JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,086 of 4,826
  Yea i see what you mean i wasted alot of cash on hp i didn't fully like.

For me it's the akg k550.

The bass monster has that sound i like from k550 but different so they're keepers.

I'll go with your kind suggestion as i am a newbie in audiophile.

As for the amp under £200 would be the ehp-o2d or i if you don't need bass boost that is.

The amp you recommended is within my price range so i'll snap one up since they're about £100 here as well as those pads.

Recing other folks to spend money is not a light thing. I try to demonstrate stuff this is the bass boost switch on and off.

May 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,088 of 4,826
  Haha raceing with money i tell you this the money i get a month is £500 so i do nothing to earn it, simply welfare in the united kingdom.

Well...get that amp and pads
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,090 of 4,826
SZ2000 are just like bass tubes

Do you mean to say that it has a "boomy" type of bass, similar to a ported subwoofer box (or bandpass box) with a tuning frequency in the midbass range? The response curve of the SZ2000 (posted below) would certainly make it appear that way. A big hump at 100 to 200 Hz??? Yuck!

If it really does have a "boomy" type of sound, then.....that's definitely not the kind of bass I like. I prefer the kind that's tight, can play really deep with ultra-low-frequency extension well below 20 Hz, and can still hit pretty hard around 60 Hz. For example, in my old car stereo I used to have a pair of 12"s in a large, rear-firing, ***sealed*** box that was 1.75 cubic feet per subwoofer (internally) and was filled halfway with pillow-stuffing. Sounded great with all music genres and at all volume levels.

Anyway, here's that SZ2000 chart that appears "boomy." What's your take on all this? How would you describe the bass quality? Boomy? Tight? Something else? If it doesn't sound good at low volume, why not? And does the bass tend to bleed into the midrange and drown it out, or am I just being paranoid?  
ph34r.gif

blink.gif

May 6, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #2,092 of 4,826
Do you mean to say that it has a "boomy" type of bass, similar to a ported subwoofer box (or bandpass box) with a tuning frequency in the midbass range? The response curve of the SZ2000 (posted below) would certainly make it appear that way. A big hump at 100 to 200 Hz??? Yuck!

If it really does have a "boomy" type of sound, then.....that's definitely not the kind of bass I like. I prefer the kind that's tight, can play really deep with ultra-low-frequency extension well below 20 Hz, and can still hit pretty hard around 60 Hz. For example, in my old car stereo I used to have a pair of 12"s in a large, rear-firing, ***sealed*** box that was 1.75 cubic feet per subwoofer (internally) and was filled halfway with pillow-stuffing. Sounded great with all music genres and at all volume levels.

Anyway, here's that SZ2000 chart that appears "boomy." What's your take on all this? How would you describe the bass quality? Boomy? Tight? Something else? If it doesn't sound good at low volume, why not? And does the bass tend to bleed into the midrange and drown it out, or am I just being paranoid?   :ph34r:  :blink:

Yes exactly like Bass tubes, any headphone has to do this job for the Basshead community. JVC came up with an idea and is being rewarded for quite a while now (bass which slams).

I have a question why there are only 193 presets, why not 200 or 400? Seems like you been struggling alot with vmoda's lately or its just fun which is not helping out anyone really. Do you think default 10 band equalizer or bass & treble feature is not enough for tweaking sound?

You have already compared m100 with hd650's. Now it's time to compare them with stax and audeze. I would love to see what kind of response or no response you get over there.

May 7, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,093 of 4,826
I have a question why there are only 193 presets, why not 200 or 400?

Because I haven't had the need to make any new presets or categories. The current two sets of 193 presets and 15 categories do the job really well.

Seems like you been struggling alot with vmoda's lately

Nope; I'm just trying to compare them to other cans. One reason is because in the coming months, I plan on buying a second pair of identical headphones (and a second identical portable amp) so that a friend can go walking with me. I want to make sure there aren't any other headphones out there within my price range that might work even better for me before I choose to spend another $300.

or its just fun which is not helping out anyone really.

