Just pulled the trigger for HD650.
May 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Yitaro

100+ Head-Fier
Ordered through Headroom and will be shipping Monday.  Did a lot of research and finally, setting on HD650.
This is my first "head-fi" purchase and looking forward to hearing what's all the fuss.  Been listen to 2 channels.
My question is this, what amp is a good match for the HD650.  My budget is under $400.  SS or Tube?  My preference is towards "Martin Logan" sound.  Transparent and lay-back.
I know that this question has been asked many times, but in doing the research, I find that most recommendations are outdated.  I am looking for current options.

Thanks.

May 21, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 24
Congrats.  Try the SS Audio-GD gear.  My first rig was the Audio-GD FUN + HD650s and it worked out well.  If you don't have a quality source I urge you to check that out.  The Nuforce HDP, though I've never heard it, has a good following as well.  If you already have a good source then you have a lot of options out there.  Do some research on the Schiit Valhalla, Woo Audio 3, Audio-GD C2 etc.

May 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 24
exactly, NFB-12 or Fun when you need a source, great bang for your buck

congrats on a great headphone

May 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 24
You will like it. Very easy to listen to. I prefer a SS amp with it. Check out my unboxing on YouTube so you know what you're getting. Just Google HD650 unboxing.

May 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 24
I'm in a similar situation. I've just ordered the HD650 and I'm now looking at DACs and amps. A friend recommended the Little Dot Mk V but, unfortunately, he's already sold it so I can't get a listen. Google brings up a positive review on it posted here but it's from 2008, so I was just wondering what the most recent recommendations were considering I'd rather have a separate DAC and amp rather than an all-in-one job.
Almost forgot: Budget is about £200-£300 for each. Also, no thread hijacking intended as it's basically the same topic! Just thought it'd save making a new thread.

May 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
Ordered through Headroom and will be shipping Monday.  Did a lot of research and finally, setting on HD650.
This is my first "head-fi" purchase and looking forward to hearing what's all the fuss.  Been listen to 2 channels.
My question is this, what amp is a good match for the HD650.  My budget is under $400.  SS or Tube?  My preference is towards "Martin Logan" sound.  Transparent and lay-back.
I know that this question has been asked many times, but in doing the research, I find that most recommendations are outdated.  I am looking for current options.

Thanks.

I owned the ML Aerius I and the S3L3 for over 10 years. I wish I could have afford the Re-Quest.
ANW, My set up with the ML did not sound laid-back but transparent and as far as 3 D image they are only on step below the Apogee.

I also so own the Senn HD650 which I love for serious and critical music : IMO, Diana Krall sounds best with the HD650. The HD650s are
definitely designed for discriminated ears. Enjoy and treasure the good product from Senn. 

May 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Congrats.  Try the SS Audio-GD gear.  My first rig was the Audio-GD FUN + HD650s and it worked out well.  If you don't have a quality source I urge you to check that out.  The Nuforce HDP, though I've never heard it, has a good following as well.  If you already have a good source then you have a lot of options out there.  Do some research on the Schiit Valhalla, Woo Audio 3, Audio-GD C2 etc.

Yep, an Audio-GD amp/dac combo (NFB-12/11, Fun, Sparrow) should be a no-brainer if on a limited budget. The discrete amp section is capable and there is power in reserve for the HD650 (rarely had to go past 9 o'clock in high gain, but beyond that is clean and free of distortion). You also get a quality dac and if you're fortunate enough to not fall victim to upgradeitis, you'd have a bang for buck setup that will do the highly adaptive HD650 justice. If you decide to explore other flavors (tubes) in future, you'll have a fine source to build upon.

May 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 24
Hi Olor1n.  I guess I should clarify my definition of lay-back.  What I meant in "lay-back" is to lay-back and enjoy the music.  I find that when I am listening to ML, I just forget about the speakers and totally be immerse in the music.  You know what mean?  Hard to explain.
I to love the Re-Quest and currently have it running with YBA gears.

May 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Hi Olor1n.  I guess I should clarify my definition of lay-back.  What I meant in "lay-back" is to lay-back and enjoy the music.  I find that when I am listening to ML, I just forget about the speakers and totally be immerse in the music.  You know what mean?  Hard to explain.
I to love the Re-Quest and currently have it running with YBA gears.

hehe, that's also 'lay-back' or (lying)laid-back.
Funny, as soon a we head-fiers see those words (lay-bakc/laid-back), immediately things like this pop in our mind: 'HD6X0' 'not Grado' 'Sennheiser'

May 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 24
Just placed an order for iBasso PB2. Just can't wait to try the combo.

May 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
I'm in a similar situation. I've just ordered the HD650 and I'm now looking at DACs and amps. A friend recommended the Little Dot Mk V but, unfortunately, he's already sold it so I can't get a listen. Google brings up a positive review on it posted here but it's from 2008, so I was just wondering what the most recent recommendations were considering I'd rather have a separate DAC and amp rather than an all-in-one job.
Almost forgot: Budget is about £200-£300 for each. Also, no thread hijacking intended as it's basically the same topic! Just thought it'd save making a new thread.

Trying again as I seem to be invisible :wink:

May 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 24
I'm biased towards tube amps, although that's partly due to lack of ever owning a good solid state amp... at least until my NFB-12 gets here. I'm currently running my 650s through a Audiotailor Jade and Zero DAC. Zero was $178 and Jade was $275.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back