JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #586 of 4,826
  So... how do you feel now?! :wink:

I just discovered that my "old" Dog Pad cushions barely fit these headphones... Do they sound better?!? Sadly, NO! But they are a bit more comfortable.
Now I'm wondering if I should get an extra set of Alpha Pads from MrSpeakers and try them on these cans... 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #591 of 4,826
Denon D600s: more comfortable, removable cables, good sound with good bass quantity, v-shaped, highs/upper mids inconsistent to my ears (some tracks sounded harsh) This is going from memory.

JVCs: ears sit on drivers, powerful sound, sound excellent especially if you equalize, more powerful bass, more presence in mids BUT sound is way too warm giving it almost a lo-fi sound.

I'd take the Denon because of comfort, removable cables and Ok sound. But there are more basshead type headphones for similar prices. Check the basshead club thread. (I'd still choose V-moda m100/Yamaha Pro 500 over those Denon and JVC even if they are not the most comfortable ever)

Good Luck!

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #592 of 4,826
The JVC need a lot of burnin before they clear their throats and really start singing. Fully agree that they don't sound the best out of the box but after burning them on and off for a month, they sound huge, powerful and the sounstage is huuuuge. The sound is a lot colder and cleaner and DAT BASS!!

All powered by an X3 but they scale well with the bass reaching skull cracking levels if you even dream of touching the bass knob.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #594 of 4,826
  So... how do you feel now?! :wink:

I just discovered that my "old" Dog Pad cushions barely fit these headphones... Do they sound better?!? Sadly, NO! But they are a bit more comfortable.
Now I'm wondering if I should get an extra set of Alpha Pads from MrSpeakers and try them on these cans... 

I've been listening to them almost every day at work, and while I can't say that they sound any different from when I first got them, I've definitely gotten used to their sound. I really like them, and aside from some initial comparisons, I haven't really touched my HD600s since! Apparently I like bass. :)

I'm certain now that the DX1000s are in my future. I'll keep the SZ2000s at work, and the DX1000s at home. Perfect.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #595 of 4,826
Man where have I been with these headphones?!!

If anyone has ever heard the Pioneer hdj 2000... then the way these are described are very similar. They appear to be an hdj2000 with deeper bass. I dont know which one will be the more murky headphone.
But yo Count me in! 

the dx1000 is described as having pushed back mids. Though I dont think a headphones looks cooler than those I need my mids. 

what are the differences between the sz1000 and 2000 models?

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #596 of 4,826
  Man where have I been with these headphones?!!

If anyone has ever heard the Pioneer hdj 2000... then the way these are described are very similar. They appear to be an hdj2000 with deeper bass. I dont know which one will be the more murky headphone.
But yo Count me in! 

the dx1000 is described as having pushed back mids. Though I dont think a headphones looks cooler than those I need my mids. 

what are the differences between the sz1000 and 2000 models?

The SZ2000s are just made with nicer material. They probably have more bass and more energy to the sound as well.

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #597 of 4,826
The JVC need a lot of burnin before they clear their throats and really start singing. Fully agree that they don't sound the best out of the box but after burning them on and off for a month, they sound huge, powerful and the sounstage is huuuuge. The sound is a lot colder and cleaner and DAT BASS!!

All powered by an X3 but they scale well with the bass reaching skull cracking levels if you even dream of touching the bass knob.

So, the X3 drives these well? I'm considering getting them since i have the S400 (i actually have two...) and was gratefully surprised. They have around 650+ hours of burn-in, so i know the CNT drivers take a lot of time to "set", and i'm willing to wait for the sound to pop up. I was considering driving these with my DX50 for outdoor use and maybe an O2+ODAC for my laptop (maybe, since i haven't bought it yet...). Would you say that they'd sound efficiently with the DX50 in the mean time, or should i drive them with a more powerful source for the burn-in period? (to my ears, the DX50 has a little more juice than the X3, but then again, i only tested the X3 around 3 or 4 days).

Thanks in advance for the response...

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #598 of 4,826

So, the X3 drives these well? I'm considering getting them since i have the S400 (i actually have two...) and was gratefully surprised. They have around 650+ hours of burn-in, so i know the CNT drivers take a lot of time to "set", and i'm willing to wait for the sound to pop up. I was considering driving these with my DX50 for outdoor use and maybe an O2+ODAC for my laptop (maybe, since i haven't bought it yet...). Would you say that they'd sound efficiently with the DX50 in the mean time, or should i drive them with a more powerful source for the burn-in period? (to my ears, the DX50 has a little more juice than the X3, but then again, i only tested the X3 around 3 or 4 days).

Thanks in advance for the response...

My iPhone 5 has more than enough power for the SZ2000s; I imagine the DX50 will do just fine, too.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #599 of 4,826

My iPhone 5 has more than enough power for the SZ2000s; I imagine the DX50 will do just fine, too.

Yup, they don't need monster amplification so either the DX50 or the X3 would do well...

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #600 of 4,826

Yup, they don't need monster amplification so either the DX50 or the X3 would do well...

I gathered that with 16 Ohms of impedance, they didn't needed that much power, but i was thinking about what gikigill said, when he amped the headphones the mids got more present and it cleared a little. Considering that the S400/S500 are also light headphones, but benefit greatly from an amped source (gaining clarity and a litt, i was wondering if the SZ2000 did this too, or was just a difference in power/volume that cleared the headphone...

Also, gikigill, i was wondering how does this HP compares to the response that the HD25-1 has (one of my all-time favorite headphones), mainly in the detailing of the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back