JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,741 of 4,826
I've owned the SZ2000 for about 2 weeks now. Let me give some impressions. Take note that what I've been listening to every day for the last year are HD800s connected to a WA7. So I'm coming off that to these. 

I ordered the FiiO e12 for it, (for mobility only, I still use my WA7 for desktop listening). I guess some people say to put the FiiO on high gain for the SZ2000, I completely disagree, they're only 32ohms. The bass boost option on the FiiO is a necessity. Amazing little unit.

For desktop listening, I was running these stock off my WA7 for about a week, it just wasn't punching. I bought this equalizer which brought it to a completely new level. I absolutely can't listen to these without that EQ now, even the FiiO with bass boost doesn't even come close to what this EQ can do for these headphones. I know technically the EQ might reduce the audio clarity by a small percentage, but that isn't what the SZ2000 are for. I personally noticed zero degradation when running my WA7 through the equalizer. '

In short, if you're not EQ'ing these headphones, in my personal opinion, they are trash. I bought these for bass, and they simply cannot output that without an EQ (I went for hardware, if you only use foobar2000 for music, software EQ would work fine I'm guessing.) 

Oh, on a side note, I use viper4android on my phone using the FiiO, I find it essential again to get the full breadth of what these headphones can do. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,742 of 4,826
  I've owned the SZ2000 for about 2 weeks now. Let me give some impressions. Take note that what I've been listening to every day for the last year are HD800s connected to a WA7. So I'm coming off that to these. 

I ordered the FiiO e12 for it, (for mobility only, I still use my WA7 for desktop listening). I guess some people say to put the FiiO on high gain for the SZ2000, I completely disagree, they're only 32ohms. The bass boost option on the FiiO is a necessity. Amazing little unit.

For desktop listening, I was running these stock off my WA7 for about a week, it just wasn't punching. I bought this equalizer which brought it to a completely new level. I absolutely can't listen to these without that EQ now, even the FiiO with bass boost doesn't even come close to what this EQ can do for these headphones. I know technically the EQ might reduce the audio clarity by a small percentage, but that isn't what the SZ2000 are for. I personally noticed zero degradation when running my WA7 through the equalizer. '

In short, if you're not EQ'ing these headphones, in my personal opinion, they are trash. I bought these for bass, and they simply cannot output that without an EQ (I went for hardware, if you only use foobar2000 for music, software EQ would work fine I'm guessing.) 

Oh, on a side note, I use viper4android on my phone using the FiiO, I find it essential again to get the full breadth of what these headphones can do. 

For 80 bucks I am gonna order one.
Hardware eq > software all day long.
There are some great eq apps and stuff but for 80 bucks
blink.gif

The eq/amp/pads trio has been the standard scavenger hunt for sz owners for a while now.

Thanks for sharing this
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,743 of 4,826
  For 80 bucks I am gonna order one.
Hardware eq > software all day long.
There are some great eq apps and stuff but for 80 bucks
blink.gif

The eq/amp/pads trio has been the standard scavenger hunt for sz owners for a while now.

Thanks for sharing this
beerchug.gif

Shows 69.99 for me, you live in the US right? Should try clearing your cookies. 

A few notes about the EQ, it has a gain on it, I leave it at 0, you'll want to control the power with the AMP/DAC feeding the EQ, not the EQ itself. Also, when I said I didn't notice any clarity degradation, I was talking specifically about the SZ2000 plugged into them. 

I put on HD800s on them, and I would not recommend that. Keep in mind that the HD800 are extremely sensitive to adding any analogue pass-through device in the chain. 

I'd safely assume any headphones under $300 you wouldn't hear any noticeable degradation. Sadly all I had to test were the SZ2000 and HD800, which are miles apart in clarity, so I don't really know what the cut off point would be. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #1,744 of 4,826
  Shows 69.99 for me, you live in the US right? Should try clearing your cookies. 

A few notes about the EQ, it has a gain on it, I leave it at 0, you'll want to control the power with the AMP/DAC feeding the EQ, not the EQ itself. Also, when I said I didn't notice any clarity degradation, I was talking specifically about the SZ2000 plugged into them. 

I put on HD800s on them, and I would not recommend that. Keep in mind that the HD800 are extremely sensitive to adding any analogue pass-through device in the chain. 

I'd safely assume any headphones under $300 you wouldn't hear any noticeable degradation. Sadly all I had to test were the SZ2000 and HD800, which are miles apart in clarity, so I don't really know what the cut off point would be. 

I'm in Japan...and I love cookies!!
wink.gif

The 2 driver config makes leaving the sub isolated from mids and highs with some eq separation important imo.

Looks awesome for the price.

Wish it had one lower slider at 31Hz but that looks nice!
Have you changed the pads> HM5 are said to work well. I'm chronic basshead so I use 55x

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,745 of 4,826
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you changed the pads> HM5 are said to work well. I'm chronic basshead so I use 55x

I got the Brainwavz pads, they work well. Most people would complain they'd get too hot, but I don't mind that. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,748 of 4,826
  Has anyone had issues with the non-detachable cable?

Can anyone link me to posts that show how to do the mod to make the cable detachable?

rec'd

I am down for this. I think a solid chain with no breaks is best but my underused sz1000 could go under the solder gun if someone did it already
popcorn.gif

@TheDragonGuy    Hows that stack of shiit treating you? Good stuff? I got a PM yesterday asking about good desktop solutions as they are tired of charging a e12

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,749 of 4,826
I think a solid chain with no breaks is best

So you think it may actually have better sound quality with the non-detachable cable? I guess that does make sense, since there are less connections getting in the way of the signal. I'm just a little paranoid about cables getting damaged, etc., from past experiences.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,750 of 4,826

So you think it may actually have better sound quality with the non-detachable cable? I guess that does make sense, since there are less connections getting in the way of the signal. I'm just a little paranoid about cables getting damaged, etc., from past experiences.

