JVC "flats" HA S150 BN headphones, another low end price review.
May 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #91 of 104
This is a bump, but hey...

First, sorry for originally making this in the full size forum. 
tongue.gif

I'm happy to report that I still use my first pair of the flats that I got 3 years ago. They still work. Also, even though I made some noise about using the BOSE pads on them, I went back to using the stock pads. Mine are so old that they've become rather comfortable, and they are still in great shape. No flaking. The headphones are holding up amazingly. They still sound as good as they did, although my more experienced ears notice some of their shortcomings more now (mostly I find them to be a bit "boomy" sounding). That said, they still sound great. 

I was curious; has anyone heard the newest versions of them? Do they sound different now from what my original version would sound like? I was just wondering, because I had one of the first versions of the JVC marshmallow's, and then I got a new pair, and the two are different. The newer version wasn't as loud or as clear sounding. 

May 31, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #92 of 104
Quote:
This is a bump, but hey...

First, sorry for originally making this in the full size forum. 
tongue.gif

I'm happy to report that I still use my first pair of the flats that I got 3 years ago. They still work. Also, even though I made some noise about using the BOSE pads on them, I went back to using the stock pads. Mine are so old that they've become rather comfortable, and they are still in great shape. No flaking. The headphones are holding up amazingly. They still sound as good as they did, although my more experienced ears notice some of their shortcomings more now (mostly I find them to be a bit "boomy" sounding). That said, they still sound great. 

I was curious; has anyone heard the newest versions of them? Do they sound different now from what my original version would sound like? I was just wondering, because I had one of the first versions of the JVC marshmallow's, and then I got a new pair, and the two are different. The newer version wasn't as loud or as clear sounding. 

If you look at the previous post on this thread (should be the last posting on page 6), I made a comment on the newest model which is the HA S160.

May 31, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #94 of 104
I think they're one of the most efficient headphones I've ever heard. They can get pretty loud just through a computer headphone jack. I've never herd the HA 150 model yet. I can't believe there would be a whole lot of difference in the sound signature between them.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #96 of 104
I went and got a newer pair of the Flats as a backup. 

My newer ones are actually a little different. Smaller, somewhat softer ear pads, a very slightly smaller shell and the color is shinier. I got the black ones. 

The sound is almost the same, but I did notice a difference between the new ones and my old original models. The newer ones had clearer mids. I noticed that the original ones have a more recessed/buried sounding mid range. Things like acoustic guitar in the mix of a chili peppers song that can be hard to hear were more clear with my new Flats. The bass on the older ones is also a bit boomier. 

Otherwise they sound the same. The frequency range between the two of them is different. The old ones had one rated at 12-23,000, the new ones go up to 24,000. The SPL is also different, the old ones being 105 db, the new ones 103. 

The new ones are still insanely easy to drive and get stupidly loud. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #97 of 104
thanks to this thread and all the positive reviews, i just ordered a set of black JVC Flats from Amazon. Should receive them on Friday. I"m really hoping these will fit my needs for commuting headphones. I understand they're not noise-cancelling, but i actually don't think noise-cancelling is a good idea in Manhattan. i just need something light-weight, small in size, with good sound and with less leakage than open phones.

i love my Creative Aurvana Lives, but they're just too big for wearing on the streets and subways IMO. and my KSC-75s are open, so no good for subway.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #98 of 104
so i got the JVC flats.....and so far, my review is "meh". i don't think the sound quality is anything to write home about and they seem to provide ZERO isolation, so they don't fill my urban commuting needs at all. The sound leakage is less than open portables but they still do leak some. Are they worth the $11 I paid for them? I guess. But I am underwhelmed.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #99 of 104
I have come up with a modification that is really easy, pretty reversible (although you might end up with bits of pleather on the plastic housing!), and does something rather amazing with these headphones.

Anyway, get some stock PX 200 pads. You all you have to do is of course take off the stock Flats pads, and put some super glue on the bottom of the PX 200 pads, and then put them on the speaker housing, centered of course right over the speaker opening. If you want to reverse it, all you have to do is pull the pads off, which, as I said, may result in some pleather remainder, but won't damage these headphones at all or hurt the sound should you wish to reverse the mod.

The benefits: The comfort level is raised a lot. I mean A LOT. The PX 200 pads are very nice.

The other one is that the sound quality actually seems to benefit quite a bit from the added seal. The bass becomes tighter and fuller, the mid range sound more dynamic. Metallica or Mozart, it just seemed to come to life more with the mod. The one thing I disliked about the flats is that it always seemed to be a bit dull sounding. The intensity is just way more now.

The one flaw is that I did noticed that the sound seemed to become slightly boomier with the mod, but it's not so bad as to take away from the added dynamic they now have. I did notice that it effects vocals more, with voices seeming to become slightly less sharp. However, the bass and mid range really, really benefit. Overall clarity is still excellent.

