JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Dec 15, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2,206 of 3,142
  Just Bought used JVC DX1000 for 600$ from headfi guy, plugged into my Yulong D100 mkii Dac and headphone amp,
it has got wider soundstage then 650 but the highs are too much too me, may be the DAC is revealing  the highs. Can
you guys recommend  any warm tube or solid state amp. 

Are you saying the treble is too hot or overly extended? If I had to make a criticism of the DX1000 it would be that I find them a tad rolled off although never hot. It seems that your hardware is the issue here.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,207 of 3,142
I know I'm pretty late to this particular party. Heard them at a meet a couple years ago and couldn't quite get them out of my mind. Finally got my wallet to stop whinging and pulled the trigger. I've had them a few months now and I like them very much. I listen to quite a bit of electronic music and these things sure let you know who puts real bass in their songs and not just mid-bass.  

If I had to nitpick I would say the build quality is nowhere close to other high end cans I have handled, way too much plastic. Doesn't really bother me though I treat them like a baby. 
regular_smile .gif

Just Bought used JVC DX1000 for 600$ from headfi guy, plugged into my Yulong D100 mkii Dac and headphone amp,
it has got wider soundstage then 650 but the highs are too much too me, may be the DAC is revealing  the highs. Can
you guys recommend  any warm tube or solid state amp. 

I have some mild tinnitus and one of the reasons I like this headphone is because the highs are smooth and do not hurt my ears. To each their own though.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2,208 of 3,142
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=457598082

Shipping fees, before any customs fees http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_help/international_shipping_info.asp

It seems the JVC HA DX-2000 can be bought through gmarket (global version) in korea. They look good! I don't know about any sound differences with the DX1000 though. I bought DX700, as I have a limited budget (got them for $497 equivalent through pricejapan, had to wait a bit as they weren't easy for them to find).

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2,209 of 3,142
Very late to the party here.
The DX1000, w3000anv and ultrasound signature DJ/pro have been 3 closed headphones on my radar for some time. I'm not truly interested in open headphones anymore owning the he500, lcd2, t1, hd800, hd600, grado bushmills. I have the th600 and alpha dog as closed comparison.
I just ordered a pair of dx1000 from price Japan. Over time once I receive them I shall post impressions.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2,210 of 3,142
Very late to the party here.
The DX1000, w3000anv and ultrasound signature DJ/pro have been 3 closed headphones on my radar for some time. I'm not truly interested in open headphones anymore owning the he500, lcd2, t1, hd800, hd600, grado bushmills. I have the th600 and alpha dog as closed comparison.
I just ordered a pair of dx1000 from price Japan. Over time once I receive them I shall post impressions.

It's never to late to join our party. Congrats on your new purchase, by the way what is your opinion of the LCD2's?

