JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Nov 4, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #226 of 2,211

Quote:
Does this mean you like this better than the FX700's sound?

Excellent question -y0-... Based on memory I would have to say yes. The FX700 was wonderful, but too much bass (and I'm basshead more than not) vs. its recessed mids. I'm also a lover of mids,and the mids are plenty forward enough with the FXT90. Strings are blowing me away. I can honestly say this is what I wished the the FX700 sounded like. Yes, the FX700 has more clarity and transparency, but not by much. Actually, the FXT90 is closer to the sound signature of its big brother, the FX700, than the EX600 is close to the sound signature of its big brother, the EX1000.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #227 of 2,211

Quote:
Excellent question -y0-... Based on memory I would have to say yes. The FX700 was wonderful, but too much bass (and I'm basshead more than not) vs. its recessed mids. I'm also a lover of mids,and the mids are plenty forward enough with the FXT90. Strings are blowing me away. I can honestly say this is what I wished the the FX700 sounded like. Yes, the FX700 has more clarity and transparency, but not by much. Actually, the FXT90 is closer to the sound signature of its big brother, the FX700, than the EX600 is close to the sound signature of its big brother, the EX1000.

How' the difference in soundstage? I agree the FXT90 is hell of a deal for the price and is already one of my favorites.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #229 of 2,211
Inks, FlySweep, shotgunshane and cute you guys have to listen to Chicago's "Beginnings" through these FXT90s... Wow...wow....WOW!!! 
basshead.gif

Sounds lovely, indeed!  They way these portray horns are pretty awesome.  As the track crescendos, everything sounds so clear, effortless, and well separated.  The percussion work at the end of the track is imaged so perfectly.  Great track.

I can imagine you loving this right now, Eric.. wait till they burn in a fair bit.. it only gets better 
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #231 of 2,211
FXT90 is closer to the GR07. I had the FXT90 and EX600 together at one point, they're very contrasting to each other. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #233 of 2,211
Despite the low impedance.. these absolutely SING with the Audinst mx-1 & Arrow amps.. tighter, cleaner, & more dynamic from end to end.  Can't say what it'll do with more robust, desktop setups but these portables kick ass with the FXT90.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #235 of 2,211

Quote:
Okay, here you go (FXT90 vs. DDM). I used the E7/E8 (Fiio DAC/Amp) combination out of my Mac to do the comparison. To get to the crust of it right away, there is not fair comparison. The FXT90 smokes the DDM (and the DDM has been one of my favorites for a long time). 

The DDM sound veiled and muddy compared to the FXT90 (this even with my DDM having hundreds of hours on them now and not even a good five hours of burn-in on the FXT90). The JVC has great instrument separation; more micro-detail of instruments; more clarity and transparency than the DDM. The JVC has better treble.

Now, mids are a hallmark of the DDM. Mids and bass. So the mids are more forward and in your face (somewhat) than on the FXT90 (this doesn't mean the mids on the JVC are the least bit recessed, they are not). But despite being forward, the sound is way muddier coming out the DDM. 

Bass is where the DDM is king however. Yes, the DDM has quite a bit more sub-bass in quantity than the FXT90 (and JVC has quite a bit). But the FXT90 blows the DDM away in quality of bass. I really only used one test song for the both IEMs, Lenny Kravitz' "Are Gonna Go My Way." There was so much detail and liveliness in the JVC as compared to the DDM. They both do thick notes, but again, way more clarity in the FXT90. The bass of the DDM is not bad (don't get me wrong), but it's not clear compared to the FXT90. Timbre is nice in the DDM (and it has its own special layered sound like no other), but it still doesn't compete well against the JVC.

The treble of the DDM can't even get into the ballpark of the FXT90.

Only clarity I've heard in a dynamic approaching the FXT90 is in the GR07 and Sony 7550 (although neither throws out the intensity of energy in the guitars the way the JVC does - GR07 is much much closer). 

Sound quality I would put the DDM at a 5 compared to a solid 9 (1 to 10 scale) for the FXT90. Hope that helps. Happy listening.

thank you very much

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #237 of 2,211

Quote:
Do you happen to have some on-hand? If so could you tell me how wide the tip opening is with respect to the FXT90's nozzle?

While they fit, the tip opening is smaller than the nozzle.  The tip opening is approximately the same size as the GR07 nozzle but the FXT90 nozzle is wider.  The Jays silicone tips opening comes closer to matching the nozzle width.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #238 of 2,211

Quote:
@ericp10
So the E7 pairs nicely with the fxt90?

The E7/E9 combo pairs nicely with the FXT90. I rarely listen to the E7 on its own (actually I don't like the E7 much as a portable amp; I like it as the DAC for the E9 amp).

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #239 of 2,211

Quote:
How' the difference in soundstage? I agree the FXT90 is hell of a deal for the price and is already one of my favorites.

FX700 has a much wider soundstage than the FXT90 (base on memory).

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #240 of 2,211

X2
Quote:
FXT90 is closer to the GR07. I had the FXT90 and EX600 together at one point, they're very contrasting to each other. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back