JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,757 of 4,826
  rec'd

I am down for this. I think a solid chain with no breaks is best but my underused sz1000 could go under the solder gun if someone did it already
popcorn.gif

@TheDragonGuy    Hows that stack of shiit treating you? Good stuff? I got a PM yesterday asking about good desktop solutions as they are tired of charging a e12

Yea it works great man. Really supplies more power than i can safely listen to if I really want to crank it that high.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,758 of 4,826
  Yea it works great man. Really supplies more power than i can safely listen to if I really want to crank it that high.

When you got 15 minutes to spare please do a vid paper test so i can add it to the collection of configurations in the list.
The e12 is wearing on some folks because high gain and bass boost does suck batters juice fast....it seems. I might get what you got if the paper is right
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,759 of 4,826
  When you got 15 minutes to spare please do a vid paper test so i can add it to the collection of configurations in the list.
The e12 is wearing on some folks because high gain and bass boost does suck batters juice fast....it seems. I might get what you got if the paper is right
biggrin.gif

He already did.
wink.gif

(Just go down on the playlist to the bass test videos.)

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,760 of 4,826
I've read through this thread and I'm a little confused on the aftermarket pad options.  For example there seems to be consensus that velour pads don't isolate as well and can leak sound in comparison to leather/pleather, but as there are differing opinions on whether they increase, decrease, or don't affect the bass in comparison to leather/pleather.  Can those in the know help by filling in the blanks? 

Brainwavz HM5 (pleather)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

Brainwavz HM5 (velour)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

Beyerdynamic EDT770S (leather)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

Beyerdynamic EDT770V (velour)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

JVC HAM55X (pleather)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,761 of 4,826
  I've read through this thread and I'm a little confused on the aftermarket pad options.  For example there seems to be consensus that velour pads don't isolate as well and can leak sound in comparison to leather/pleather, but as there are differing opinions on whether they increase, decrease, or don't affect the bass in comparison to leather/pleather.  Can those in the know help by filling in the blanks? 

Beyerdynamic EDT770V (velour)

Pros:

Cons:

Effect on sound:

Effect on isolation:

I don't think there's a leather version of the EDT770S (if there is, i haven't seen it in my retailer). From my experience with them:

Pros: Better comfort for prolonged usage, bass sounds a little tighter and with a smidge of volume (substancial quality, not level) over the stock and Hifiman velour pads. Isolation is better than the same pads 

Cons: They get warm really fast, so it could get uncomfortably warm. Depending on the grip of the headphones and the size of your ears, they could affect prolonged use (ears could get tired). 

Effect on Sound: They sound a little more open, since they add more separation between the ear and the cup compared to the stock earpad. They add bass clarity over the stock too, but not as much as the HM5 XL, they sound a little more balanced. They don't remove the veil totally, but it does clears it a little. Still maintains the V signature, though it shows some improved mids over the stock pads.

Effect on Isolation: Great isolation, i barely hear any sound from the outside, though in "portable mode", the HM5 XL might be a little better. They do leak a little, but not as much as the Hifiman pads.

Recommendation? If you want comfort, they are pretty good, depending if you have regular to small ears. Bigger ears might have issues with ear pain after a couple of hours because of the weight. They do sound a little more balanced than with the HM5 XL pads, but maintaining a decent amount of bass, and not affecting extension at all.

I couldn't post on the HM5 XL since i've only used them a couple of minutes during a meet, but they do sound different than the EDT770V.

I'll post the pros and cons on the Focuspads, after i finish modding them so they can fit the SZ2000 (stupid propietary locking system >:/ ).

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,762 of 4,826
Heres another vid showing the difference between high and low gain. It's kind of a pain to get these tests set up with these pads as they give me a hard time getting the paper to lay flat. Hope you all enjoy. Even on low gain turned all the way up your inner ear is shaking. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,763 of 4,826
  Heres another vid showing the difference between high and low gain. It's kind of a pain to get these tests set up with these pads as they give me a hard time getting the paper to lay flat. Hope you all enjoy. Even on low gain turned all the way up your inner ear is shaking. 

But at the same output level, it sounds the same either way, right? That's what everyone on the Schiit thread was saying.

I'm getting the V-MODA Crossfade LP in a few days. I know it has strong bass, but probably nothing like the SZ2K.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,769 of 4,826
Honestly flat eq is just fine but you can use standard bass boost or tailor it to your liking. The highs are lowered to allow the amp to give bass while not stabbing you with high pitch crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back