JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 22, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #646 of 2,211
Quote:
Listening to the GR07 - finally - and I think the mids are better than the FXT90 and there is more clarity. Also, I still feel that the drums are better in the GR07, but the drums in the FXT90 have come along quite nicely.

Good to read this...  (because I am trying to stay away from FXT90)
tongue.gif

So Ericp10, which one is your favorite now?

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #647 of 2,211
Quote:
anyone has sibilance issues? mine's quite noticeable. Does it get better after burn in? the highs is about average imo, nothing compare to my UE700. but the bass is ridiculous 
smily_headphones1.gif

I experienced quite a bit, but it did settle down to some degree post ~100 hours. Though it was never to an intolerable extent.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #648 of 2,211

Quote:
anyone has sibilance issues? mine's quite noticeable. Does it get better after burn in? the highs is about average imo, nothing compare to my UE700. but the bass is ridiculous 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had no sibilance whatsoever....have you tried different tips?

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #649 of 2,211

Quote:

Good to read this...  (because I am trying to stay away from FXT90)
tongue.gif

So Ericp10, which one is your favorite now?

Baycode, I kept the FXT90 constantly in my ears (so it seems) for about three weeks or more. It's a universal IEM to be reckoned with when considering sound quality and VFM. With that said, I can't choose one over the other when it comes to the FXT90 vs. the GR07. They're both are still great in my opinion. I honestly can't say if you buy this one you want need to hear that one. They're not the same sound signatures and serve different listening needs for me.

So, if you want more clarity, transparency and great forward vocals with the most realistic drums I've heard in a universal (and great bass and sub-bass without any really audible mid-bass hump), and great micro-details, go with the GR07.

On the other hand, if you want powerful electric guitars, 3-D imaging on the plucking of the acoustic guitar, unique layering of sound and separation of instruments, wonderful rich bass with some mid-bass hump, great dynamic timbre, second-best drums I've heard in a universal, the FX700 sound with more forward mids, and a thicker sounding IEM with great micro-details, go with the FXT90.

It's a draw to me for different reasons.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #651 of 2,211
On the other hand, if you want powerful electric guitars, 3-D imaging on the plucking of the acoustic guitar, unique layering of sound and separation of instruments, wonderful rich bass with some mid-bass hump, great dynamic timbre, second-best drums I've heard in a universal, the FX700 sound with more forward mids, and a thicker sounding IEM with great micro-details, go with the FXT90.

So you hear a mid-bass hump as well? I saw that you downplayed the mid-bass last week, and i2ehan (and possibly others here) don't perceive a strong mid-bass at all.

But if you are hearing it after all, maybe I'm not going crazy. :p

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #654 of 2,211
You're definitely not going crazy, it has a hump for sure - But I wouldn't say it's out of character for the JVC's

Thanks! I couldn't understand the comments before, but I gather it's considered a minor hump by many standards. I'm very sensitive to mid bass hump, so I guess it's more just my issue than anything particularly aberrant with the IEMs. I'll probably EQ it down in the future.

The other comment which got me going was the supposed bump in sub-bass. To my ear the GR07 has a much deeper sub-bass response, and I definitely notice a lack of capability with the FTX90 with a few songs.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #655 of 2,211

It's there, but minimum... Not enough to be ignoring...I like it.
Quote:
So you hear a mid-bass hump as well? I saw that you downplayed the mid-bass last week, and i2ehan (and possibly others here) don't perceive a strong mid-bass at all.
But if you are hearing it after all, maybe I'm not going crazy.
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #656 of 2,211

Quote:
The other comment which got me going was the supposed bump in sub-bass. To my ear the GR07 has a much deeper sub-bass response, and I definitely notice a lack of capability with the FTX90 with a few songs.

The GR07 does have more sub bass rumble but IMO the GR07 has more than most IEM's and it should with an 11mm driver.  The FXT90 seems to have more sub bass and less mid bass with a deeper/better seal and is not too far off from the GR07.  That's why I recommend other tips besides the stock tips.  At least that's what I've found.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #657 of 2,211

Quote:
The GR07 does have more sub bass rumble but IMO the GR07 has more than most IEM's and it should with an 11mm driver.  The FXT90 seems to have more sub bass and less mid bass with a deeper/better seal and is not too far off from the GR07.  That's why I recommend other tips besides the stock tips.  At least that's what I've found.

what are some cheap tips that you recommend that will extend the treble? the medium size stock tips fit my ear perfectly (almost).

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #658 of 2,211
Quote:
It's there, but minimum... Not enough to be ignoring...I like it. 

Quote:

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #659 of 2,211
Like I said in my reviews/impressions.. I detest midbass humps in phones with a passion.. but it's so articulately tuned on the FXT that I really enjoy the coloration.  It's rare for me to enjoy a phone with a midbass hump this much.  The difference between your dima-a-dozen midbass-heavy phones and the FXT is that the midbass hump isn't all that strong in the FXT.. it's a slight hump.  Not to mention, it's a got a very airy feel more than any particularly acute spike.  The powerful, dynamic, midrange-centric nature of the FXT prevents the midbass from dominating the sound signature too.

For those trying to decide between the FXT & GR07, Eric & shotgunshane have summed it up well in the past pages.. I find both to be extremely complimentary.  When you move into the $150-$200 range of universals (especially with mid-fi titans like the GR07 & FXT), certain comparative technical abilities are much closer (i.e. micro-details, extension, timbre, etc.) while the most obvious differences are going to be sound signature and tuning.

For the FXT owners, I'd like you to check out a track from a fantastic mix.. it's a soulful, latin-inflected, jazzy electro tune that the FXT absolutely murders.  Vocals, intricate, layered percussion, horns, pianos.. deep, punchy, speedy bass, imaging, details.. I'm amazed at just how effortless this thing can sound when it's burned in.  The dynamics are spectacular.  The track starts around 9:23.  Love it when those horns come in around 14:14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back