JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,041 of 2,211
I am a few years behind the hype train, but I am on it now. I don't normally like and use IEMs, but for the FXT90s I will make an exception. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #2,042 of 2,211
So, I bought a pair from the Chinese sellers on eBay... I was really curious for $50 shipped.

Most of the time I find them very punchy, fun and up-front but they can also be a little too shrill or piercing with some tracks.

I am actually enjoying them. They sound as described but I wish I had a retail version to compare them to.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #2,044 of 2,211
So, I bought a pair from the Chinese sellers on eBay... I was really curious for $50 shipped.

Most of the time I find them very punchy, fun and up-front but they can also be a little too shrill or piercing with some tracks.

I am actually enjoying them. They sound as described but I wish I had a retail version to compare them to.

Going from experience with two certified pairs, there is some treble harshness initially. After 25 hours they start to mellow. It takes about 100 hours of burn in for full maturity. They are forward sounding IEMs. They are not shy at any frequency range.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #2,045 of 2,211
Going from experience with two certified pairs, there is some treble harshness initially. After 25 hours they start to mellow. It takes about 100 hours of burn in for full maturity. They are forward sounding IEMs. They are not shy at any frequency range.

I've definitely got at least 25 hours on them now and I get the feeling that they have mellowed.

I also bought some MEElec tips and first tried the bi-flanges, as recommended, but I think I prefer the larger tri-flanges. I find them more comfortable. I think they sound better too but that might just be the increase in bass from a better seal; I'm not sure how they're effecting the sound otherwise.

I quite enjoy them. There is definitely driver flex but I've heard that to be an issue with retail versions as well and I get a bit of hiss from my desktop amp as well as some microphonics when I'm not listening loud enough to drown it out. I'm satisfied for $50 even if they're fakes... I messaged the seller on eBay and this is the response I received,

"this is OEM item maybe it have little bit different with retail version and we had sold many without problem."

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,047 of 2,211
Anyone using these with the DX50 (un amped)?

Also, how do they compare to Vsonic VSD3's?

Thanks.

Can't comment on the DX50, but I can tell you the D3 has a much warmer sound and A LOT more bass. The FXT90s are way more aggressive in the mids and treble, and do not sound as smooth; especially the treble. T90s can get harsh up top. I would say the D3 has a larger soundstage all around. Both are pretty good with detailing.

If you like the aggressive JVC sound and want more bass than what the T90 offers, the FXD series phones may be a good option. I prefer the JVC FRD60 (same as the FXD60 but with a mic) to the T90 as they fit better (not with stock tips though), sound similar, and output the big bass and smooth sound signature of the VSD3. Its a nice combination of the two IMO.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #2,048 of 2,211
Just recieved both the FXT90's and VSONIC VSD3S's and even though I am in the process of burning both of them in, there is a night and day difference between these IEM's. Take this a grain of salt, as I said before, they are being burned in.

Sound:

VSD3S - Laid back, warm, smooth, and slightly wider soundstage - but flatter as well. Mid's take a backseat to the treble and bass, but given its laid back sound character, it can get to sound slightly muddled on faster, more pronounced tracks (think prog rock and pop). These sound the best, to me, with Bluegrass and Jazz.

FXT90 - More "in your face" with very pronounced treble, sharp bass, and upfront mid's. Soundstage is narrower than the VSD3S but there is a lot more depth (almost a 3D effect with some songs), as if you are standing on the front row of a concert. Not nearly as muddled as the VSD3S (but this could be resolved with a good burn-in session). Quick and forward with every single nuance in each and every song giving off a detailed, punctuated, and rich texture. You could hear a pin-drop and point to exactly where it landed. These sound best with Rock and Pop and just really fun to listen to. 

Build Quality: Hands down, the FXT90's beat the VSD3S's.

The cable on the FXT90's, while not removable, is more pliable and thicker. Earbud casings: FXT90 - transparent plastic casing with metal accent, rounded corners with no mold lines to be seen or felt. VSD3S - very sharp mold line that can be both felt and seen, thinner plastic used. The FXT90 is more comfortable, especially if you have smaller ear canals, like myself.

Summary: VSD3S - being dragged behind, FXT90 - being pushed forward.

Want a warmer, smoother, more laid back sound = VSD3S

Want a sharper, more punctuated, fun sound = FXT90

Personally, with my interest in mostly alternative (Nirvana, Pearl Jam), classic (The Beatles, David Bowie), progressive rock (Rush, Pink Floyd), 80's pop (Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie), and a few modern things (Daft Punk - Random Access Memories) I am leaning toward the JVC HA-FXT90 IEM's.

Just my take, not an audiophile by no means. Just looking for a good pair of earphones.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2,049 of 2,211
Hi Everyone!

Woo, after spending a few months reading religiously through the Head-Fi forums, here is my first post.

I've spent the last two weeks with the FXT90 and I have to say they are everything this thread promised. Coming from the VSonic VSD1 I definitely feel it's a solid upgrade.
I love the musicality and, unlike a lot of people here, the sparklyness of the highs. Compared to the VSD1's harsh sibilance the JVC's highs are a lot more pleasant and not fatiguing.
Bass is pretty tight and (for me) with an emphasis on sub rather than mid-bass, which is great, although I could use slightly more quantity.

I mainly listen to electronic (breaks, house and goa trance), heavy metal, hard rock, smooth jazz and classical. For me jazz, house, trance and R&B is where they shine. Rock and metal sound good with a 3-4db eq bump in the 32-64Hz region but in a lot of tracks the guitars sound somewhat distorted and the tracks lose separation - with or without EQ. Definitely not a great IEM for D&B, dubstep or big beat.

Tip-wise I tried the stock mediums, Sennheiser mediums and the MEElec double-flanges. The Senn tips are softer and stay better in my ears while keeping the same SQ as the stocks. I found the MEElecs quite disappointing given the fact that so many people recommend them. With them the treble becomes slightly muffled and similar to the VSD1s while the mid bass seems to get an unpleasant bump. Also, the MEElecs wont stay in my years worn over the years. Luckily the Senns provide a pretty decent seal for me.

Now I'm interested in how the FXT90s compare to the Yamaha EPH-100s? I'm generally looking for a similar sound signature as the FXT90s but with a bit more sub-bass and separation. I would definitely like a similar treble sparkle. Any other suggestions besides the Yamahas?

Thanks and kudos for the great forum!

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,051 of 2,211
I am seriously considering to buy this model but I am worried about their fit. Are they vented at all? I have experienced problems with non vented earphones such as the MH1C's due to the pressure they put on my ear drums. They tend to cause me headaches. Do you think it would happen with these?

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,052 of 2,211
I am seriously considering to buy this model but I am worried about their fit. Are they vented at all? I have experienced problems with non vented earphones such as the MH1C's due to the pressure they put on my ear drums. They tend to cause me headaches. Do you think it would happen with these?

The FXT90 are vented. Fit is surprisingly good despite the odd shape and shallow insertion.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,054 of 2,211
You could look towards JVCs own FXD lineup. I picked up the FRD60 (fxd60 with a mic) and personally find it to be pretty much a direct upgrade to the FXT90. The 70 seems to be better than both the 60 and 80 from what I've read.

Thought about it but I prefer something lower profile that I can lay on a pillow with (which the fxt90s do great cable up).

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,055 of 2,211

Users who are viewing this thread

Back