Here's a couple of pics.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #100 of 104
Are they worth the £15 street price, or should i look at an alternative set of lightweight headphones? As an added note, i listen to mostly rock but there is some pop and some Electronic in there... Any good for that genre?

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #101 of 104
Quote:
Picked up a pair based on the comments on the thread. These are indeed a nice pair of headphones. It has nice bass punch, but lack the usual muddiness you'd expect for the price.

swaffleman, which Bose ear pads are you using? They sound like something I'd like to try out with these.

I am not audiophile but i enjoy good quailty music and headphones. I listen to Rock/Punk and some Electronica are these any good? Rated amazing for $13 by Cnet!! 
Are they really that good for £10?

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #102 of 104
I got these after reading the review here and all I can say is WOW!!!!! much better then I expected can't believe how much BASS comes from these little drivers you can feel the casing shake and no rattle sound at all. Also as others have said these get very LOUD very quickly.. Love them go buy a pair and see for yourself why everyone is hyping these headphones Amazing!!!

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #103 of 104
So, a few posts above this, I gave a short review of the JVC flats, and my review was "meh". Well, I'm amending that review with a positive one. this is what I wrote on Amazon today after a few recent days of listening with the flats.

[size=small]"I was looking for a cheap set of closed headphones for use in NYC, walking the streets, riding on the subway, etc. found good reviews of the JVC Flats on various websites and decided, 'heck, for $12, why not?'.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]When I received them, I was first surprised by how small they are, and they seemed a bit flimsy. But what can one expect for this price? And in a way, the small size and light construction contribute to them being extremely light-wight and very portable.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The sound isolation wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but again, what can you expect from small on-ear headphones? You really need circumaural headphones for that.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I also was not overly impressed with the sound quality. At first.,, They seemed dull and to lack punch, i.e. they sounded like cheap headphones.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I'm not usually a big believer in the concept of "burn-in", but with time, they do seem to sound better and better. And lately, I have been using them a lot and find that they are able to produce some nice sound. And remarkably good sound for their price-point. The sound is clear and pretty well-balanced, with good definition. I also like that when I'm listening to them the music seems to be centered in my brain, which is kind of cool and different from my other headphones.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]For my ears, they work best for classical music. Also good for jazz. Not quite as good for rock, but still sound pretty darn good.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]I have really come around on these JVC Flats and am now a fan. I am considering buying a couple more pairs just to have them around. They make great headphones for trips, for doing physical stuff, etc."[/size]

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #104 of 104
  Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are good for the money. The headphones sounded a bit hollow, so I opened the phones and added some stuffing, it help some. There is a thin piece of plastic in the center of the housing, that piece can be easily broken and glued back. Check your local biglots,the headphones are $9.99

Are you serious? These same ones are $10 at biglots?

That's insane! These headphones are great for $20, but for $10...damned amazing.

Also, I had some really nice memory foam ear pads that I used on my bose, and they just happened to fit perfectly on these, and that has improved the "hollowness" quite a bit. These ones are also a ****load more comfortable than the original ear pads, and those weren't bad.

A backfiring of putting on these ear pads is that for some reason, they REALLY boosted the bass. The bass was already loud. Now not only did I fit them with bose pads, but now they actually sorta sound like the bost tri port...too bassy.

But I like these pads too much.

I know it's been ages you posted this but could you recall which bose pads you put on them? I've been dying here to upgrade a pad for my HAS160.

So, a few posts above this, I gave a short review of the JVC flats, and my review was "meh". Well, I'm amending that review with a positive one. this is what I wrote on Amazon today after a few recent days of listening with the flats.

"I was looking for a cheap set of closed headphones for use in NYC, walking the streets, riding on the subway, etc. found good reviews of the JVC Flats on various websites and decided, 'heck, for $12, why not?'.

When I received them, I was first surprised by how small they are, and they seemed a bit flimsy. But what can one expect for this price? And in a way, the small size and light construction contribute to them being extremely light-wight and very portable.

The sound isolation wasn't as good as I was hoping for, but again, what can you expect from small on-ear headphones? You really need circumaural headphones for that.

I also was not overly impressed with the sound quality. At first.,, They seemed dull and to lack punch, i.e. they sounded like cheap headphones.

I'm not usually a big believer in the concept of "burn-in", but with time, they do seem to sound better and better. And lately, I have been using them a lot and find that they are able to produce some nice sound. And remarkably good sound for their price-point. The sound is clear and pretty well-balanced, with good definition. I also like that when I'm listening to them the music seems to be centered in my brain, which is kind of cool and different from my other headphones.

For my ears, they work best for classical music. Also good for jazz. Not quite as good for rock, but still sound pretty darn good.

I have really come around on these JVC Flats and am now a fan. I am considering buying a couple more pairs just to have them around. They make great headphones for trips, for doing physical stuff, etc."

Hey, I saw you have(or had) both ksc75 and Flats. How would they sound in comparison?? I was thinking about getting a ksc76 as an upgrade over flats some times ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back