JVC "flats" HA S150 BN headphones, another low end price review.
Nov 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #76 of 104
Got two of these at Job Lot in May @ 10 each. One for me and my mother. Good headphones for the price.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #77 of 104
A very easy mod that I think makes these much better is putting a small thin disc of foam in the little circle under the ear pad where the open part of the driver is, much like how the ear pads are thin circles of foam on the really cheap open air headphones you used to get with walk mans. And of course I put the ear pads back on.

I have stopped listening to these as much simply because they were so punchy and even a little boomy that I just felt sick listening to them, but I decided to mess with them lately and give them a try, and this mod has made the sound much more neutral and even a little "dark and smokey", sorta like a sennheiser model.

Now they are great! It's funny what a little piece of foam can do.

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #80 of 104
I just bougth a pair of these and I think they are good value and I do actually think I could live with these if I had to even though they don't have the soundstage or detail of my K400's they are also a bit dark sounding in comparison, but when they are fully burned in I think that I will a some damping in the earcups and perhaps a Kramer mod could be tried too to sqeeze out some extra clarity and detail.

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #82 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my I guess I need to let them burn in some.

I picked up a pair of flats many many months ago at a Biglots for 10 bucks to give to my 10 year old since he is still pretty rough on his stuff.

All the praise I am seeing here IMO is horse puckey to what I experienced listening to these. They sounded like garbage. With that being said...It is my opinion based on a quick listen to a couple of tracks. I will see where he has put the phones and burn them for a good bit and listen again.

I thought the exact same thing when I first got mine. I'm not a huge burn-in believer - in other words, I do believe in burn-in to a point but not 500 hours or whatever extreme nonsense some try and push. These phones however do open up and sound a bit more refined after a few dozen hours.

I'm really not sure where people are getting that they sound similar to the KSC-75's though - to my ears they couldn't sound much different.
dunno.gif

Anyway, I look forward to trying some of the mods in this thread. I'll try and remember to post my impressions. I already prefer them with flat foam pads over the originals.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #83 of 104
is there any way to get the ksc75 drivers into this shell? I have one with a broken right driver and although the KSC75 sounds better I just can't part with these phones, they look and feel so good, better than the KSC75. An ideal solution would be to get the drivers into the shell (i don't like the clipon design of the KSC at all) but i don't know if it's possible. Probably it's best just to buy another one on ebay? (I have far too many cheapies though, I don't want to spend even $12 on another pair)

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #84 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've received my JVC Flats tonight and was surprised by the SQ/dolar ratio. They're very very good for their price: <IMO>better bass (and overall SQ) than my old AKG K81DJs for a fraction of their price</IMO>, lightweight, discrete and very comfortable.

Very good entry-level portable closed cans.

So these are better than the K81s? My I'll have to check these out. Saw them available locally, might just pick them up as a portable.

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #85 of 104
Every time I go into Ross I am looking for a good pair of headphones up on the rack for next to no money.  When I find a likely pair, I pull out the iPhone and do a search and then put the cans back disappointed.  Imagine my surprise, when I Googled the HAS150s and found out that they were actually decent headphones.  I decided to buy a pair and check them out. 

For use when doing work they are good.  I wouldn't use them for critical listening but even when distracted I sometimes find my self stopping what I'm doing and listening.  For less than $10 you can't expect much but here you get more than you pay for.

Chad

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #86 of 104
Which do you consider best price. An open box for 12$ or a new pair from amazon at 16$.
Maybe the open box is more environmental friendly since its already in the market.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #88 of 104
These are on sale at Walmart for $7.50

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #89 of 104
Sorry for reviving an old thread but doe's anyone know of good replacement pads for these? They measure 60mm width and 50mm length in an oval shape.

I heard mention of Bose memory foam pads that have been successfully used but I can't find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

May 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #90 of 104
I've got the most recent model of the Flats; HA-S160. I've had them for about 4 months now. For $20 bucks, they're fantastic headphones. They're currently my favorite. I own the much more expensive and professional Fostex T20's and they sound veiled and weak in comparison to the Flats. Amazing! The only thing missing from the Flats is soundstage, but thats pretty much expected at the pricepoint and for their size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back