Just pulled the trigger for HD650.
May 24, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 24
I have my 650s hooked up to Audio-GD C2.1.  Very transparent and detailed.  Plenty of power as I never go past 9 o'clock in high gain mode.  Need to get a DAC next. 

May 24, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 24
for the cheap & dirty, go SS. at the lower end of the spectrum, SS would be the better for speed, punch, extension & clarity. i use a vintage pioneer for my 650 so i cant really recco a specific dedicated headamp but im sure others will be glad to chime in. goodluck

May 24, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
I have my 650s hooked up to Audio-GD C2.1.  Very transparent and detailed.  Plenty of power as I never go past 9 o'clock in high gain mode.  Need to get a DAC next. 

same here, I use the HD650's, and my others, with C-2.1, I'm satisfied, I can definitely recommend the NFB 2/3 DAC to pair with C-2.1

May 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
I'm in a similar situation. I've just ordered the HD650 and I'm now looking at DACs and amps. A friend recommended the Little Dot Mk V but, unfortunately, he's already sold it so I can't get a listen. Google brings up a positive review on it posted here but it's from 2008, so I was just wondering what the most recent recommendations were considering I'd rather have a separate DAC and amp rather than an all-in-one job.
Almost forgot: Budget is about £200-£300 for each. Also, no thread hijacking intended as it's basically the same topic! Just thought it'd save making a new thread.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Trying again as I seem to be invisible :wink:

[/size]

You can look at most OTL amps, if you're set on tubes, to narrow down the field.  Do some research on SE DACs.  Of course the 650s are very versatile so SS will work well too. Good luck.

May 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 24
Was looking at the C2.1 also, but decided on balanced amp after reading that it works well with HD650. Just ordered iBasso PB2. Anyone have this combo? How's the match?

May 26, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
You can look at most OTL amps, if you're set on tubes, to narrow down the field.  Do some research on SE DACs.  Of course the 650s are very versatile so SS will work well too. Good luck.

Actually I didn't say anything about tubes haha. Looking at the C2.1 I think that'll be what I'll end up going for unless something changes my mind by September.

May 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Actually I didn't say anything about tubes haha. Looking at the C2.1 I think that'll be what I'll end up going for unless something changes my mind by September.

Lol.  When I hear Little Dot I associate it with OTL tube amps.  When I owned the FUN it was pretty damn good, so I'd vouch for Audio-GD products.

May 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Trying again as I seem to be invisible :wink:

I would say that the little dot mk v is definately worth looking at for a quality ss amp. I nearly bought one not long ago and did quite a bit of research on it. However, with your budget, you could go the way of the tubes. The LD mk IV can be bought for about £200 if you purchace from the man himself in China. £320 for the SE version (upgraded tubes) from uk. I think tubes give you a lot more scope to fine tune to your taste and OTL amps are always best for high impedance cans IMO.

That should leave you enough wonga to snap up a MF V Dac (I have this and love it), or CA Dacmagic.    

May 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 24
I like the Fiio E7+E9! Very nice!

MacKat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back