JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,696 of 4,826
  I just tried the HE-400's for a few hours and didn't really like them at all. The bass was super detailed, but it was way too soft. The vocals were also jarring.

I'm now considering the V-moda 100's vs. the HA-SZ2000's for the general larger presence of their bass. Can anyone detail the differences between these two headphones?

V Moda just need XL pads and an amp and they are ready to go (of course a bump in the eq in 30-60Hz is a given)
SZ2k must have a pad change and an amp and a eq.  They are both dark headphones and I like that. Matter of taste. The sz2k if handled by a person with patience and some eq ability to trial and error will get a notably larger bass hit.

The passive x-over between the sz drivers are the issue that better pads and eq and amp gain can fix to a point where it is a non issue in some genre. They do not play rock and roll well.
 The Moda are tuned and more user friendly and comfort is fixed with pad change.

Bass impact?
SZ2K

Ease of use/portability?
M100

I own the SZ and the M100 briefly.
I still own the SZ.

If you found bass on open backs soft that's normal if the vocals were jarring then dark is what you want and the Moda and SZ both have that and a good kick.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,697 of 4,826

V Moda just need XL pads and an amp and they are ready to go (of course a bump in the eq in 30-60Hz is a given)
SZ2k must have a pad change and an amp and a eq.  They are both dark headphones and I like that. Matter of taste. The sz2k if handled by a person with patience and some eq ability to trial and error will get a notably larger bass hit.

The passive x-over between the sz drivers are the issue that better pads and eq and amp gain can fix to a point where it is a non issue in some genre. They do not play rock and roll well.
 The Moda are tuned and more user friendly and comfort is fixed with pad change.

Bass impact?
SZ2K

Ease of use/portability?
M100

I own the SZ and the M100 briefly.
I still own the SZ.

If you found bass on open backs soft that's normal if the vocals were jarring then dark is what you want and the Moda and SZ both have that and a good kick.

Thanks HBB! That actually helped a lot. Last few questions.

I'm willing to put in the effort to EQ, pad change, and amp gain. Is the SZ-2K better for mid-bass kicks as well? I understand that their sub-bass is impressive, but I'm looking for more mid-bass kick for the drops in big room house music.

Also, which has greater soundstage and imaging? And which has better clarity in the vocals while maintaining the impact of the bass?

I probably posed a similar question to you about these headphones over on the basshead thread, feel free to ignore that if you want. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,698 of 4,826
  Thanks HBB! That actually helped a lot. Last few questions.

I'm willing to put in the effort to EQ, pad change, and amp gain. Is the SZ-2K better for mid-bass kicks as well? I understand that their sub-bass is impressive, but I'm looking for more mid-bass kick for the drops in big room house music.

Also, which has greater soundstage and imaging? And which has better clarity in the vocals while maintaining the impact of the bass?

I probably posed a similar question to you about these headphones over on the basshead thread, feel free to ignore that if you want. Thanks!

I think other users will be better qualified to help you from here on out.

If money is not the main thing the Ultrasons Signature DJ are my friends faves and he listened to what you like.

Expensive but great cans.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #1,699 of 4,826
I wanna hear mid-bass drops in big room house music. Armin, david guetta, SHM, w&w etc is that what you are talking about or some underground music?

Attach some links of your favorite mid-bass tracks. Party monster and stuck with orthos and sennheisers lol.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,700 of 4,826
I wanna hear mid-bass drops in big room house music. Armin, david guetta, SHM, w&w etc is that what you are talking about or some underground music?

Attach some links of your favorite mid-bass tracks. Party monster and stuck with orthos and sennheisers lol.

Yup! Exactly those artists. Funny you should say Sennheisers, I decided I had more fun with my HD518's than the HE-400 orthos. However, I wanted to chase the detail and quality of the bass on the orthos. Some links: 

I guess I'm just really chasing that PUNCH when the drops come in.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,701 of 4,826
If edm is your style then you need dr hbb recommened jvc ha sz2000.
You will get double stuffed bass, mids and highs which can be easily comparable to any GOOD headphones but you wont get the crystal clear audio reproduction and that instrument separation of orthos for sure.

In your case bass is a three course meal and the rest is just starters. That fiio combo of yours will make you smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back