JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,711 of 4,826
  Are there any other downsides to getting the SZ1000 over the S2k? I'm thinking S1k is a better mixture of vocals and bass for that popular big room house music. I'm seriously considering picking one of these bad boys up

Just the bass tightness at car audio listening levels. That's the only downside. It's a non issue for 90% of folks. They both need an amp pad switch and maybe some low end eq

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,712 of 4,826
Just got my Fiio e12 in today. I have the SZ2000 running on my phone with Viper4Android, PlaybackAGC enabled with Effect set to extreme, EQ has a U shape, ViPER Bass enabled at 10dB boost. Fiio crossfade off, bass on, gain 0dB. These headphones sing now. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,713 of 4,826
Just ordered these from Japan and was very excited to try them out. I'm powering them from a Sound Blaster Z sound card (it can power up to 300 ohms). I'm afraid I may have gotten a defective pair of these head phones. The left side (the side with the cable) hits way harder than the right side. The mids and highs sound like they are balanced, but the bass is definetly stronger on the left side. I'm going to listen for a bit longer and EQ the bass up but I can physically feel the left side vibrate MUCH more than the right side. Pretty dissapointed if this is the case as it took over 3 weeks to get these from Japan. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,714 of 4,826
  Just ordered these from Japan and was very excited to try them out. I'm powering them from a Sound Blaster Z sound card (it can power up to 300 ohms). I'm afraid I may have gotten a defective pair of these head phones. The left side (the side with the cable) hits way harder than the right side. The mids and highs sound like they are balanced, but the bass is definetly stronger on the left side. I'm going to listen for a bit longer and EQ the bass up but I can physically feel the left side vibrate MUCH more than the right side. Pretty dissapointed if this is the case as it took over 3 weeks to get these from Japan. 

Do you have another source you can try them with? Also make sure the cable is fully seated. Sorry to hear it, must suck after all that wait.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,715 of 4,826
I'm certain it isn't the source, though I will take your suggestion and try them on my macbook pro. My beyer dt 770s are perfectly balanced with the sound card. The mids and highs sound balanced, it is the mid bass that thumps a lot harder on the left than on the right. I can even feel my head vibrate more on the left. What can you do. 

Edit: It also thumps harder on the left side using my macbook pro and boom 2 equalizer EQ'd for bass. :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,716 of 4,826
  I'm certain it isn't the source, though I will take your suggestion and try them on my macbook pro. My beyer dt 770s are perfectly balanced with the sound card. The mids and highs sound balanced, it is the mid bass that thumps a lot harder on the left than on the right. I can even feel my head vibrate more on the left. What can you do. 

Edit: It also thumps harder on the left side using my macbook pro and boom 2 equalizer EQ'd for bass. :frowning2:

Sounds like the right sides second driver is dead.. hmm, maybe they have a weird plug and you try to push them in a little more? Seems obvious but many a Q40 owner made this mistake (though that's because the screw-in detachable cable, not a regular plug). Maybe you should contact JVC to see if they can fix them? I know the SZx000 is a japanese import but it's probably worth a shot.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,719 of 4,826
Anyway to take your PC out as a source?

ipod to amp to SZ (worth a try)

Soundcards in chains cause issue.
The design of the drivers and their seating makes your issue very odd. is their anything blocking the 2 holes when you take off the pads?

9.jpg

these 2 holes...where the bass is coming from...anything in the way?

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,720 of 4,826
  Anyway to take your PC out as a source?

ipod to amp to SZ (worth a try)

Soundcards in chains cause issue.
The design of the drivers and their seating makes your issue very odd. is their anything blocking the 2 holes when you take off the pads?

9.jpg

these 2 holes...where the bass is coming from...anything in the way?

Wow, sorta irrelevant but that foam and the earcup design reminds me a lot of the Q40 and RX700/900 at the same time. I need to save up for these.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,721 of 4,826
I think you found the problem. I grabbed a can of compressed air and shot some in those 2 holes. I now have full bass on both sides evenly. I'm going to have to play with the EQ quite a bit to make trance sound pretty good. The bass is amazing coming from the DT770, but the veil is pretty thick at the moment and I need to get the drivers off my ears to clear the mids (just pulling them off my ears makes them sound better). Thank you so much HBB!!

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,722 of 4,826
  I think you found the problem. I grabbed a can of compressed air and shot some in those 2 holes. I now have full bass on both sides evenly. I'm going to have to play with the EQ quite a bit to make trance sound pretty good. The bass is amazing coming from the DT770, but the veil is pretty thick at the moment and I need to get the drivers off my ears to clear the mids (just pulling them off my ears makes them sound better). Thank you so much HBB!!

No probs

The housing is so compact and tight that a failed loose driver is almost not possible unless it was off completely with no sound.

Those tubes are a likely culprit. Good call with the air cleaning.

Yup...gotta get the cans off the ears. It's an epic fail (pads and depth) on JVC's part.   The pads changed, a good source and power and you'll enjoy a club like sound. Clarity is your new battle and best weapon is patience and eq.

Enjoy the process

Users who are viewing this thread

Back