JVC "flats" HA S150 BN headphones, another low end price review.
May 27, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 104
All this positive response to the "Flats" just might make me go pick up a pair now. The pink pair looks so attractive in person, and it would match my pink sansa fuze so well.

Although I was hoping to find a pair of the new FX-50's.

Starting with the Marshmallows, then the RX-700/900's, now these flats and maybe FX-50's? JVC is surprising me more and more with these budget headphones (although I really didn't like the pair of aircushions I bought a while back, however I never properly broke them in).

May 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #17 of 104
Sorry, long time lurker here
smile.gif

I've been using superfi3s with biflanges, uncomfortable for 4-6hr sessions but ok for <2hrs, and needed to find some lightweight phones to give my ear canals a break. Not wanting to order online (not very patient) and not wanting to spend alot I've been following the "budget" threads with interest. I decided to pick up a pair of the JVC Flats this afternoon and I gotta say I'm pleased
beerchug.gif
I wear glasses with thick ear-pieces so circumaurals were out. These phones were a pleasant surprise; bass was a little muddy on tracks where bass is really exaggerated to begin with (some Cure stuff). But Streetlight Manifesto, The Toasters, even Stan Getz, all sounded clean and clear. Vocals and horns were good and percussion was generally sharp and satisfying. I've been listening to them for about 5hrs straight and so far so good. I can listen in moderate volume (16 of 40 on my Cowon) and can just barely make out the fountain in the corner of my yard gurgling about 35ft away. With SuperFi3s I stop hearing the fountain as soon I get them on, so if anyone out there is looking for isolation, this ain't it. That being said I would expect to pay more for something this good. For $19 at Walmart? And they fold flat to boot (hence the name, duh); tough to beat.

May 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 104
I've received my JVC Flats tonight and was surprised by the SQ/dolar ratio. They're very very good for their price: <IMO>better bass (and overall SQ) than my old AKG K81DJs for a fraction of their price</IMO>, lightweight, discrete and very comfortable.

Very good entry-level portable closed cans.

May 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #20 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm was hoping I could find it around here in Canuckistan for a good price, but yeah, fat chance of that. Around $34 taxed.. hmm guess I will just have to get it sent in the next package that comes up here.

Try Winners. They have JVC cans and iems on-sale periodically. I picked up a set of Marshmallows for $10 last week. They also had flats for $12 (?).

May 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #21 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm was hoping I could find it around here in Canuckistan for a good price, but yeah, fat chance of that. Around $34 taxed.. hmm guess I will just have to get it sent in the next package that comes up here.

You can get them for $25 at Walmart if they have them in stock, thats $5 cheaper than any other B&M Store I have been to.

I bought a pair for my wife tonight and had a very cursory listen as a sneak peek and was pleasantly surprised. I will give them a good listen after she has a chance to try them out.

May 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 104
After another listen or two I have to say these are not as good as my new Philips HP910 nor my Monster Turbine IEM's but I would have been surpised if they had been. On the other hand they are way better than anything I have heard in this price range by a long shot and sonically they do not have any majot holes in their sound for me. The bass is definitely present and not boomy which I like and the mids and highs are very nicely balanced with no sibiliance present in anything I have listened to. I know my wife likes their sound as well. Certainly a very nice portable set of phones. They also are pretty darn comfortable with only a small issue of them slipping around which do to their design is a bit to be expected. Certainly an excellent option for anyone who doesn't like IEM or bud style phones and for anyone in an office who needs to hear whats going on around them while not broadcasting what they are listening to.

May 31, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #24 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this positive response to the "Flats" just might make me go pick up a pair now. The pink pair looks so attractive in person, and it would match my pink sansa fuze so well.

Probably won't find them cheaper than $5.29
Try Here

May 31, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #25 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably won't find them cheaper than $5.29
Try Here

Thanks for the link, picked one up. No packaging and pink color, but it's for the GF and she won't use it outside. Plus gives me a chance to listen to it as well.

The seller ships to Canada too, for those who are interested. With the CAD being strong against the USD, it came to $7.34 CAD shipped.

May 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #28 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need some comparisions to the KSC-75 and PX100 tbh!

Much better than my old PX100s, for sure. The bass on the JVC Flats isn't boomy, and it doesn't overshadow the mids either. As said by others, the sound is very balanced for a pair of headphones at this price point.

But they're not perfect. A major problem I found with them is isolation: due to the small size of the pads and the lack of clamping force, they're very bad at isolating you from outside noise. I've been wearing them for a few days in buses and trains, and they won't satisfy if isolation is important. They don't leak much, though.

May 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a pair based on the comments on the thread. These are indeed a nice pair of headphones. It has nice bass punch, but lack the usual muddiness you'd expect for the price.

swaffleman, which Bose ear pads are you using? They sound like something I'd like to try out with these.

I'd take a guess at QC3/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back