JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #571 of 4,826
As owner of the FXZ200 and the SZ2000 I mentioned about the sound being similar but the SZ2000 has a bigger soundstage and

the bass eventually tightens up and the treble/mids clear up.

Needs patience and a good amp. I use a Headstage 4G, iBasso PB2 and burnin was done using an

Objective2 paired with a NW-HD5 player and bass heavy tracks.

The FXZ needs the same treatment to get rid of the fatiguing sound as you mention.

I pounded them with bass for over a month before they really opened up.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #572 of 4,826
Quote:
As owner of the FXZ200 and the SZ2000 I mentioned about the sound being similar but the SZ2000 has a bigger soundstage and

the bass eventually tightens up and the treble/mids clear up.

Needs patience and a good amp. I use a Headstage 4G, iBasso PB2 and burnin was done using an

Objective2 paired with a NW-HD5 player and bass heavy tracks.

The FXZ needs the same treatment to get rid of the fatiguing sound as you mention.

I pounded them with bass for over a month before they really opened up.

Ah fair enough, sorry I didn't read your impression or maybe I did but forgot but thanks for writing it again.
Yeah i noticed the FXZ got a clearer over time and the bass did go tighter; i can confirm that, but I still think the bass is a bit too much (personal taste).
It is a good set of earphones nevertheless but I prefer something else. 

I want something that's like a...... hmm... non-sibilant version of DT990? hahahha
idk, i haven't tried that many headphones myself 
size]

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #573 of 4,826
Quote:
Ah fair enough, sorry I didn't read your impression or maybe I did but forgot but thanks for writing it again.
Yeah i noticed the FXZ got a clearer over time and the bass did go tighter; i can confirm that, but I still think the bass is a bit too much (personal taste).
It is a good set of earphones nevertheless but I prefer something else. 

I want something that's like a...... hmm... non-sibilant version of DT990? hahahha
idk, i haven't tried that many headphones myself 
size]

990 gets less sibilant on a good tube imo xD 

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #574 of 4,826
Just noticed amazon jp is taking vote on FXZ2000 vs SZ1000 (facebook required) - winner will have a 500yen off promotion.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/socialmedia/promotions/vnc_jvc

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #576 of 4,826
Quote:
Already cheaper than Amazon+promo on Kakaku, this thing's on free fall!

Are you sure?  I bought the sz2000 on Ebay in June at AUD $289 (ca.USD $247) including shipping. Haven't seen anything much cheaper since then: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-JVC-HA-SZ2000-Headphone-/261230851246?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:AU:1123

My impressions so far: They're kind of extreme, but in a likeable way. BIG sound and BIG bass. Really fun for outdoor use.

My pair has about 50 hours on them. They have cleared up substantially. Still a bit muddy. To sound their best, I think they will need plenty more burn-in time than my HA-S500's did.

I've change the stock earpads to the HM5 ones. The HM5 pads reduces the warmth and brings out the highs a bit plus they are thicker so less pressure on the ear lobes. Be careful though if you want to try this mod: The HM5 pads are borderline too small so you have to slide them on really carefully, millimeter by millimeter or the pads might get damaged.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #577 of 4,826
Quote:
Just noticed amazon jp is taking vote on FXZ2000 vs SZ1000 (facebook required) - winner will have a 500yen off promotion.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/socialmedia/promotions/vnc_jvc

500 yen? That's like 5 dollars!

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #579 of 4,826
Looks like JVC overpriced them initially :wink: But seldom it happens THAT MUCH... THAT FAST :p Now they are probably a bit more reasonably priced compared to their little brother CNT 'phones.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #580 of 4,826
Quote - "Does anyone have a frequency chart for the Sz2000?"

Quote - "I want to compare them to the M100 I doubt there exists one yet, I'm also very interested in seeing it as it tells me quite a lot already knowing what kinds of curves appeal to me."

