JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,056 of 4,826

Clarity is an issue.

Uh-oh. 
eek.gif

These should be a part of a collection and not your one and only set

That's not how I roll. I want one single pair of headphones that's easily portable, is well-rounded in terms of my tastes, and works well with my portable equipment. Basically, I want a versatile system that's truly meant to be "on-the-go."

M100...will distort on my pref settings. 

Do you mean to say that you're getting amp clipping? Or are the headphone drivers actually bottoming out? Never once have I ever gotten my M-100s to bottom out -- not even while maxing out the C5 amp with huge-bass EQ settings running through it. If you're also using a C5 and your M-100 drivers are bottoming out, then your M-100s probably are (or were) defective.

On the other hand, if you were simply getting amp clipping on the C5 while running the M-100s, and you prefer to actually listen to it that loud (for more than 1 or 2 seconds), then,..................damn,...................you must be deaf! 
basshead.gif

the M100...didn't do any 1 thing better than anything else.

But for me, since I just want one pair of well-rounded headphones, that's not a problem. I prefer a pair that will win a gold medal in the all-around, and not necessarily in any particular single event.

Maybe save up for some TH900
wink.gif

I just looked that up online, and the $1,200 price tag is wayyyyyyy out of my range. Especially also since in the coming months, I plan on getting a second pair of identical headphones (M-100s) and a second C5 amp -- so I can go walking with a friend as we both enjoy the same song together with it cranked up and pounding hard. 
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

If you ever come to Chongqing, perhaps you can join me for a walk in the evening on Nanbin Road next to the Yangtze River with the city skyline behind it!

May 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,057 of 4,826
  That's not how I roll. I want one single pair of headphones that's easily portable, is well-rounded in terms of my tastes, and works well with my portable equipment. Basically, I want a versatile system that's truly meant to be "on-the-go."

But for me, since I just want one pair of well-rounded headphones, that's not a problem. I prefer a pair that will win a gold medal in the all-around, and not necessarily in any particular single event.

Scratch the JVC off your list, then. Everyone says it is not an all-rounder. Plus, it's heavy.

If you give me a target budget and more info, I may be able to help you decide on an all-rounder headphone.

May 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,059 of 4,826

This is my listening level.

Haha, pretty funny!

Enjoy the M100...they are great cans!

谢谢,Xiexie, thank you!
wink_face.gif

Since you're in Japan, do you enjoy the music of Kana Nishino and AKB48? They're my favorite J-Pop artists. Just a few nights ago I was walking in the evening on Chongqing's Beibin Road next to the Jialing River with the city skyline behind it, and cranked up a lot of Kana Nishino songs for awhile during part of the stroll. You can click here to hear one of those songs, called "Party Up Tonight."

May 5, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,060 of 4,826
I also had and enjoyed the V-Moda M100 and would have kept them but even the XL pads were too small for my ears.

That led me to the SZ2000. They respond better to EQ than any headphone I own and sound great if you alter the sound signature via EQ to your preferences.

The big advantage of the SZ2000 is that they can shake like no other headphone I've experienced. The V-Moda can shake a bit and sounds better out of the box, but distorts well before the SZ2000 if you EQ heavily.

May 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #2,061 of 4,826
  If you give me a target budget and more info, I may be able to help you decide on an all-rounder headphone.

At this point, I'm pretty-well settled on the M-100 unless I find something that just absolutely blows it away in terms of bass that's both deep and hard-hitting, and in overall sound quality. Comfort and portability are pretty important, too.

The last time I visited the local Hifi shop a month ago, I listened to a pair of Sonys with a model number that included "Z7" or "7Z" in it (or something like that; I can't remember), and also listened to a pair of Denon cans, but can't remember its model number, either. I'm happy to say that my V-Moda M-100s blew both of them away!
beyersmile.png

As for a target budget, I'd say around $300 USD for a pair of headphones, and around $150 for a portable amp that's non-DAC and has a good bass boost switch. I'm a huge fan of good sound quality, but am not an audiophile. (I really can't notice any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3, for example.)

May 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #2,063 of 4,826
  At this point, I'm pretty-well settled on the M-100 unless I find something that just absolutely blows it away in terms of bass that's both deep and hard-hitting, and in overall sound quality. Comfort and portability are pretty important, too.

The last time I visited the local Hifi shop a month ago, I listened to a pair of Sonys with a model number that included "Z7" or "7Z" in it (or something like that; I can't remember), and also listened to a pair of Denon cans, but can't remember its model number, either. I'm happy to say that my V-Moda M-100s blew both of them away!
beyersmile.png

As for a target budget, I'd say around $300 USD for a pair of headphones, and around $150 for a portable amp that's non-DAC and has a good bass boost switch. I'm a huge fan of good sound quality, but am not an audiophile. (I really can't notice any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3, for example.)

For what it's worth, the Focal Spirit Professional is my favorite headphone. (Though I'm about to listen to my new HD 650, so that might change.) It is very neutral, but on the slightly darker side of neutral, with slightly boosted bass and no nasty peaks in the frequency response. Excellent physicality and impact, though I don't know if it would compete in terms of a basshead headphone, even if you boosted the bass with EQ. But I did feel that the bass was stronger than neutral and of high quality and speed. It retails for $349 but can be found used for much lower. Main problem is potential comfort and build quality issues.

May 5, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,064 of 4,826
All i got to say is woah at the bass..