JVC "flats" HA S150 BN headphones, another low end price review.
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #61 of 104
I wonder if big lots will let me return them if I hate them
I am sure they are incased in that stupid plastic stuff though =/

"Better than PX100" seems hard to live up to.. for a phone of this price.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #62 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if big lots will let me return them if I hate them
I am sure they are incased in that stupid plastic stuff though =/

"Better than PX100" seems hard to live up to.. for a phone of this price.

Biglots will let you return opened items as long as you come up with some plausible excuse. And IMO they are not better than the PX100s and can only compete if price is taken into consideration and is very important to you. The sound sig of the flats is quite different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thx ljokerl, it is just what I was looking for
ksc75smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...8/#post5828504

Glad it helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #63 of 104
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #64 of 104
I paid $25 for them at London Drugs, just because I was curious and they have a good return policy.
OTB they sounded like crap. I'm letting them burn in for a while, and if that doesnt help wonders these are going back and i'm getting myself some ksc-75s.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #65 of 104
Wanted to get back to thread sooner but held up by extensive "burn-in". First a cautionary note please do extensive "burn-in" on these headphones before doing any modifications. I have at least 170+ hrs. music "burn-in" on my son's before I did any critical listening. Let me just say first that the headphones are "Cute as Hell" and fairly comfortable (purchased him Green Color at local Biglots Store for $10 for his Birthday). Secondly I listened to these at about 72+ hrs. "burn-in" and they sounded pretty awful (no bass response to speak of and high-end response was not there either-only a fairly good midrange response). so I decided to put them back on "burn-in" again for much longer time frame. JVC headphones are the most effected headphones that I know of by "burn-in", also own RX700's (also need extensive "burn-in"). The S150'S were transformed into some very good sounding headphones. Listening was done on bedroom rig (Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player -> Rega EAR headphone amp). Comparison to only other portable headphone I have would be AT FC-7 and to other JVC RX700. The S150's really surprised me after extensive "burn-in", the bass response is very good now-these headphones also seem to defy the "laws of physics" with a 28mm diaphram how can they go so low in the bass? The midrange is very good with male and female voices sound very natural, also synthesizers sound very good in this range. The high-end seems to be very good with very good extension on brass, stringed and metallic instuments such as cymbals (in this area they are better that my RX700's). And I think the soundstage is quite good considering they are closed headphones, they do something also unnatural and extend out and beyond the boundaries of the headphones themselves. Acoustic instruments in lower midrange and higher end bass are heard but not rendered very well-not as well as the RX700's, also they seem to handle complex musical passages in the soundstage pretty well also another downfall of my RX700's. So how they do they compare to my JVC RX700 and AT FC-7, they are very neutral headphones maybe leaning a little to the bright side so they are quite different from the RX700's which lean to the dark side of being neutral but are very good heaphones in their own right; I believe they have a sonic signature very close to my AT's, with the AT's being a little more recessed in the midrange compared to the S150's but bass and highend response be quite similar. So comparing the S150's to another company's sonic signature I would say they are very close to AT's portable headphone offerings. I did not get to listen to these on any portable sources at this time , hopefully can do that on later update. Are the S150's worth the $10 I paid for them? of course they are, they may even be worth 4 or 5 times the price; but I do have a few caveats: the build quality is a litte suspect-but good for $10, also the pleather earpads are nice but don't seem to fit very well almost sliding down my ears if they get sweaty (it's hot in Arizona in the summer time). I absolutely love the color and appearance of these phones, if you can purchase them for $10 or less they are a no-brainer impulse purchase-I don't think you'll be disappointed-just remember (very extensive music "burn-in"). I beleive they are another giant killer from JVC just like my RX700's. I've seen these compared to Sennheiser PX-100's and Koss' Porta-Pros but unfortunely I can't comment on this since I haven't heard either one. Is JVC becoming my favorite headphone company hmm...who would have thunk it??? Happy Listening.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #66 of 104
Very nice impressions. I definitely agree that these need a lot of burn-in, indeed just like the RX700/RX900. They sound very, very good after a while - such a fun and balanced presentation is very suprising from a headphone that can be had for $5 on ebay.

I've compared these to PX100s (see review in my sig), and while they don't sound anywhere near as smooth and refined, their punchy, fun sound signature merits pretty heavy use from me - they are probably my favourite phones for casual listening. And if I drop them into the kitchen sink, a replacement pair won't even lighten my wallet
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #67 of 104
My local big lots has both the flats and the Koss KSC24 (which seems to have the same driver as the KSC75) for $10 each and I keep going back and forth about which one I should get. I know they are cheap and I could get both, but I'd really rather not bother. I am still waiting to see if someone from here has listened to the KSC24 and what their thoughts are.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #68 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubersanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My local big lots has both the flats and the Koss KSC24 (which seems to have the same driver as the KSC75) for $10 each and I keep going back and forth about which one I should get. I know they are cheap and I could get both, but I'd really rather not bother. I am still waiting to see if someone from here has listened to the KSC24 and what their thoughts are.

The KSC24's do not have the same drivers as the KSC75's - you're thinking of the KTXPRO1 and/or UR40. More likely, it is the same driver as the KSC35/PortaPro/SportaPro (non-titanium-coated). However, keep in mind that same driver does not always mean same sound quality - these KSC24's seem to be a closed or semi-closed design, so there's a good chance they'll sound like a muffled version of the KSC35's/PortaPros. Still, no reason you can't pick up both these and the flats and return the pair you like less
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #69 of 104
got a black one for $4.99 shipped from ebay. large range but harsh sound. will mod

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #70 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wanted to get back to thread sooner but...

Paragraph... separation... please...
mad.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #71 of 104
Picked these up today at Walmart for $19, and I have to say, if you're looking for some cheap portable headphones, go for these. They sound similar to the KSC75 with maybe a little more bass, and they're much more comfortable. I looked at some earbuds to replace my iPhone buds (replacements are $30.. not sure if they're worth that), but I couldn't resist trying out these.

I'm not sure how durable they are though, but maybe that's just because they're extremely lightweight and simple. It's been a few years, but I think these sound better the the K81DJs and they're a lot more comfortable for those of us who wear glasses.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #72 of 104
Glad others are liking the Flats. I had a pair early in the year and just from the getgo I loved how they sounded. They are just fun headphones, they are punchy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #75 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The $5 ones on Ebay, are they new or used?

Open-box usually. Not used, but not intact packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back