JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 13, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #2,116 of 4,826
   It is...I added kick from my brain.....
redface.gif

If impact and punch are the same thing, and impact and slam are also the same thing, then would "kick" be the only thing that's different? lol

May 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,117 of 4,826

If impact and punch are the same thing, and impact and slam are also the same thing, then would "kick" be the only thing that's different? lol

To a studio mixer it would be the only one that had a clear ref to a musical instrument.
So yes.
 Punch slam and impact are the same though slam can ref to sub-bass.

My car audio subs slam (crossed over around 55Hz)

May 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,121 of 4,826

Are you sure?

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-thick-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/

The same picture is used on both of those links.

I can assure you that are the same. Amazon does not mention that are extra thick, but they are. I bought them on Amazon. Very comfortable and very good isolation. The transfer of the serious impact remains. However, I still want to test how do the pads 55x.

Cheers.

May 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,122 of 4,826
  I can assure you that are the same. Amazon does not mention that are extra thick, but they are. I bought them on Amazon. Very comfortable and very good isolation. The transfer of the serious impact remains. However, I still want to test how do the pads 55x.

Cheers.

Okay, so Amazon seems to only sell the thick memory foam pads, then. (MP4 Nation also has less thick memory foam pads.)

May 17, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,124 of 4,826
Hi, I will join the club soon. I ordered my pair two weeks ago, and right now they are stuck at the customs in Bruxelles, but I should get them this week.

I was looking for a set of headphones to replace my M50 since I broke the plug ( I will fix it with a new cable eventually, but I wanted to try something else. ). And the M50 was not satisfying in the bass department, especially since with time I am listening to more and more very bass-heavy EDM. I "accidently" ended up on this thread while looking for one, and HBB kinda sold it to me
tongue.gif

I prefer my headphones rather dark sounding, with a V-shaped sound and impactful bass, and this is not too expensive, so I let myself be convinced. I will see how I like it.
I bought some HM5 pads to go with it, and I do have an amp, a E17k ALPEN2. It's not as powerful as the Cayin or the E12, but should do the trick for a non terminally wasted basshead.
wink_face.gif

I will keep you informed when I get it.

May 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,125 of 4,826
Okay, got it today.

First impressions :
  • Changing pads to HM5 is a bit tricky because they are a bit smallish, but it was not a big problem. They seem miles ahead in terms of confort (my ears were touching the driver on both sides), as for the sound, I did not even try with the originals, so I can't say.
  • This thing is heavy.... I love it !
    smily_headphones1.gif
    I feels like you are wearing a helmet.
  • A Fiio E17K is plenty to drive those monsters, at half the volume on the videos shown here (with Gain 6, Bass 6 and Treble 2, in addition to an EQ that lowers the mid/bass by 8 dB) it is already starting to become painful for the ears.
  • The bass is...... infinite for the purpose of using it as headphone.
    L3000.gif
    I started by reducing everything 25dB except the bass and putting on some music... From the slam or rumble that pressurizes your ear to fast beats that feels like someone is playing drums against your ear, everything is there. And of course, no distortion ( as far as my ears are able to take for a few minutes before bleeding... )
  • The sound is definitely veiled.... But I'm fiddling with the EQ and it's getting better. It will probably take some time to find the right settings. I like this sound coloration, but neutral sounding afficionados will probably see the SZ2000 as an abomination. More on this when I'm more confident with the EQing. In the meantime, since I love bass-heavy EDM, it's pretty darn perfect ! I feel like dancing when I have those on.... 
    beerchug.gif
  • I tried the bass extension. Depending on how loud you are listening to the music, you can feel it as low as 2Hz (albeit only slightly). At my approximate volume, it starts to become really significant (pressuring the ears) around 18 Hz. Funny thing : I tried this by using a frequency player online, and I swear I have found the resonant frequency of my jaw
    biggrin.gif

I will keep playing with the EQ a bit and try the SZ2000 with some movies and other music styles, and I'll post again when I know those better.

May 20, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,127 of 4,826
  Okay, got it today.

