JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Oct 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #722 of 3,142
I have read that many of you feel the DX1000 does not improve much beyond the 120 hour mark of burn in. Well, mine have reached 170 hours and they sure do not sound as they did two-three days ago.

I have also been blasting them at much higher volumes for about an hour at night. Perhaps the burn in and higher volume has improved their presentation of the upper notes. It is still a very warm can but it is not "congested" in the treble anymore.

All in all a good 24-48 hours, will see what happens in the next 50 hours or so.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #723 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....I have also been blasting them at much higher volumes for about an hour at night.....

Maybe that's the trick, when I ran mine in I only used very low volume and to this day only listen at low volume. Maybe mine aren't run in yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #724 of 3,142
Interesting can, probably too idiosyncratic for the price, seems like many are dumping them after month or so of ownership.
Too bad as I was eyeballing them for quite a while.
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #725 of 3,142
I run mine during burn-in at what would probably be considered slightly over the limit of safe listening level. Not driver-rattling blasting, I could still put em on and listen for a few minutes without problem, but loud enough to give the drivers a healthy exercise.
cool.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #726 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's the trick, when I ran mine in I only used very low volume and to this day only listen at low volume. Maybe mine aren't run in yet
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been breaking-in my cans (not the DX1000) with almost driver blowing volume and pink noise. This definetely speed up the process by far, but is risky because I really do not know how loud is too loud. Has worked wonders to the cans so far, but I hope I do not go too far with a can in the future.

Got to get those drivers moving to make progress =)

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #727 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got to get those drivers moving to make progress =)

Maybe I should just plug my phones directly into our mains supply, 240V of AC goodness for a few seconds. Then again, maybe not, these things are really pricey now.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #728 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I should just plug my phones directly into our mains supply, 240V of AC goodness for a few seconds. Then again, maybe not, these things are really pricey now.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oh, that will work just fine. Stop when smoke turns into flames
devil_face.gif
Just be sure not to wear the phones when you do it
eek.gif

Report back how it went
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #729 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting can, probably too idiosyncratic for the price, seems like many are dumping them after month or so of ownership.
frown.gif

I just did a search in the FS forum here, and came up with more WTB posts, than FS posts.
Or, maybe I didn't search the same way you did?
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe you should consider the new Darth Beyer V4 Terminators?
Similar nature, and lower-priced, too.
Vey nice cans, they are.
L3000.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #730 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a search in the FS forum here, and came up with more WTB posts, than FS posts.
Or, maybe I didn't search the same way you did?
confused_face_2.gif

You're right here, I think he is using a technique to prevent another purchase on his behalf.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #731 of 3,142
Quote:

I too would like to see even one tiny bit of evidence for this statement.

Sure, the DX1000 have a flavor. So do ALL high end cans. The AT L3000, which sell for 3-4x what the DX1000 do, are more colored than the JVC.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #732 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too would like to see even one tiny bit of evidence for this statement.

Sure, the DX1000 have a flavor. So do ALL high end cans. The AT L3000, which sell for 3-4x what the DX1000 do, are more colored than the JVC.

Would you please care to elaborate that statement?
I own both, I like both, but I can't agree. Maybe we understand different things for "coloration"
biggrin.gif

Rgrds

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #733 of 3,142
I admit my experience with the L3000 is limited, but I found them to have a very prominent upper-bass and lower midrange. I was surprised by their sound, actually.

But as I have said many times, ALL headphones, and speakers, have color. It's just a question of the user *liking* the particular color in question
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #734 of 3,142
Progenitor,
It all depends on the amplifier and source. First, between my D5000 Markl moded (my personal implementation)and my WD2000 RL Edition I prefer the later. The soun dis faster cleaner and more defined.

Now between the WD2000 RL Edition and the DX1000 depends of the electronics behind them. If I am using the Rudi RP-& Lite Hybrid and the Threshold Dac 1e I prefer the WD2000 since the sound character of those electronics is on the warm side but if I am using the Rudi RPX-33 Mk II with my wadia set-up I prefer the DX-1000.

Regarding comfort, both are very comfortable cans the only potential negative point of the DX-1000 for some people is the size. They are a lot bigger than the Denon.

I am very happy with both and the Edition 9. I placed and order for the new D7000 so must likely the D5000 will go to the market.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #735 of 3,142
Quote:

frown.gif

Andrew, I know what you're doing to yourself. But, let me spare you the whole denial-internal upheaval-acceptance cycle. Resistance is futile, buddy! These are the most seductive phones on the market today. You will want to put them on your head for a good many hours.
wink.gif

Now, seriously, I'd strongly recommend against inflicting a low quality amp/source on these phones. They are brutal! Those looking for phones for their iPod need not apply.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back