JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,726 of 4,826
  Lol I'm on my laptop atm, and I barely hear any bass notes.

Shows how much I know, I thought the other songs were deep =p

I might be mistaken, I was listening with K612s which don't really carry much weight down low, though I could feel the pressure on Bass I Love You. I'll re-listen to both on my FX850s. *edit* There's no doubt, neither of those really have what I'd call bass. Bass I Love you digs down near 20hz, that's really low. I don't really like the song, but Rack City also gets pretty low, I think 25 - 30hz lowest.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,727 of 4,826
After lurking this thread for a while, I wound up nabbing a pair of HA-SZ1000s, FIIO e12, and a set of HM5 pads based on everyone's suggestions.

I originally got the e07k but I didn't think it was a worthwhile purchase since I have a Sound Blaster Z, so wound up returning it and grabbing the e12 instead. I did a couple hours worth of comparison between the two (Sound Blaster Z and e07k), and would give it to the Sound Blaster Z, bareeeely edging it out in sound and amp. Keep in mind though, I don't think I'm nearly as qualified as you guys when it comes to comparisons, but I think that info might be useful to some. The e12 completely satisfied me, though.

On a side note, I use to own a pair of xb500s but they wound up breaking, so I took the pads off and jury rigged them onto my Grado sr60s... and those pads alone boosted the sr60's bass hardcore, even enough to shake my head. Not at the level of the xb500's bass but not toooo far off either, on top of the Grado's great sound. I haven't listened to the sr60s without that pad mod in a while, but I do recall the sound stage and mids suffering a little bit from jury rigging those pads on. I tried the e12 with bast boost and it made my sr60 + xb500 pads bass sound AMAZING. Unfortunately... it also made the right speaker go out... so now I plan to do some mod/fixes to it in the future to fix it.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. My pair of SZ1000s JUST came this morning, and just had to do a quick sound test with the amp + SZ1000s before leaving for work (didn't install the pads yet), and the bass sounded amazing, I can't imagine what the bass on the SZ2000s sound like. I did a quick test with the track Bugg'n by TNGHT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiWp7_TSs38) and I have to say... 100% satisfied. If you guys don't know that track, I would highly recommend checking that track out, great low end thumping bass.

Long story short, thanks everyone on this thread for allowing this guy to rediscover another level of sound and music, yet again.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,728 of 4,826
After reading almost every page of this thread I finally have a pair of these and an E12 inbound. I love my Pro900's but these look like the next step up in bass. Which brings me to my question:
Is there an ear pad that is Leather (not pleather) that will do well with the sz2k and the Ultrasone 900pro? My OCD will not allow mis-matched headphones. The HM5 pads look perfect but not available in leather. I have medium large ears and a giant Shrek head so I'm very worried about fit. Please help

Would these work?
http://www.nvx.com/xre100a-comfortmax-angled-cushions/
Or these:
http://www.nvx.com/xre100s-comfortmax-standard-cushions/

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,729 of 4,826
If anyone knows where to get the HA-SZ2000 for a good price in the USA, without having to import it, please PM me!

I am planning on getting the Focal Spirit Professional first, but also want something with great bass.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,730 of 4,826
After reading almost every page of this thread I finally have a pair of these and an E12 inbound. I love my Pro900's but these look like the next step up in bass. Which brings me to my question:
Is there an ear pad that is Leather (not pleather) that will do well with the sz2k and the Ultrasone 900pro? My OCD will not allow mis-matched headphones. The HM5 pads look perfect but not available in leather. I have medium large ears and a giant Shrek head so I'm very worried about fit. Please help

Would these work?
Or these:

I just got the NVX XPT100 yesterday. I believe the NVX pads are cross-compatible and should work.

I know at least one person who uses HM5 pads with his HA-SZ2000.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,731 of 4,826
If anyone knows where to get the HA-SZ2000 for a good price in the USA, without having to import it, please PM me!

I am planning on getting the Focal Spirit Professional first, but also want something with great bass.

I got mine on Amazon, you will have to look at all the offers, the one I bought had 5 day shipping. I ordered Friday and it will be here Thursday.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,732 of 4,826
I got mine on Amazon, you will have to look at all the offers, the one I bought had 5 day shipping. I ordered Friday and it will be here Thursday.

I just looked through all seven pages of Amazon offers, and unless I'm missing something, every single one of them ships from Japan and has a much longer delivery time...?

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #1,735 of 4,826

Would these work?
Or these:

That was your biggest mistake. Yes the Bass is more powerful but this is it. The SZ2000 do not have: Great comfort, non-harsh vocals, fun,excellent clarity, detailed, wide airy soundstage,  awesome build quality, bang for the buck.......like the beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,736 of 4,826
beyersmile.png

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,738 of 4,826

That was your biggest mistake. Yes the Bass is more powerful but this is it. The SZ2000 do not have: Great comfort, non-harsh vocals, fun,excellent clarity, detailed, wide airy soundstage,  awesome build quality, bang for the buck.......like the beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

Having both of them, i can say that the SZ2000 is fun, comfortable (but only after switching the pads), detailed, with great soundstage for a headphone with that amount of bass. The non-harsh vocals you can EQ them if you want less harsh, but i find the DT990 Pro more prone to harshness than the SZ2000, asking for clarity from a headphone with a woofer seems pretty silly, but it might be possible using substractive EQ.

The SZ2000 aims for maximum bass, without leaving the rest of the range too far behind. The DT990 Pro aims for balance, simplicity on design and comfort, failing sometimes in the latter (it suffers from "Death-grip" sometimes). Both headphones have different applications, and it seems silly to compare them. The SZ2000 has more malleability than the DT990 Pro, and despite the weight, it is very comfortable after you switch the pads (comfort wise EDT770, Alpha Pads and HM5 XL work better). 

You're comparing two sides of completely different coins.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,740 of 4,826
Lol hbb...yes hes a mixed bag of happiness who is trying to prove something without knowing and accepting the real facts.

For the past three months i have been looking for a used pair for my friend. Not even one used pair of jvc's sz2k has been listed on ebay. This explains enough how much folks are having fun with these headphones.

Equalizer tweaking is the key. If you think there is enough bass and its just mashing in with the rest of the spectrum then you might need to lower down the bass sliders/knobs. These headphones have the potential to satisfy human ears in any case (with/without bass). I am only talking about peeps like me who are just looking for a single pair of badass headphones. Money doesn't grow on trees so why invest in a pair which doesn't fulfill every need and you have to get rid off it eventually. Not talking about serious headfiers who spent a lot of money, time and devotion on checking out new audio equipment releases.

Either its johnny cash or bass boosted songs...sz2000 sing. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back