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,211 of 3,142
I love the lcd2 for rock, metal, punk and blues. I'm addicted to its linear bass and fat full tone. The only trouble it has is in the soundstaging size, imaging and I like more treble 'typically for some rock music sub genres. I hear the dx1000 is kind of like tghed hd650, I'm really interesting in chucking some psytrance, stoner rock and other edm/rock genres. I also have a lot off female fronted folk/indcie bands.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,212 of 3,142
I just got my DX1000, instantly noticed the size of the ear cups. My girlfriend wouldn't stop cackling about how big they are. Very comfortable for me, barely notice them on. I've only just finished listening to the "other side" of Infected Mushroom's album Converting Vegetarians, and also Anciients - Heart of Oak. I hear some kind of tiny echo on some instruments which makes it seem rather 3 dimensional, while guitars are positively full robust and energetic. So far out of all my high end headphones, the DX1000 has already been the best listening experience with both albums. I'm certainly noticing the 'musicality' of the sound signature, euphonic sums it up. The bass is very very good, more controlled than the th600 by far, not as powerful by any stretch. I'll see myself using the th600 for a ear tickling still. The sound is more open and clear than the alpha dog which seems a bit congested compared. The DX1000 is the most airy /open closed I've heard yet. Early days but very very impressed that's for sure.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #2,213 of 3,142
Glad you like them :) After you have had more time with jvc's I would really like to hear more impressions how jvc's compare to th600 and alpha dogs. If it's not too much trouble of course :) I've been happy dx1000 user for about 1,5 years now but I always wonder if there would be a closed can I would enjoy more. Th900 and lcd xc are priced to the roof so those are not an option... At one point I got bit bored with dx1000. Then I removed the acoustic lens and it's been all good after that. It really improved the detail and added some clarity to the sound. After that operation I sold my T1 and W1000x without much hesitation
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #2,214 of 3,142
I loved the DX1000 and I still miss it to those those days but airy/open would the last word I use to describe them. To me they sounded like listening to a nice pair of tower speaker in a  small but very cosy room with good acoustic. They definitely sounded like a close can but with great soundstage depth.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #2,215 of 3,142
I've listened to around 15 hours on the DX1000 so far. I'd say they are more open sounding than the Alpha Dog and about on par with the TH600 in openness. They don't sound as open as flagship open cans of course but much more than lower end closed headphones, open as in more expansive with a bigger soundstage and a bit more air. The Alpha Dog to me has always seemed very closed and lacking in air despite a more elevated upper end. The DX1000 and TH600 have a larger soundstage than the Alpha Dog, and are wider and especially in the DX1000 case can sound deeper. I feel that the imaging/separation of the Alpha Dog is not as good as either as well. Listening to Electronic tracks on the Alpha Dog leaves me feeling unexcited and flat, while the TH600 and DX1000 are both exciting. On Rock and Metal tracks thus far the Alpha Dog has fared better but I preferred the DX1000 again, TH600 not as much as either. Listening to the Skyrim and LoTR soundtracks I prefer the soundstage of the DX1000 and its tonal balance the most. The TH600 mids are receded and I feel that they sound strangely thin for classical. The Alpha Dog again doesn't make me feel the space or depth of being there with the orchestra, it seems to lack the air which is often a planar problem for me. What I really like the Alpha Dog for though is Jazzy tracks like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack or the Portico Quartets S/T. The sound of the snare and cymbals come totally alive. Still the DX1000 has that thumping basslines, and smooth musical sound that is so addictive. The Alpha Dog sounds great with stuff like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater, Tool as well to me.

Overall I'd say that soundstage wise the TH600 is the widest with the highest amount of seperation, the DX1000 is the deepest while the Alpha lags behind in both regards. The bass of the TH600 is elevated over the midrange quite a bit and it has a slightly receded midrange which makes the bass bleed occasionally. The bass is very powerful and goes all the way to the sub-bass you can often feel it tickle at times and certainly rumble very hard. The DX1000 bass is also pretty powerful, seal is important here and I need to rotate the headband a little forward for it. The bass rumbles and impacts fairly hard as well but is not as powerful as the TH600, but seems to not bleed at all and is better controlled. The Alpha bass is a fair way weaker than both and lacks the slam both possess, it is very controlled and tight though. The DX1000 mids are prominent and very clear/detailed and have a bit of a euphonic tone to them, much more detailed/forward than the TH600. On certain tracks the mids get distant though, I'm not sure why. The Alpha dog mids are very flat and linear but because it has weaker upper/mid bass it sounds thinner and a bit dry in comparison to the the DX1000. The TH600 still is more weighty even with a receeded mid range. The DX1000 treble is rolled off on my set up and very smooth but not that detailed. Never is it fatiguing at all. I prefer a bit more bite in my treble personally, but the headphone is so enjoyable it is easy to overlook. The TH600 treble is elevated a fair bit making the headphone overall a U shaped headphone. The TH600 treble can be a fair bit "glasslike" or sizzly with the wrong recordings. I hate the treble with lots of my Rock, Metal and Jazz tracks - but for electronic it really brings the music alive with a pop. The Alpha dog is also quite elevated up there in the treble and can be harsh with some recordings that are exciting up top. 

The DX1000 and TH600 are easy to power, more than loud enough even on a Fiio X3 and on my NFB 28 I need barely any power. The Alpha is a bit harder to power and sounds it best with 1W + power to my ears. The Alpha is a lot heavier than the other two which are light, but I find all 3 to be comfortable.

Of course YMMV and this is just my opinion. I'm more of a Dynamic headphone kind of guy personally, as I find that Planars often lack the air/sense of space that dynamics have. I'm not sure if I'm crazy or its just me but the DX1000 and TH600 seem far far more exciting, open, spacious and musical than the Alpha Dog which while being no doubt ably a great headphone to many doesn't tick all the boxes for me even though is does some.

I find the Alpha to be about a B for me overall. The TH600 a B+ and the DX1000 to be an A as far as closed headphones go not taking account of open ToTL. I have not heard LCD-XC, TH900 or Signature DJ.