First impressions :
  • Changing pads to HM5 is a bit tricky because they are a bit smallish, but it was not a big problem. They seem miles ahead in terms of confort (my ears were touching the driver on both sides), as for the sound, I did not even try with the originals, so I can't say.
  • This thing is heavy.... I love it !
    smily_headphones1.gif
    I feels like you are wearing a helmet.
  • A Fiio E17K is plenty to drive those monsters, at half the volume on the videos shown here (with Gain 6, Bass 6 and Treble 2, in addition to an EQ that lowers the mid/bass by 8 dB) it is already starting to become painful for the ears.
  • The bass is...... infinite for the purpose of using it as headphone.
    L3000.gif
    I started by reducing everything 25dB except the bass and putting on some music... From the slam or rumble that pressurizes your ear to fast beats that feels like someone is playing drums against your ear, everything is there. And of course, no distortion ( as far as my ears are able to take for a few minutes before bleeding... )
  • The sound is definitely veiled.... But I'm fiddling with the EQ and it's getting better. It will probably take some time to find the right settings. I like this sound coloration, but neutral sounding afficionados will probably see the SZ2000 as an abomination. More on this when I'm more confident with the EQing. In the meantime, since I love bass-heavy EDM, it's pretty darn perfect ! I feel like dancing when I have those on.... 
    beerchug.gif
  • I tried the bass extension. Depending on how loud you are listening to the music, you can feel it as low as 2Hz (albeit only slightly). At my approximate volume, it starts to become really significant (pressuring the ears) around 18 Hz. Funny thing : I tried this by using a frequency player online, and I swear I have found the resonant frequency of my jaw
    biggrin.gif

I will keep playing with the EQ a bit and try the SZ2000 with some movies and other music styles, and I'll post again when I know those better.

Congratulations! I agree with your initial impressions.

You will burn more since, carbon nanotubes - the material from which the drivers are made - they are very hard to achieve the necessary flexibility. Improvements have been reported after this.

I use so far my fiio X3 and E12 amp but am considering fiio X3 II or X5 II eq implementing good to get all the potential to SZ2000. Will I change my current amp by Cayin C5.

Cheers.

May 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #2,128 of 4,826
Hi guys!

This thread was what pushed me over the limit and I have a pair of SZ1000 and an E12 on their way to my post box :) I've only read abt 100 of the threads so far but couldn't stop myself from asking some questions. The reason I needed new headphones is the annoying ass cable. I go through Porta Pro's like beers on summer's hottest day and last week my Denons gave up too. And this after a year or so of being my computer headphones. As in "never removed from my desk nor pulled from the computer jack".

The Porta Pros I can understand since I use them as soon as I leave the building and the phone is in my jeans pocket. But when the sound disappeared in one of the cups on my Denons I knew they'd given up too. Naturally I began looking after cans with interchangeable cable but wherever I read I kept getting these hints at the JVC SZ-2000 was everything I was looking for and I guess the promise of that umph! I've been on the lookout for forever won me over, despite the cable not being interchangeable. I went for the SZ1K because it'd afford me the E12 at the same price as the 2Ks.

Anyone got any tips on where to go if (when) the cable gives up? I've saved pretty much all my old ones since I figured it was a soldering issue when they give up like this but I don't think I want to mess around with these. Maybe there are diy tutorials for fixing the cable issue on cans? (I know there are but I guess you guys have infinetely more experience abt headphones and know where the good ones are. 
/end of rant

I'm waiting a while with ordering a dac and new pads too. I want to play around with the original first before I mess something up when modding the pads :) 

I love bass heavy music of most genres and can't wait to try my favourite songs with the SZ1K (Chemical Brothers, Infected Mushroom). Anyone tried these with chiptunes and/or other old school video game music? Think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDfV628li0 since this kind of music often is all over the spectrum.

Either way, there's no impatience like the one after you click "confirm" and have to wait for the delivery :)

/FeelTheBeat 

May 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2,129 of 4,826

You saved some money by buying the more affordable little brother, so now you have more leeway.
cool.gif

JVC should provide service if the cable craps out within the warranty period.

I have only one question...

Can you feel the beat?

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back