JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #706 of 2,211
Welcome aboard to the "experience," new FXT90 owners!!
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #707 of 2,211
Just went back and forth between the GR07 and FXT90, and I prefer the latter by quite a fair margin. The GR07 is comparatively warmer, but the FXT90's highs are higher, the mids slightly more transparent, the overall presentation slightly more forward, open and airy, and the low's convey greater slam, with authority! The FXT90's timbre is also much closer to the FX700, than is the GR07. To be honest, I felt the GR07 sounded slightly congested in comparison, in quite a few tracks, but that may be due to the FXT90's comparatively brighter (or less warmer, if you will) presentation, which gives it a more lively feel. As far as I'm concerned (preferences considered), for my intents and purposes, the GR07 has officially met it's better half. That's just me of course, and needless to say, the GR07 is still one of the best bang for buck in-ears out there, and I wouldn't hesitate the least bit to recommend it wherever I see fit. 
smile.gif

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, the FXT90 I have up for sale isn't my only pair. 
wink.gif

I agree 100% with everything said here.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #708 of 2,211
Can someone tell me why i'm missing an entire range of treble on my right driver? i thought it was the seal but using my left driver on my right ear, i was able to hear the missing frequencies. Should i send my back to japan?

nvm: the record only shows the treble on left channel.weird :/

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #709 of 2,211
Wow!! These are amazing IEMs, really.  "Lively" and "Engaging" are so perfect for describing them.  They are everything I hoped for after reading the descriptions you guys gave!

I had to stop myself from writing a one-page rave because I know I haven't had time to be objective and A/B them with other cans.  But I am all smiles over them.  They have that magical balance of warmth and sparkle; the treble accentuation they have is well-tuned and comes in the frequency range where you hear bells and chimes, and the crack of snare drums and hi-hats.  To me it is not glaring at all except in already annoyingly treble-heavy electronic tracks where the treble frequencies are busy with electronic cymbals and synth sounds.  And the bass is great; it's only a few decibels north of neutral to my ears, and pretty tight.  There is a very slight midbass hump, which makes everything sound a bit fuller and is not bloated at all.  This is definitely to my preference.

They are very fast-sounding, impactful, and have a front-row character.  At the same time they have great air, clarity, and are realistic in timbre reproduction, especially with acoustic instruments.

Awesome.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #710 of 2,211
I've just tried the comply TS-200  (the rounded version) that came with my UE 600's

For me it's absolute perfection,  I had the "driver flex issue" just in my right ear,  now no problem whatsoever, the bass is perfect, and the treble isn't diminished to any great degree.

For whats its worth, I'm not overly convinced that the popping noise actually comes from the driver (or in the FXT90's case drivers), I think it may well be just air popping out from the seal you get when your ears aren't exactly the same shape.  But I would bow to someone elses superior knowledge.

Anyway, with the Comply's I am now 100% satisfied with the FXT90, its a great IEM, and as I have said before it has the best qualities of a dynamic driver combined with the accuracy of a balanced armature.

As usual YMMV, but it works for me very well indeed, and I am a very happy camper right now

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #711 of 2,211
Thanks for the info on complys. Hopefully my new set won't have any flex issues but I might pick up some complys just in case. The 200's fit nicely then? No fighting with the nozzle? P-series are way too small.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #714 of 2,211

Quote:
The wait is over!  FXT90s were waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday.  That's a mere 10 days after I hit the "Buy It Now" button on ebay...  No small feat.

My disorganized impressions thus far:

-Build quality and design are exactly what I expected--sturdy construction, just enough weight to them to make them "feel" durable, and they look classy in an unassuming way as befits a pair of $120 phones.  Microphonics aren't great when worn down, but a non-factor when worn over the ear.  Isolation is strictly average.

-I've got driver flex on both sides, but I don't really see/hear what all the fuss is about.  Makes for some squishy noises while inserting them, but is otherwise not at all present.  I have a feeling this would go away entirely with different tips, as the stock medium tips do give a fairly vacuum-like "sticky" seal in my ears.

-As for the sound (after only 6-7 hours of burn-in), it's pretty much exactly what I expected:  these are really up-front and in-your-face headphones.  To put it in spacial terms, it kind of feels like sitting 3-4 feet away from a pair of stereo speakers with about 4 feet between them.  The soundstage width is a bit limited because everything feels so close to my head, but not to the detriment of L/R separation.  The dynamics/depth are really nice, and the instrument separation is spectacular.  I've never really heard such obviously "coloured" headphones manage to achieve such surgical precision when it comes to instrument separation.  It's a really cool effect--a very natural, musical sounding 3D effect.  Actually, given this, I feel like a wider soundstage would push these over the edge into "fake surround sound" territory, so I can understand the decision to keep the width reeled in.

-Bass/Mids/Highs:  In keeping with my expectations, a very pleasing amount of bass (not hearing the mid-bass hump yet myself).  Bass is adequately thick, somewhat to the detriment of clarity...  Again, it reminds me of a good home stereo woofer in that it provides a satisfying amount of impact and presence, even if it downplays the detail somewhat, especially compared to the mids + highs.  

Speaking of which, the mids are really nice.  Very crisp, fast, detailed--as advertised!  

That said, THERE IS HARSHNESS.  I hear it in the upper-mids/lower-highs--the nasal frequencies.  Tom Verlaine's voice on 'Adventure' (by Television) is nasal to begin with, but these cans take an already difficult voice and make it practically unlistenable.  I find they also bring out the less pleasing elements of upper-mid-centric clean guitar tones and snare drums.  I'm really, really hoping this "honkiness" mellows out with burn-in, as it currently makes these headphones unnecessarily fatiguing, albeit mainly on tracks that prominently feature that frequency range.

Otherwise, the sparkle and detail in the highs is great.  The treble is not inherently cold or harsh, but rather it's that one spike in the high mids/low highs that jumps out as the lone sore spot in the frequency range and in a sense casts an unfortunate 'coldness' on the overall character of the FXT90s.  I definitely plan to let these burn in a bunch before making any rash decisions, and I may also order a set of M11 tips in an effort to improve isolation and tame those upper mids if they don't go away on their own.

Overall, these sound classy and I can undoubtedly hear their potential--enough so that I'm willing to be patient with them for a few weeks.  They are otherwise exactly what I was looking for--a near perfect blend of detail/separation/3Dness and musicality.  If/when the harshness goes away, I'll be perfectly happy to make these my go-to pair of cans for the next few years. :wink:  

These were exactly my impressions as well but better stated.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #715 of 2,211

Quote:
  Most seem satisfied with the Monster Supertips. They're pricey, but isolation should improve a bit and the highs will be tamed. 

3GS is a good source, I don't think an amp will be needed. 

Hi inks , which Monster supertips are you referring to. Gel or Foam? Thanks

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #716 of 2,211
How is the isolation of these compared to one of the more isolating earphones such as Shure?

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #717 of 2,211

How is the isolation of these compared to one of the more isolating earphones such as Shure?

The Shures I've tried felt like earplugs that also happen to play music.  No question that the FXTs don't isolate nearly as well with the stock tips, but would probably improve a bit with foam tips (which I've yet to try.)  So, unscientifically speaking, maybe 65-70% as good as the Shures with stock tips, 

That said, even with the stock tips, I don't hear much of the outside world when I'm listening to something at a normal volume level.  Looking forward to trying them out on the plane in a couple of weeks...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back