of all kinds via the DX1000.

But we all do hear differently!

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #755 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I listen to Jazz 95% or more of the time. Thanks.

I listen to many different kinds of music, Jazz being one of them... today I was playing Ella and Louis Verve Japan (SACD) and Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy (SACD), both albums sounded pure heaven on DX1000, IMHO the headphones are great for Jazz, their soundstage really gives the airy feel and sense of realism which is IMHO a must in case of Jazz recordings, and oh yeah..I still remember playing Miles Davis - Dark Magus on DX1000 or Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, or Diana Krall - the Girl in the other Room (SACD).

speaking of complex music, I recommend Loreena McKennit's Nights from the Alhambra ...there's whole bunch of instruments used in it... it was one of my first albums I played on DX1000 and my jaw simply dropped... good memories
o2smile.gif

PS what particular Jazz album sounded poor in your opinion, maybe I have it in my small collection
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #756 of 3,142
Quote:

Being a very anal person I have continued to burn-in the JVC/Victor HP-DX1000. Currently they have 250+ hours of burn in.

Miguel
confused_face.gif
this is "burn in" or "worn out"
biggrin.gif
?

This weekend our friend Hitori has lend me his pair of DX1000s and, after some use directly from my Dell's portable out (with surprisingly good results, but everyone was saying this is normal with those JVCs) I used them mainly with my Meier Opera. So far I am liking them.... too much... but had too little time to appreciate them. They have a nice low end but I do find the mid-to-top end nice too, and I do not fell too uncomfortable wearing them.

Let's see how goes tomorrow, when I will have time for the JVCs... and will have a box to be opened here too with the lettering "W5000" on it...
atsmile.gif

Regards

Josep

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #757 of 3,142
Thanks for your honest opinion. Definitively these headphones aren't worth his price range (how i was thought for a long time, i confirm now) of now $890-$1100.
My Denons did cost me only $196,99 including shipping, and according with that i have read in this thread and in another for a while, my modified Denons, crush them in sound quality, transparency, clarity, speed, detail and instrument separation; and i think that in soundstage too ('can be' on par...) and in other things too (can be in resolution). And they do classical and other genres explendid.
The only thing what continue catching the eye to me is his appearence and some qualities....
It's a shame that a super expensive headphone as it, doesn't have the necessary speed and versatility with another musical genres than classical & Jazz....
Quote:

Lastly IMO these cans are at their best w/ trios or quartets playing un-complex music. Whenever I play very complex music be it Jazz or Classical the DX1000 can not keep up. However on the simpler music they are lovely. FYI, by simple I mean not a lot of instrument playing at the same time.

Will I keep them? Doubtful ...

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #759 of 3,142
I personally think that the DX-1000's have no real shortcomings as far musical 'style' goes, especially if properly driven and sourced. They are certainly better 'rock' phones than my old standard, the HD-650's, with superiour transparency, detail, and speed. Well-recorded classical pieces (I was just listening to Beethoven's 9th, 1962 Karajan recording) sound stunning, with great separation throughout, aided by the enormous soundstage. I haven't heard them from a Tube amp, but I believe that a high-power SS amp would be a better driver for them.

Oh, and if you've never actually heard them, than your opinion is null
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #760 of 3,142
No, but i want to listen them to comfirm my hypothesis (that can be almost true (not %100)) but not at the current price....
Unfortunately, i don't have way to do a listen; and to nobody who can to borrow me a pair, to give to them my impressions. Altough i don't think that they will be very different from the image that i have in my mind, and to that i have read, but i still have that curiosity....
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you haven't actually heard the HP-DX1000...?

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #761 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your honest opinion. Definitively these headphones aren't worth his price range (how i was thought for a long time, i confirm now) of now $890-$1100.
My Denons did cost me only $196,99 including shipping, and according with that i have read in this thread and in another for a while, my modified Denons, crush them in sound quality, transparency, clarity, speed, detail and instrument separation; and i think that in soundstage too ('can be' on par...) and in other things too (can be in resolution). And they do classical and other genres explendid.
The only thing what continue catching the eye to me is his appearence and some qualities....
It's a shame that a super expensive headphone as it, doesn't have the necessary speed and versatility with another musical genres than classical & Jazz....

With all due respect, this is actually some of the most ridicolous I have read in quite a while. Since this is only your imagination on how they sound, you should clearly state that.

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #762 of 3,142
Ok. Sorry, but when i write that, i was 'a little' exalted of the normal (i was in this moment very stressed and i hadn't lunch nothing, until that moment), because of that, that i had read.... That was a something of involuntary impulse, but I couldn't help it. It can sound a little "ridiculous" i known, but i can be in the true too (i don't lost my reason for complete)....
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all due respect, this is actually some of the most ridicolous I have read in quite a while. Since this is only your imagination on how they sound, you should clearly state that.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #763 of 3,142
Wilashort, you are a smart person, and you have been on head-fi long enough now you should know better than to make comments like that about headphones you haven't heard
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #764 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilashort, you are a smart person, and you have been on head-fi long enough now you should know better than to make comments like that about headphones you haven't heard
wink.gif

Comments similar to those that Wilashort just made are the biggest downfall of audio forums - it misinforms, and thus misleads.

If you have not heard it, then your opinion of it regarding sound quality/characteristics is irrelevant.

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #765 of 3,142
Thanks Skylab
smile.gif
(Here in the site, also there is smart people including you, but much fools too, that are very impulsive with the money (and after, they regret their purchases...)). Yes, i should not to have written that i write (but after of all, it can be real and can to serve as a 'constructive' critique. But as i said, it was an impulse. A 'silly' impulse of mine [sometimes (not very frecuent as before...) is a bad habit of mine, because i am always finding the perfection (mine and of things that i like) and somethimes. i don't bear the "fails"... ].
I will try to don't open my mout, unless that whenever necessary. I continue to like/'love' the headphones with his particular characteristics, but that i don't like is his high price tag (it should be of at least -$250 or less)
Sorry for the inconvenience....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Yeah, but read the opinions of others helps, and if one have the capacity to deduce/predict(as i have) very developed, it can be a more accurate, that one who doesn't had it.
When i hadn't the HFI-780 and Denons i did my calcations/hypothesis/mental models (well, with the mind more relaxed and in near full potential) about his sound charateristics, and they was very accurate, not %100 but near, just that i can expect from them on live and in direct, hehehe.
Yes this time i was a little hasty and not calmed/relaxed (i was more emotinal than rational...).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments similar to those that Wilashort just made are the biggest downfall of audio forums - it misinforms, and thus misleads.

If you have not heard it, then your opinion of it regarding sound quality/characteristics is irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back