Oh I know for sure the audio quality of wires directly soldered to driver tabs is better than that of detachable at high volume. In Car audio folks solder the tabs....no placebo going on there.
However folks got lives and convenience important so I can see the need. Strictly on quality of signal the less links the better.  It's a balance of preferences though

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,751 of 4,826

Oh I know for sure the audio quality of wires directly soldered to driver tabs is better than that of detachable at high volume. In Car audio folks solder the tabs....no placebo going on there.
However folks got lives and convenience important so I can see the need. Strictly on quality of signal the less links the better.  It's a balance of preferences though

Dude, in professional audio there's no soldering, it's mostly connections and there's little to no degradation (most speakers use speakon connections from the amp). I seriously doubt that there'll be a problem by using a removable cable, especially if the cable is that short. Just use a decent enough connector, and you'll be safe.

I sent my SZ2000 to a friend so he can do a removable cable/reconstruct mod on the SZ2000, i'm going with Sommer Cable and RCA connections to the cups (going for a Y cable with individual connections for each speaker).

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,752 of 4,826

Dude, in professional audio there's no soldering, it's mostly connections and there's little to no degradation (most speakers use speakon connections from the amp). I seriously doubt that there'll be a problem by using a removable cable, especially if the cable is that short. Just use a decent enough connector, and you'll be safe.

I sent my SZ2000 to a friend so he can do a removable cable/reconstruct mod on the SZ2000, i'm going with Sommer Cable and RCA connections to the cups (going for a Y cable with individual connections for each speaker).

The day I ran to my sponsor Security and Sound with my discovery to show them...I got a round of golf claps while they all showed their subs hardwired. Mine wasn't yet since I bought the subs elsewhere before meeting them. Spare me the nobody in_______ does______ as that's a bucha ****.

You broke your SZ.

Not taking a guy who can't take care of his **** too seriously except to say mind your own ******* business if I am not talking to you. You just quoted me quoting someone else...what the ****?. Quote him and offer alternate advice. Not me with your ********.

Am I wrong?
Are you wrong?

Does it matter?
Go learn how to take care of your **** and don't tell me what nobody does or doesn't do until you have met everybody. See ya then

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #1,753 of 4,826

The day I ran to my sponsor Security and Sound with my discovery to show them...I got a round of golf claps while they all showed their subs hardwired. Mine wasn't yet since I bought the subs elsewhere before meeting them. Spare me the nobody in_______ does______ as that's a bucha ****.

You broke your SZ.

Not taking a guy who can't take care of his **** too seriously except to say mind your own ******* business if I am not talking to you. You just quoted me quoting someone else...what the ****?. Quote him and offer alternate advice. Not me with your ********.

Am I wrong?
Are you wrong?

Does it matter?
Go learn how to take care of your **** and don't tell me what nobody does or doesn't do until you have met everybody. See ya then

Ok bro... Keep soldering wires to the speakers, i'll keep using decent connectors with my speakers then. I do take care of my ****, just because i "broke" my pair of SZ2000 (which still work, broken and all), doesn't mean ****. And if you solder your ****, good for you, doesn't matter. But don't sell the "Strictly on quality of signal the less links the better." ********, just because you believe in it. Soldering or not soldering doesn't make a difference in sound (but it does in practicality), yet you swear that it does. 

Also, the advice wasn't for you, it was for the person that asked for it. The first paragraph was for you, if you misunderstood or took it as if it was for you, sorry, it wasn't. Next time, i suggest you take a little more time to read through, and relax before posting. 

See ya. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,754 of 4,826
Also, the advice wasn't for you, it was for the person that asked for it. The first paragraph was for you, if you misunderstood or took it as if it was for you, sorry, it wasn't. Next time, i suggest you take a little more time to read through, and relax before posting. 

See ya. 

So quote him.

"Strictly on quality of signal the less links the better."

Read it 4...5...6 more times and it makes perfect sense to me. Go figure??
I'll move my moron ass along while you know what everyone or nobody....(same thing)...does or does not do.

I have too much stress with other folks on here to be stressing with a basshead. If you feel pissed sorry. You rubbed me wrong by quoting me and implying I didn't do what the folks around me did which is what i said. My life= my experience = the advice i will give

I take the net way too serious sometimes.

My bad

Ignore me when i dick out.

Still keep my opinion but apologize for being dick....like a boss....dick mode
mad.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,755 of 4,826
  Read it 4...5...6 more times and it makes perfect sense to me. Go figure??
I'll move my moron ass along while you know what everyone or nobody....(same thing)...does or does not do.

I have too much stress with other folks on here to be stressing with a basshead. If you feel pissed sorry. You rubbed me wrong by quoting me and implying I didn't do what the folks around me did which is what i said. My life= my experience = the advice i will give

It's cool, but you're criticizing the same thing i did (since it's my experience working on sound reinforcement and broadcast). I didn't say "everyone" or "nobody", i just said: "In professional audio there's no soldering", and that "there's little to no degradation of sound". Just because the terms of practicality (it's easier to move just the speaker, instead of the speaker AND the wire).

It might've rubbed You off the wrong way, but that's not my fault, I just did what you did, spoke from experience. I'm just saying, don't knock it until you've tried it. But in the end, it's up to you. Whatever floats your boat.

See ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back