Just picking people's brains to see what's up. It's informative,...and a little fun, too.  
wink.gif
  But don't worry; I usually won't stick around on the threads for the other headphones for very long. I just want to see what people say so I can learn a little.

Do you think default 10 band equalizer or bass & treble feature is not enough for tweaking sound?

The one in Rockbox works great for me. In the last two months, I played around with it extensively when creating these EQ categories and presets. It's made all the difference in the world.

May 7, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,094 of 4,826
  The one in Rockbox works great for me. In the last two months, I played around with it extensively when creating these EQ categories and presets. It's made all the difference in the world.

When I owned an iPod classic, I used Rockbox for months. At first, it sounded exciting, but I eventually realized that even on the default setting, it just applies its own EQ -- which would have been fine except for the fact that it creates distortion. This distortion became more and more apparent, and once I switched back to the stock firmware, it was clear how much clearer all the music sounded -- naturally, since the stock firmware has a perfectly neutral frequency response. Anyway, EQ settings on Rockbox are far superior to the stock presets and at least create less distortion. I believe parametric equalizers always have less distortion than graphic ones.

May 7, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,095 of 4,826

When I owned an iPod classic, I used Rockbox for months. At first, it sounded exciting, but I eventually realized that even on the default setting, it just applies its own EQ -- which would have been fine except for the fact that it creates distortion. This distortion became more and more apparent, and once I switched back to the stock firmware, it was clear how much clearer all the music sounded -- naturally, since the stock firmware has a perfectly neutral frequency response. Anyway, EQ settings on Rockbox are far superior to the stock presets and at least create less distortion. I believe parametric equalizers always have less distortion than graphic ones.

Weird...I've never noticed any distortion. But then again, I also have never really been able to tell any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3, either, so it looks like we can add another trait to the list of why I'm not an audiophile!

All my EQ presets in Rockbox use an equivalent precut that's equal to the frequency band that's boosted the most, so it doesn't create audible distortion (or at least I can't notice it). In the stock Apple firmware, especially while playing newer music, I'd get horrifically audible distortion if I used its EQ. This was the main reason why I got Rockbox, and I'm never going back.

May 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,096 of 4,826
  Weird...I've never noticed any distortion. But then again, I also have never really been able to tell any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3, either, so it looks like we can add another trait to the list of why I'm not an audiophile!

All my EQ presets in Rockbox use an equivalent precut that's equal to the frequency band that's boosted the most, so it doesn't create audible distortion (or at least I can't notice it). In the stock Apple firmware, especially while playing newer music, I'd get horrifically audible distortion if I used its EQ. This was the main reason why I got Rockbox, and I'm never going back.

Yeah, the EQ presets (and lack of customization) on the stock firmware are just awful. But if you compare the stock configuration of Rockbox to the stock firmware of the iPod classic on default, it should be easy to hear how much more neutral (and less distorted) the stock firmware is. Only downside is you'd have to uninstall, reinstall, etc.

...Oh wait, you're never going back.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 7, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,097 of 4,826
  if you compare the stock configuration of Rockbox to the stock firmware of the iPod classic on default, it should be easy to hear how much more neutral (and less distorted) the stock firmware is.

Actually, in a way, I have made this comparison before. My laptop PC and my iPod / Cayin C5 portable amp rig are connected to separate auxiliary inputs on my small desktop stereo. In this setup, the volume on the laptop is set at 70%, and the volume on the iPod at about 45% with its EQ turned off and set to flat, and the portable amp at max volume (on high gain) and its bass boost switch turned off.  (And, no, I can't notice any noise or hiss with these settings.)

I can choose the same song and press play simultaneously on both the laptop and the iPod. If I press the button on the stereo receiver to toggle between the two auxiliary inputs, the volume level of the music is the same, and I can't notice any difference in sound quality.

I also did this after getting my first portable amp (the FiiO E12A), which was prior to discovering Rockbox, and I couldn't notice any sound difference between the laptop and iPod then, either. Same story just after Rockboxing the iPod when I was still using the E12A. No difference in sound quality versus the laptop, played through the desktop stereo.

Oh, well,...to each his own.  
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back