JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #556 of 2,211
Ok glad you both have spoke up, I am not a fan of microphonics as well. If these are worse than the GR07 in these areas I think I will simply use the the SE215 then and call it a day. The only area I find off with them is treble and it's not so bad I dislike the sound, just something I miss, while at the same I never have ear fatigue from.

You just saved me $140 :), thank you.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #557 of 2,211
Thanks ABG, sharper treble also sounds wrong for me, I think I need to use what I have and just enjoy them.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #558 of 2,211
Ok different tack, Eric, these foam tips your talking about that don't change the sound of the FXT90, would they fit on the GR07 or would they be to big?

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #559 of 2,211

Quote:
I think it isolates as good, if not a little better than the GR07 but not by much.  I don't have any issues with microphonics when worn over the ears; of course I don't really have that issue with any phone over the ear, even the Tandem and it's cloth covered cable.

The treble is different from the GR07, which sounds smoother and more relaxed in direct comparison to the FXT90, which is crisper and has more sparkle.

X2

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #560 of 2,211

Quote:
Ok different tack, Eric, these foam tips your talking about that don't change the sound of the FXT90, would they fit on the GR07 or would they be to big?

The foam tips would come off of the GR07 without a spacer (same way I'm able to you use the Monster foam hybrids - I need a spacer core or the tips will stay in my ears... You don't need it with the FXT90).

As for isolation, I'm able to get a deep seal with these (as I am with the GR07). So for a dynamic I think the seal is pretty fantastic. On the buss and train I hardly hear any outside noises. The fellas are right, unfortunately, about the  microphonics. The cable makes noise when walking and in your ear. But only bothers me when the music isn't on.

From what I can remember of the 215, this JVC has clearer, deeper and better bass...... Mids I would think the 215 is the winner, but these mids aren't bad at all. You can hear lots of details, but the notes are much thicker than the 215. Treble I never found harsh in these JVCs at all as others have. I think the treble is smoother and and extends further... The sound of this IEM is warmer to my ears than the GR07.

While it sounds nothing like the GR07 to me, I think I would say the sound is a mixture of the GR07 and a really clearer more transparent DDM, mixed with some of it's big brother, the FX700. Timbre is all the chain, but it has a layered sound that I don't recall being this intoxicating except when listening to the DDM (but the DDM is much muddier in comparison). All of what I just type may be confusing, but that's the best I can do in describing the sound for you. I would never say if you heard the 215 or the DDM or the GR07 or the FX700 that means you've heard the FXT90. But I would say there are various elements of those IEMs in the FXT90.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #561 of 2,211
Thanks Eric that gives me more food for thought. I am trying to resist the urge to buy these as I Di worry they will be not quite what I want (or so much that I stop listening to what I have now LOL). I will ruminate on it some more.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #562 of 2,211
Thanks ABG, sharper treble also sounds wrong for me, I think I need to use what I have and just enjoy them.

I love that you thanked me before I even answered! :)

Treble seem to me to be somewhere between GR07 and the CK/10 (or B2, or DBA-02 if you like). It's entirely what I want from an IEM. But as you say, it doesn't sound your cup of tea. I find the GR07 treble to be slightly (very slightly) too understated. Whereas the SE215 treble just makes me sad face.

I'm guessing you would like the mids and bass on the FTX90 though, based on what you've said in the past.

Just to be an evil little so and so, I bet with the right tips to tone down the treble slightly, you'd really enjoy the FTX90. :D

I haven't had much issue with microphonics, to be honest. That's mostly train and desk listening. Not walking around. I will say that the cable on the FTX90 surpasses that of the GR07 in memory (and lacks the GR07's sheer stubbornness).

These are also my first IEMs which I can wear down instead of around the ear, and I think there's convenience in that.

Cheers,
ABG

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #563 of 2,211
I will also say that the FTX90 is an odd IEM. I've been listening for a few days, have perhaps 30 or so hours on it now, and I still cannot really wrap my head around it yet.

If you are looking to get it out of curiosity and for something a bit different (but very very good), it will satisfy.

The detail, dynamics, and imaging is spectacular to my ear. And those are aspects which I don't normally focus on.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #564 of 2,211
Just got mine in today, so I've been listening to them for only 1-2 hours. I'm having a few issues with the fit. The phones keep feeling like they want to slightly slide out, which is a bit annoying and distracting. I previously owned the Brainwavz B2, which I never really had any fit issues with. I'm guessing its because these don't go too far into the ear that causes the problem.

Soundstage is smaller in comparison to the B2s, and the treble is slightly less as well. This isn't to say that there isn't a good amount of sparkle, because there is. It may just seem to be less treble because of the greater emphasis on the mids/bass.

The mids are a bit more forward in comparison as well, bringing out nice little nuances in tracks that I hadn't earlier paid attention to.

Bass is a marked improvement over the B2s with mid and more importantly sub bass more emphasized.

I feel I could really enjoy these if they fit better and the soundstage were wider. The smaller soundstage makes the sound a mite bit congested.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #565 of 2,211
DM it sounds like you need different tips. I would suggest the monster foam supertips. They would most likely help keep the iems in your ears and may help with soundstage as well.

On another note, I'm thinking of selling off all the iems in my sig to help fund a pair of customs. However, I'd like to keep one and I think it's going to be the fxt90.
eek.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #566 of 2,211

Quote:
DM it sounds like you need different tips. I would suggest the monster foam supertips. They would most likely help keep the iems in your ears and may help with soundstage as well.

On another note, I'm thinking of selling off all the iems in my sig to help fund a pair of customs. However, I'd like to keep one and I think it's going to be the fxt90.
eek.gif

Wow--you'd keep these over the CK10s and GR07s, eh?  I suppose that makes sense, as you're more likely to get 'neutral perfection' from customs as opposed to the fun factor of the FXT90s.  Still, that speaks volumes for the appeal of these JVCs.  

(I am officially going slightly mad waiting for these for arrive now!!) 

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #567 of 2,211
Quote:
Just got mine in today, so I've been listening to them for only 1-2 hours. I'm having a few issues with the fit. The phones keep feeling like they want to slightly slide out, which is a bit annoying and distracting. I previously owned the Brainwavz B2, which I never really had any fit issues with. I'm guessing its because these don't go too far into the ear that causes the problem.

Have you tried switching orientation and wearing them over the ear, my friend? I'm able to get a much more secure fit that way.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #568 of 2,211
Quote:
Wow--you'd keep these over the CK10s and GR07s, eh?  I suppose that makes sense, as you're more likely to get 'neutral perfection' from customs as opposed to the fun factor of the FXT90s.  Still, that speaks volumes for the appeal of these JVCs.  

(I am officially going slightly mad waiting for these for arrive now!!) 

Your logic is flawless.
tongue.gif

The JVC's strike a really good balance between detail, bass weight, timbre and sound stage (and fun-ness) that makes them the best to keep around imo.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #569 of 2,211
Just received mine today 
biggrin.gif
 I think they've just become my current favourite pair to pick up and listen to. But when it all comes down, I'd still take my FX700 over these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back