Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #10,261 of 11,345
Quote:
any budget portable amps you recommend for the t50rp?

If I'm feeling lazy I usually just hook mine up to a simple CMoy to go out and about, and it gets all the power it needs for my volume levels. It won't get to earsplitting loudness, but there's nothing wrong with it at normal listening levels.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #10,262 of 11,345
Quote:
sorry to hear that you did not get a cable -- i could not find anything on amazon that is suitable for your needs.  you could take a gamble on these but i can't guarantee that they will fit properly:  http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MU6MMSRA-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7SDES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372876203&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+cable

& if those don't work, you can get an original cable on ebay, but then shipping is even more expensive than the v-moda alternative.  otherwise, with those constraints, i'm afraid the only alternative seems to be diy.

wrt your taping issue, make sure you clean off both the headphone baffle and the earpads before applying the double-sided tape. use alcohol & clean thoroughly before applying the tape.  also, double-sided tape is available in various 'gripping' strengths, so choose accordingly.  as opposed to just 3 or 4 small pieces of tape, i would lay the tape completely around the earpad.

I've been using that cable for over a year and it fits great and has held up well.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10,264 of 11,345
Headband padding vs. (leather) strap.
Which is better and why?

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #10,265 of 11,345
Headband pad. I stole the one off of an old HD205 (i think it was). Almost looks stock and is very comfy.
Quote:
Which is better and why?

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #10,266 of 11,345
Quote:
Which is better and why?

They depend on what you like honestly.  I personally like the leather strap a lot more then padding just because it forms to my head better and I get better weight distribution.  But you might be different.  If you have ever tried headphones with a strap instead of padding then you can make the comparison for yourself.  

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #10,267 of 11,345
Well you start with the padded stuff when you're not sure, and move up to the leather when you're ready to have some real fun.

Oh wait... wrong forum...

ph34r.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #10,268 of 11,345
Quote:
Which is better and why?

Pros and cons for each of them.

(leather) strap method you can make a comfortable headband and still have it aerate properly.
The downside is these will not have the stability of the headband padding. The original headband is too heavy to allow it.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #10,269 of 11,345
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #10,270 of 11,345
Forgot to quote the guy asking about amps, but I can also recommend the Fiio E17. I am a big fan of that amp/dac.
Quote:
Which is better and why?

Leather strap, IMO. It better fits the shape of my head and distributes the weight evenly.. Of course, if you did the padding just right, you could accomplish this as well. Just easier with the strap because it naturally forms to your head.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #10,271 of 11,345
Anyone taken apart their drivers before? I have a set of T50RPs with no sound off the right driver, I have checked and double checked all the connections, down to using a battery to test the driver itself and I'm getting no sound. I'm thinking of taking one of the drivers apart to check if there is anything wrong inside but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them all back together. Do the magnets move out of alignment or anything if you take them apart? I know that the magnets heavily repel once you unscrew them, but there shouldnt be any wires inside right? 

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10,272 of 11,345
Hello head-fi community,

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to headphones and i hope i dont get linched for saying this. I am posting here hoping someone can help me and give me better recommendations. I have owned a pair of bose triport headphones for the past 7 years and been fairly happy with them. Unfortunately after long years of heavy duty use the materials have finally started to wear out and I had to replace cables and such to keep them going. So in hopes of getting a new pair of headphones I decided to buy the fostex t50rp headphones hoping i would get at least the same sound quality as my old bose and mod them to increase their performance. However after trying both of them (without any mods) i still prefer the bose over the fostexs by a large margin. How could this be?, Am i being trolled by my ears? do i need to wait till the drivers have "burned in" a bit to experience a better quality? I  want to mod the headphones using BMFs 8.1 guide but i am unsure if i should mod them or just return the headphones before i mes with them and get my money back. I am torn since i hear that these are supposed to be amazing cans after you mod them but i am unimpressed So my question is once you mod the t50rps will they sound (at least for me) just as good as the bose? also If someone has tried both these headphones please let me know whats your opinion comparing them.

Thank you for your help :)

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #10,273 of 11,345
Quote:
Hello head-fi community,

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to headphones and i hope i dont get linched for saying this. I am posting here hoping someone can help me and give me better recommendations. I have owned a pair of bose triport headphones for the past 7 years and been fairly happy with them. Unfortunately after long years of heavy duty use the materials have finally started to wear out and I had to replace cables and such to keep them going. So in hopes of getting a new pair of headphones I decided to buy the fostex t50rp headphones hoping i would get at least the same sound quality as my old bose and mod them to increase their performance. However after trying both of them (without any mods) i still prefer the bose over the fostexs by a large margin. How could this be?, Am i being trolled by my ears? do i need to wait till the drivers have "burned in" a bit to experience a better quality? I  want to mod the headphones using BMFs 8.1 guide but i am unsure if i should mod them or just return the headphones before i mes with them and get my money back. I am torn since i hear that these are supposed to be amazing cans after you mod them but i am unimpressed So my question is once you mod the t50rps will they sound (at least for me) just as good as the bose? also If someone has tried both these headphones please let me know whats your opinion comparing them.

Friend of mine bought T40RP and even after modding I didn't care for them, nor did he much. They were all midrange and not much else. I sold him my audiotechnica M50s and he much prefers those over the T40rp. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #10,274 of 11,345
Quote:
Hello head-fi community,

Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the sound; after seven years with one headphone absolutely anything will sound worse just because it's a change in how you're used to hearing your music. If after a week or so you still can't find any redeeming factor, go ahead and return them. They're probably not for you if that's the case. However, if you find something (anything) that you like about their sound after that time, I'd keep them and mod them to bring out more of that aspect in them. You can basically make the T50RP sound however you wish it to sound; you just need to like something about it to begin with or it's a lost cause.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10,275 of 11,345
Quote:
Hello head-fi community,

When I first put on the Fostex headphones I was very disapointed as well.  The big thing for me was there was no base. After about 10hours of burn in though they sounded a world better.  There was base.  Nice mids and nice highs.  After modding them though they are completely different.  To me there is nothing that matches it in its price range.  Even just replacing the pads made a big difference.  If you are skeptical do a couple mods that are reversable.  And if you are still not happy with them then undo the mods and return them.  Also they the T50RP benefits from an amp.  Even if it is just a small one.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back