The graph from from the JVC website - http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/sz/img/more/db_stream_diag_02.jpg - the only one I could find. [the website - http://www3.jvckenwood.com/accessory/sz/learn_more.html ]
See the resulting frequency response composite (of the two drivers) line in yellow colour. Elevated sub-bass to upper-bass SPL (sound pressure level / volume). Very neat and linear. About plus 10dB (deciBel) boost relative to the middle vocal range, just about the right number / volume for this kind of headphones. (For a reference or neutral headphones the proper compensatory bass boost would be about 6dB).
SPL starts dipping at around 750 Herz. The upper vocal range of 750Hz to 1100Hz dips/recedes; at 1000Hz it is minus 15dB relative to the middle vocal range. The dip is of about 20dB volume from 1100Hz to about 5500Hz and there is further one of another 5dB fall resulting in the total 25dB depression at 7500Hz. The high frequencies climb almost back to normal at 11000Hz. (..a bit too late). These recessed 'highs' would seem to be the Achilles' heel of Sz2000. I have not heard these headphones but I would say that the lack of proper strength / volume of upper mid to high frequencies leads to less resolution and a bit murky, not 'reference clear' and not properly delineated sound of instruments and vocals in the most critical lower section of the middle frequencies. The higher frequencies harmonic overtones of tones and the high frequencies themselves play the role of sculpting and delineating sound of the musical instruments and of creating 'air', as the word goes, around them. But there is a golden nugget in the mud for some, these headphones will not hurt ears of those whose hearing is sensitive to the high frequencies peaks. ( Although we still need to see the CSD plots, when available, if there is any screechy resonance / 'ringing' at 10000-11000Hz - the link on 'CSD plots' : http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots )
HA-Sz1000 / HA-Sz2000 were clearly designed for a certain market and their main target are the Beats' billions in sales. The devotees of the heavy beat and bass sound of certain forms of 'music' like electro / house / techno / bass and drum / dub step will find Sz1000 / Sz2000 'right up their alley' (proper fit to their taste). They are, looking at the FR graph, not really a good match for the sounds of the acoustic music and not good especially for the women's vocals.
My view on the design of these headphones is that the 30mm driver is not fully capable of properly reproducing the mids and highs, not to the sound standard of the other 55mm driver. It should have been of the 40mm size at least.

Edit - The FR graph link does not seem to work at times. If it happens then just click on the JVC website link above, then google translate the page and then scroll down to the headline 'Treble Unit In Which I Made A Special Tuning For Stream Woofer DB'. The graph is just below the headline.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #581 of 4,826
If that's an accurate representation of the JVC's FR curve I'm not interested, only the bass seems to me on a suitable level but don't like how it goes for the lower-mids up to 8kHz.

Seems to have very deep bass capabilities, ultimately this isn't necessarily good either. I prefer a more punchy bass which actually is good if it starts rolling-off slightly down deep (say after 40Hz or so). Also the slight bump around 500 - 800Hz vs dip in the mids to lower highs leads to somewhat "murky" / smooth midrange which several users described it already. By EQing it probably greatly benefits (using a typically widely available 10-band EQ for example) I'd cut some at 500Hz and boost 2kHz - 8kHz slightly.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #582 of 4,826
So are these pads angled?  Looks like it from some views I saw on Amazon.

Any of you early adopters tried other pads (my hope is Alpha pads work on these)?

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #584 of 4,826
I was quite the fan of the S500, so I decided to take a chance on the SZ2000s. They just arrived from Japan today, and I've been listening to them at work for the past few hours. They're fun, especially when it comes to metal and electronic music. Things can sometimes get a little muddy where a bit more finesse is required, such as with Nina Nastasia and Jim White's "You Follow Me", but I'm very curious to see if I feel the same way after a week or so of listening.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #585 of 4,826
So... how do you feel now?! :wink:

I just discovered that my "old" Dog Pad cushions barely fit these headphones... Do they sound better?!? Sadly, NO! But they are a bit more comfortable.
Now I'm wondering if I should get an extra set of Alpha Pads from MrSpeakers and try them on these cans... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back