Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Jun 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10,246 of 11,345

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #10,248 of 11,345
Quote:
this is the one that is typically recommended but only black is available currently:   http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/ 
you'll have to order directly from v-moda though.

fwiw, i'm still using the stock cable - just treated with deoxit.

Hey mate, thanks

I've been aware of that but I'm not a fan of paying 5$ shipping and it's not on amazon :frowning2:

Also I did not get a stock cable :|

============

My earpads have come loose, tried applying them with double sided tape but they aren't holding it, any tips or what should I do?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #10,250 of 11,345
Quote:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/992841_10201307627914746_1233540299_n.jpg

My modded T50rp. Has anyone used a Faber Castel Eraser instead of Blutak or Plasticine?. 

Those erasers aren't as dense if memory serves me right.
For these mods, people tend to prefer the higher density solution. Not to that those erasers are super expensive, but the price of 1 or 2 is enough to buy a big block of plasticine.

Might be a interesting project to try though.

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #10,251 of 11,345
I've finished the "first step" of my T50 Rp. They share some similarities with BMF mods. I'm really satisfied with them and their balanced neutrality but I think that I can do something more for the soundstage in the future. I've made them to be auditioned by a audiophile friend of mine who was skeptic before putting them on, but at the end he was amazed. I think he was not so happy in realizing that his new AD900X was not as good as the Fostex...

As I can see, there is a custom in this thread to give a name to our "creatures" or simply modded T50 RP, well mine will be named
"The What T50RP", one cause is the reaction when I listen to them and think what they can do for less than 100,oo Euro, Yes !  "What The F..., the second is grandiloquent and in honour of J.S. Bach as " The Well Temperd Fostex " is a perfect name for a re-equilibrated headphone, and what we do with our T50 is just to "temper" until we find them Ok, so I like this name.
Now I've sent them to an Italian guy who has got an headphone blog in Italy and reviews a lot of HPs. I'm curious to see if he find them so balanced, neutral and natural as I do.

Thank all of you for this fantastic thread!

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #10,252 of 11,345
If you would be so kind, would you mind sharing your mod with us?  Maybe with pictures 
biggrin.gif
.  If you do not thats fine too but I am very curious as to what you did.  

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #10,253 of 11,345
Sure! But I'm sorry because I haven't got the last/final version because I didn't want to touch them before the can be auditioned as the are.Then when they'll come back will open them again to take some photos hoping nothing will change in the sound. So, some of the photo here represent just foulty try. Now they have inside the cup a material similar to Paxmate, but it's bitumen + something textile like moquette. SRH 840 pads instead of SrH 940 and less cotton and (I'don't know the name) stone wool fiber inside as damper. 3/4 vents closed. Electrical tape to isolate cable (outside) plasticine Pongo to seal and isolate  the cables inside and I've reproduced the same amount of space occuped by the housing of the jack cable in the sx to the dx. Just thinking it will balance, but i don't know really.  A really ugly headband with elastic but comfy and improving SQ (may be better seal). Ah, now there is a lot less plasticine inside, no electrical tape dot in the back of the driver  and no cork anymore.

So, some of the photo are old and foulty:

I've tried other things, material and solutions, but i've nophoto and there was not good quality sound or improvements

Sorry for my poor English and poor photos, I will do better in the future!!!! (I hope)

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #10,254 of 11,345
Thank you for the beautiful pictures.  I like the cork idea seems interesting.  And I believe that most everyone uses 840 pads and not 940 pads.  I am excited to see the photos of the final product though.  And your english is excellent you have no need to worry.  

Jul 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #10,256 of 11,345
Quote:
has anyone tried enlarging the opening to allow bigger plugs to enter the jack?

Yes, a few people did it in the past. As long as you don't forget to seal off the extra opening it should be alright.
Depending on the jack, you can also decide to shave off part of the vinyl around the actual jack.

That said, I spotted another cable that can work for the T50RP (I suppose with a little bit of work on either the jack or the plug).
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=790
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=789
The first cable has one straight plug and one L plug. Comes in 0.5m, 1m, and 1.5m. I thought I saw some 0.7m but I the website says otherwise.
The second one has two straight plug but the cable is coiled. Comes in 0.4m and 0.6m... thought I saw longer ones lol.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #10,259 of 11,345
Quote:
Hey mate, thanks

I've been aware of that but I'm not a fan of paying 5$ shipping and it's not on amazon :frowning2:

Also I did not get a stock cable :|

============

My earpads have come loose, tried applying them with double sided tape but they aren't holding it, any tips or what should I do?

sorry to hear that you did not get a cable -- i could not find anything on amazon that is suitable for your needs.  you could take a gamble on these but i can't guarantee that they will fit properly:  http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MU6MMSRA-Right-Angle-Stereo/dp/B004G7SDES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372876203&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+cable

& if those don't work, you can get an original cable on ebay, but then shipping is even more expensive than the v-moda alternative.  otherwise, with those constraints, i'm afraid the only alternative seems to be diy.

wrt your taping issue, make sure you clean off both the headphone baffle and the earpads before applying the double-sided tape. use alcohol & clean thoroughly before applying the tape.  also, double-sided tape is available in various 'gripping' strengths, so choose accordingly.  as opposed to just 3 or 4 small pieces of tape, i would lay the tape completely around the earpad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back