Hope this was helpful.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #2,217 of 3,142
  I've listened to around 15 hours on the DX1000 so far. I'd say they are more open sounding than the Alpha Dog and about on par with the TH600 in openness. They don't sound as open as flagship open cans of course but much more than lower end closed headphones, open as in more expansive with a bigger soundstage and a bit more air. The Alpha Dog to me has always seemed very closed and lacking in air despite a more elevated upper end. The DX1000 and TH600 have a larger soundstage than the Alpha Dog, and are wider and especially in the DX1000 case can sound deeper. I feel that the imaging/separation of the Alpha Dog is not as good as either as well. Listening to Electronic tracks on the Alpha Dog leaves me feeling unexcited and flat, while the TH600 and DX1000 are both exciting. On Rock and Metal tracks thus far the Alpha Dog has fared better but I preferred the DX1000 again, TH600 not as much as either. Listening to the Skyrim and LoTR soundtracks I prefer the soundstage of the DX1000 and its tonal balance the most. The TH600 mids are receded and I feel that they sound strangely thin for classical. The Alpha Dog again doesn't make me feel the space or depth of being there with the orchestra, it seems to lack the air which is often a planar problem for me. What I really like the Alpha Dog for though is Jazzy tracks like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack or the Portico Quartets S/T. The sound of the snare and cymbals come totally alive. Still the DX1000 has that thumping basslines, and smooth musical sound that is so addictive. The Alpha Dog sounds great with stuff like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Dream Theater, Tool as well to me.

Overall I'd say that soundstage wise the TH600 is the widest with the highest amount of seperation, the DX1000 is the deepest while the Alpha lags behind in both regards. The bass of the TH600 is elevated over the midrange quite a bit and it has a slightly receded midrange which makes the bass bleed occasionally. The bass is very powerful and goes all the way to the sub-bass you can often feel it tickle at times and certainly rumble very hard. The DX1000 bass is also pretty powerful, seal is important here and I need to rotate the headband a little forward for it. The bass rumbles and impacts fairly hard as well but is not as powerful as the TH600, but seems to not bleed at all and is better controlled. The Alpha bass is a fair way weaker than both and lacks the slam both possess, it is very controlled and tight though. The DX1000 mids are prominent and very clear/detailed and have a bit of a euphonic tone to them, much more detailed/forward than the TH600. On certain tracks the mids get distant though, I'm not sure why. The Alpha dog mids are very flat and linear but because it has weaker upper/mid bass it sounds thinner and a bit dry in comparison to the the DX1000. The TH600 still is more weighty even with a receeded mid range. The DX1000 treble is rolled off on my set up and very smooth but not that detailed. Never is it fatiguing at all. I prefer a bit more bite in my treble personally, but the headphone is so enjoyable it is easy to overlook. The TH600 treble is elevated a fair bit making the headphone overall a U shaped headphone. The TH600 treble can be a fair bit "glasslike" or sizzly with the wrong recordings. I hate the treble with lots of my Rock, Metal and Jazz tracks - but for electronic it really brings the music alive with a pop. The Alpha dog is also quite elevated up there in the treble and can be harsh with some recordings that are exciting up top. 

The DX1000 and TH600 are easy to power, more than loud enough even on a Fiio X3 and on my NFB 28 I need barely any power. The Alpha is a bit harder to power and sounds it best with 1W + power to my ears. The Alpha is a lot heavier than the other two which are light, but I find all 3 to be comfortable.

Of course YMMV and this is just my opinion. I'm more of a Dynamic headphone kind of guy personally, as I find that Planars often lack the air/sense of space that dynamics have. I'm not sure if I'm crazy or its just me but the DX1000 and TH600 seem far far more exciting, open, spacious and musical than the Alpha Dog which while being no doubt ably a great headphone to many doesn't tick all the boxes for me even though is does some.

I find the Alpha to be about a B for me overall. The TH600 a B+ and the DX1000 to be an A as far as closed headphones go not taking account of open ToTL. I have not heard LCD-XC, TH900 or Signature DJ.

Hope this was helpful.

thanks for your impressions.
i bought one áudio-gd nfb-10se and i´m thinking of going back to the jvc.
i had two dx-1000 in the past, now i´m undecised between one dx-1000 or one dx-700 recabled

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,219 of 3,142
in my opinion is one of the most confortable.
the pads seem pillows
biggrin.gif

i have already written in this thread the following words: i spent a lot of the Money with headphones.
the headphone that has given me more pleasure is the dx-1000.
perfect headphone?negative
balanced headphone?negative
neutral sound?ahahahahahahah, negative
easy to match?negative
but so romantic, so lustful...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back